U.S. Navy Not Fit For War

Metallurgist pleads guilty to fraud after falsifying steel-test results for Navy submarines

Tests were intended to show steel would not fail in submarines' collisions or in certain 'wartime scenarios'

A metallurgist in Washington state pleaded guilty to fraud Monday after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make U.S. Navy submarines.

Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding to make submarine hulls.

From 1985 through 2017, Thomas falsified the results of strength and toughness tests for at least 240 productions of steel — about half the steel the foundry produced for the Navy, according to her plea agreement, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The tests were intended to show that the steel would not fail in a collision or in certain "wartime scenarios," the Justice Department said.

Metallurgist pleads guilty to fraud after falsifying steel-test results for Navy submarines
How was there not a check/balance that didn’t catch this after 30 years?
If one of our sailor lost their life as a result I hope murder charges are in order

Reactions: NEO
US Navy names ship after Gay Rights Leader Harvey Milk: Transgender health expert smashes champagne on bow with sister vessels set to be christened after RFK and Rep. John Lewis

A Navy ship named for slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk, who served four years in the Navy before being forced out, was christened by a transgender veteran and launched in San Diego Bay on Saturday.

Milk was one of the first openly gay candidates elected to public office. He was serving on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1978 when a former political colleague, Dan White, assassinated him and Mayor George Moscone at City Hall.

The replenishment oiler USNS Harvey Milk slid down the shipyard ways after a bottle of champagne was smashed on the bow by former Navy officer Paula M. Neira, clinical program director for the John Hopkins Center for Transgender Health.

50146643-10172773-image-a-27_1636227316789.jpg

The U.S. Navy launches the USNS Harvey Milk, a fleet replenishment oiler ship named after the first openly gay elected official, in San Diego on Saturday

50146631-10172773-image-a-28_1636227321820.jpg

David Campos, left, vice chair of the California Democratic Party, takes a selfie with Nicole Murray-Ramirez, center, an LGBT activist, holding a photo of Harvey Milk, and Bevan Dufty, right, director of the San Francisco Bay area rapid transit district

Navy launches ship named for gay rights leader Harvey Milk | Daily Mail Online

This administration would take this country to the gates of hell if allowed.

Reactions: Tnslim1
That's a BS comment. Don't start trying to divide the military, Plenty of liberals volunteer to serve. Tell us about your service.

You finally get tired of ****ing with others and move on to me?

Served 20 years and honorably retired.

But don't talk to me about "dividing" the military. The current leadership is doing that well enough without me getting involved.

Marine Corps offers $144,000 salary for 'diversity, equity and inclusion' adviser

Adviser's duties include 'shifting the USMC cultural paradigm'

A job listing with the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) seeking a "diversity, equity and inclusion" adviser with a starting salary of $144,128 is gaining attention on social media.

The USMC is hiring the adviser to ensure that all "internal and external communications reflect diversity, equity, and inclusion," or DEI, and to develop tools that "enable shifting the USMC cultural paradigm for diversity, equity, and inclusion."

iStock-marines.jpg

The DEI adviser will work in collaboration with the Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) and the Diversity Review Board (DRB), the listing states. Duties include "the assessment of diversity and inclusion program effectiveness; design and lead implementation of process improvement initiatives; and provide executive level consultation," as well as the development and administering of training and education guidance to the CDO.

Marine Corps offers $144,000 salary for 'diversity, equity and inclusion' adviser

Adviser's duties include 'shifting the USMC cultural paradigm'

A job listing with the U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) seeking a "diversity, equity and inclusion" adviser with a starting salary of $144,128 is gaining attention on social media.

The USMC is hiring the adviser to ensure that all "internal and external communications reflect diversity, equity, and inclusion," or DEI, and to develop tools that "enable shifting the USMC cultural paradigm for diversity, equity, and inclusion."

iStock-marines.jpg

The DEI adviser will work in collaboration with the Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) and the Diversity Review Board (DRB), the listing states. Duties include "the assessment of diversity and inclusion program effectiveness; design and lead implementation of process improvement initiatives; and provide executive level consultation," as well as the development and administering of training and education guidance to the CDO.

The Marines don't need any change to their culture. Their culture is they whip ass.

Yeah. I know. The liberals have been quickly rotting every American institution from the inside out over the last 30 years.

Teh Marines aren't the fighting force people think they are. They just have a hell of a PR team.

It goes well beyond the Tomcat. Dr. Jerry Hendrix wrote a study called Retreat from Range several years ago. It's a great read if any of you wanted to download the pdf and read it.
Oh yea, the Intruder and its range is sorely missed as well.

Did @GreyWolf1129 ever chime in on this ^^

I did. Not sure in which thread. There has been more info since the initial event...I'm 21 years retired now, so things have obviously changed...I was never on the Pacific side...but I am very familiar with the game, so...

The fact that the C.O., X.O., and COB (Chief of the Boat) were relieved speaks volumes. While it's customary for the C.O. to get relieved for any grounding, collision, or other general screwup, the relief of the "Top 3" here tells me that there were issues with the training and monitoring of the Officers and Crew in general. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe in todays "PC Navy" this is just how it's done. But back in my day, it's the C.O., the OOD, the Navigator, and the Nav Watch / QMOW who get canned in an incident like this. Maybe they were, and it just never made the news. But firing the top of the command element on the sub means this was more than just a navigation failure.

She (UConn) was likely in International Waters. If you're looking for Red October-level drama here, change the channel or head over to another thread in the Politics forum. My guess is that she was navigating a tricky patch, and hit bottom, or a seamount. It can happen, especially in shallower waters. Marine Navigation, despite the near pinpoint accuracy of GPS, can still be tough. GPS signals do not penetrate seawater, so you have to have an antenna exposed to track GPS. Add in the third dimension (depth) of a submerged sub, and all it takes is a lack of general attention to the details, and suddenly you go "bump".

The "Connie" is going to be out of service for awhile. This was a major incident. Not at the level of what happened to the 711 boat, but still major. This is one of just three Seawolf class subs, and her being offline for that long is going to cause ripples throughout SubPac. Someone is going to have to pick up her slack, and for a long time.

The Navy is not going to disclose any significant info here on what happened, how, or why. That's a good thing. The more they say, the more our potential adversaries know about how our subs operate. So expect a very sanitized account of what happened, if even factually accurate. The less we say, the better for the next sub and crew that deploy to that area. Despite the YouTube videos (which are pure theatre, by the way), it largely remains the Silent Service, and for good reason. If the poop ever does hit the fan blades, there will be a least one sub, somewhere beneath the waves, that will make her presence felt. Remember Gulf War 1? Read up on the Pittsburgh and the Louisville. 'hawk shooters. And nobody on the other side had any idea they were within hundreds of miles until the missiles started hitting their targets.

So..that's all I know, and all I think I know. Nothing more to see here...move along.

;)

Last edited:
I did. Not sure in which thread. There has been more info since the initial event...I'm 21 years retired now, so things have obviously changed...I was never on the Pacific side...but I am very familiar with the game, so...

The fact that the C.O., X.O., and COB (Chief of the Boat) were relieved speaks volumes. While it's customary for the C.O. to get relieved for any grounding, collision, or other general screwup, the relief of the "Top 3" here tells me that there were issues with the training and monitoring of the Officers and Crew in general. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe in todays "PC Navy" this is just how it's done. But back in my day, it's the C.O., the OOD, the Navigator, and the Nav Watch / QMOW who get canned in an incident like this. Maybe they were, and it just never made the news. But firing the top of the command element on the sub means this was more than just a navigation failure.

She (UConn) was likely in International Waters. If you're looking for Red October-level drama here, change the channel or head over to another thread in the Politics forum. My guess is that she was navigating a tricky patch, and hit bottom, or a seamount. It can happen, especially in shallower waters. Marine Navigation, despite the near pinpoint accuracy of GPS, can still be tough. GPS signals do not penetrate seawater, so you have to have an antenna exposed to track GPS. Add in the third dimension (depth) of a submerged sub, and all it takes is a lack of general attention to the details, and suddenly you go "bump".

The "Connie" is going to be out of service for awhile. This was a major incident. Not at the level of what happened to the 711 boat, but still major. This is one of just three Seawolf class subs, and her being offline for that long is going to cause ripples throughout SubPac. Someone is going to have to pick up her slack, and for a long time.

The Navy is not going to disclose any significant info here on what happened, how, or why. That's a good thing. The more they say, the more our potential adversaries know about how our subs operate. So expect a very sanitized account of what happened, if even factually accurate. The less we say, the better for the next sub and crew that deploy to that area. Despite the YouTube videos (which are pure theatre, by the way), it largely remains the Silent Service, and for good reason. If the poop ever does hit the fan blades, there will be a least one sub, somewhere beneath the waves, that will make her presence felt. Remember Gulf War 1? Read up on the Pittsburgh and the Louisville. 'hawk shooters. And nobody on the other side had any idea they were within hundreds of miles until the missiles started hitting their targets.

So..that's all I know, and all I think I know. Nothing more to see here...move along.

;)
Appreciate the info!

You have any good links for this?

“Read up on the Pittsburgh and the Louisville. 'hawk shooters. And nobody on the other side had any idea they were within hundreds of miles until the missiles started hitting their targets.”

@GreyWolf1129

;)
This is the San Francisco after she struck a seamount. How in the world did she survive? Seems like pretty serious damage.

1639433904765.jpeg

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back