U.S. Navy Not Fit For War

We ever had an enlisted sailor command a ballistic missile boat?

Could be another chance to make history.

I did notice that she attended the Naval War College but was not listed as a graduate. Yea, I saw Phoenix too. I already made reference to the journalism major.

None of those would preclude her from being an effective officer. But they clearly don’t stack up to her peers.

But again, she wasn’t chosen for her actual credentials, which include two strike groups and Naval Forces Korea.

She was chosen to “make history”. Like so many others the Biden Democrats have tapped.

It’s a sad, silly game they’re playing. I hope it doesn’t get anyone hurt.

How does a person get a star without graduating War College? I thought that was a requirement to rise to O-6?

How does a person get a star without graduating War College? I thought that was a requirement to rise to O-6?
It’s not a requirement that I’m aware of. A masters degree I believe is.

If a flag officer did not attend the Naval Academy for undergraduate, you will often see Naval War College for their masters degree.

My question is why did she attend, but apparently not graduate. What happened?

Reactions: Orangeburst
My issue with this is Biden ignoring the advice of his cabinet and making what could be viewed (it already is) as a DEI hire.

At this point her qualifications don't even matter. She's already behind the 8 ball due to the incompetent behavior of the idiot in charge. She may be over qualified for the job, but the moment Biden went over the Secdef's head, she will be looked at and treated like nothing more than a diversity hire.

The moron in the White House set her up for failure as soon as he picked her. Now, had Austin submitted both to the President to pick, the situation might be different. But the only thing this Admin will do is celebrate the "first" instead of touting her qualifications for the job.
Will she ever go before congress where she could be ask why she didn’t complete War College? I think that’s a pretty important question. Flunked out should preclude her from position, was reassigned before she could complete might be acceptable

Will she ever go before congress where she could be ask why she didn’t complete War College? I think that’s a pretty important question. Flunked out should preclude her from position, was reassigned before she could complete might be acceptable
Ironically enough, Tommy T’s holdup (that is referenced in her WH announcement) opens her up to just that - questions.

There is absolutely nothing keeping military appointments from being confirmed.

He’s only derailed passing them along en masse.

Combatant Commanders execute the strategy and orders of the President.
The Joint Chiefs inform that strategy.
Ah yes. Just as I thought you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the roles of CNO and COCOM. COCOMs are the ones actually informing, building requirements, and executing the operations (if it ever comes to that). For example, we need these number of ships for a war with China based on how I intend to execute. CNO will use the COCOM requirements to make justifications, budget, and build long range plans.

CNO is dual hatted. Primary role is Administrative Control of the Navy. In simple terms his/her job is to man, train, and equip the Naval forces. Also as the primary Navy advisor to CJCS/SECDEF they will build long term plans based on COCOM requirements as menitoned above. For example, we know we need 360+ ships based on X requirements here is the plan to get there and oh BTW Congress I need XX billion dollars to get INDOPACOM what he needs. CNO is NOT an operational advisor to the President.

I want the Sailor that’s lived it, fought it, in those waters, informing the President on what the strategy vs China should be.

The primary command afloat that any Surface Warfare Officer can get is Carrier Strike Command as a 1 star. Franchetti did that (twice in fact). If you do well in that job you will put on a 2nd star and go serve on a staff. There are no higher Operational Afloat commands than CSG! She obviously commanded USS ROSS (Arliegh Burke class DDG) as an O-5. Oh yea, she also served as a Fleet Commander for Sixth Fleet as a 3 star. She has served in every command afloat role available and has done incredibly well in all.

“Standard”?
Is it “standard” to elevate a Vice Chief to Chief? I’ll wait.
About 1 in 4 VCNOs will become CNO. The last 2 to do it were ADM Greenert and ADM Mullen.

Exceptionally rare for PACFLT Commanders (ADM Paparo) to not fleet up to INDOPACOM and there is good reason for this. Any war in the INDOPACOM AOR is seen to heavily favor the Department of the Navy. You want the person who best understands the problem set and nuances to be in charge so generally PACFLT becomes INDOPACOM.

I did notice that she attended the Naval War College but was not listed as a graduate. Yea, I saw Phoenix too. I already made reference to the journalism major.

None of those would preclude her from being an effective officer. But they clearly don’t stack up to her peers.
Do you have a source that she was enrolled but didn't complete a Master's program at NWC? Please don't spread false information.

But again, she wasn’t chosen for her actual credentials, which include two strike groups and Naval Forces Korea.
Again you have no clue of the path a Flag Officer takes in the Navy. Commanded a ship, CSG (twice), CNFK, and a Fleet. There are literally no other operational jobs she could have taken outside of those.

Grand Vol said:
My issue with this is Biden ignoring the advice of his cabinet and making what could be viewed (it already is) as a DEI hire.
So you're actually siding with Lloyd Austin here? Lloyd Austin went off the reservation when recommending ADM Paparo. It's certainly not viewed as DEI hire by most in the military/Navy. ADM Franchetti is clearly the most qualified to take CNO and Paparo is more than qualified for INDOPACOM. There is a reason so many "in the know" were shocked when SECDEF recommended Paparo.. it went against the grain and was not seen as the best hire. Also left a hole in the INDOPACOM role.

Hog88 said:
How was her command? Was she a competent CO?
I have heard nothing but great things in her time in command of USS ROSS, CSG-9, and CSG-15.

Hog88 said:
No requirement in the Navy to have a Master's degree. Actually there are no hard educational requirements that I'm aware of for Flag Officer specifically. Generally the O-6 jobs will have some requirements. But to be viewed favorably at the Admiral Board you will absolutely need Joint experience (and thus complete Joint Professional Military Education Phase II) and have completed your Master's Degree.

Last edited:
Ah yes. Just as I thought you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the roles of CNO and COCOM. COCOMs are the ones actually informing, building requirements, and executing the operations (if it ever comes to that). For example, we need these number of ships for a war with China based on how I intend to execute. CNO will use the COCOM requirements to make justifications, budget, and build long range plans.

CNO is dual hatted. Primary role is Administrative Control of the Navy. In simple terms his/her job is to man, train, and equip the Naval forces. Also as the primary Navy advisor to CJCS/SECDEF they will build long term plans based on COCOM requirements as menitoned above. For example, we know we need 360+ ships based on X requirements here is the plan to get there and oh BTW Congress I need XX billion dollars to get INDOPACOM what he needs. CNO is NOT an operational advisor to the President.

The primary command afloat that any Surface Warfare Officer can get is Carrier Strike Command as a 1 star. Franchetti did that (twice in fact). If you do well in that job you will put on a 2nd star and go serve on a staff. There are no higher Operational Afloat commands than CSG! She obviously commanded USS ROSS (Arliegh Burke class DDG) as an O-5. Oh yea, she also served as a Fleet Commander for Sixth Fleet as a 3 star. She has served in every command afloat role available and has done incredibly well in all.

About 1 in 4 VCNOs will become CNO. The last 2 to do it were ADM Greenert and ADM Mullen.

Exceptionally rare for PACFLT Commanders (ADM Paparo) to not fleet up to INDOPACOM and there is good reason for this. Any war in the INDOPACOM AOR is seen to heavily favor the Department of the Navy. You want the person who best understands the problem set and nuances to be in charge so generally PACFLT becomes INDOPACOM.

Do you have a source that she was enrolled but didn't complete a Master's program at NWC? Please don't spread false information.

Again you have no clue of the path a Flag Officer takes in the Navy. Commanded a ship, CSG (twice), CNFK, and a Fleet. There are literally no other operational jobs she could have taken outside of those.

So you're actually siding with Lloyd Austin here? Lloyd Austin went off the reservation when recommending ADM Paparo. It's certainly not viewed as DEI hire by most in the military/Navy. ADM Franchetti is clearly the most qualified to take CNO and Paparo is more than qualified for INDOPACOM. There is a reason so many "in the know" were shocked when SECDEF recommended Paparo.. it went against the grain and was not seen as the best hire. Also left a hole in the INDOPACOM role.

I have heard nothing but great things in her time in command of USS ROSS, CSG-9, and CSG-15.

No requirement in the Navy to have a Master's degree. Actually there are no hard educational requirements that I'm aware of for Flag Officer specifically. Generally the O-6 jobs will have some requirements. But to be viewed favorably at the Admiral Board you will absolutely need Joint experience (and thus complete Joint Professional Military Education Phase II) and have completed your Master's Degree.
The Chairman of the JCS is quite literally the President’s senior uniformed “advisor”.
The JCS is the senior uniformed body that “advises” the President.

I like this too -

“Combatant commanders don’t execute the strategy, they execute the operations.”
- JFreak

What informs the operations?

Last edited:

1 in 4?

In the last 70 years there has been 1 Vice Chief ascend directly to Chief - Greenert.
Franchetti will make 2 in 70 years.

There have been more than that that went directly from Pacific Fleet to Chief in that same time period.

Did she graduate?

Multiples published bios allude to her attending Naval War College, but no degree is listed as being earned.

Her journalism degree from Northwestern and masters degree from University of Phoenix are listed.

You mad, bro?

Two Navy Sailors Arrested on ESPIONAGE charges for 'trying to sell national defense secrets to China'

• Jinchao Wei, 22, was arrested Wednesday for allegedly selling national defense information to Chinese officials
  • Petty Officer Wenheng Zhao, 26, was also arrested and was charged with conspiracy and receipt of a bribe from a Chinese official
Two U.S. Navy sailors have been arrested on espionage charges, accused of sending classified military information to a Chinese official.

Jinchao Wei, a 22-year-old sailor assigned to the USS Essex based in San Diego, was arrested Wednesday on a charge related to espionage involving conspiracy to send national defense information to Chinese officials, according to U.S. officials.

They said in a news conference that the sailor provided photos of military installations and sold 'scores' of technical documents, including manuals for submersibles.

73936531-12370251-image-a-2_1691088953805.jpg

Jinchao Wei, 22, was a machinist mate onboard the USS Essex (pictured here) when he allegedly sold information about the ship to a Chinese official

2 US Navy sailors arrested on charges tied to national... | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
You know every Chinese American that is serving honorably in our armed forces is looking at these two MFers and saying “Really? REALLY?!?!” and I’d guess would really like to handle these two amongst themselves.

Reactions: tntar heel
I wish the DOJ held bureaucrats and politicians to the same standard. But it's not a big deal when they choose cash over country.

'We have entrusted members of our military with tremendous responsibility and great faith,' U.S. Attorney Randy Grossman for the Southern District of California added at a news conference Thursday.

'Our nation's safety and security are in their hands. When a soldier or sailor chooses cash over country, and hands over national defense information in an ultimate act of betrayal, the United States will aggressively investigate and prosecute.'

Reactions: tntar heel
****ing Chinese spies everywhere
Trillions of dollars stolen, they throw the world into Covid madness
they opened China so America could sell them blue jeans and the reverse happened
DC is the biggest bunch of losers I have ever seen

****ing Chinese spies everywhere
Trillions of dollars stolen, they throw the world into Covid madness
they opened China so America could sell them blue jeans and the reverse happened
DC is the biggest bunch of losers I have ever seen

Including the halls of Congress, the White House and the Pentagon.

Reactions: Orangeburst
China and Russia send 'stark signal' to Undersized US Navy, Wicker says

China and Russia have sent a “stark signal” that U.S. naval forces will face increasing pressure from Moscow and Beijing, a top Republican argued following joint military exercises by the two regimes near Alaska.

“The scale and complexity of this Russian and Chinese naval deployment is unprecedented,” Senate Armed Services ranking member Roger Wicker (R-MS) said Monday. “While I am glad the U.S. Navy deployed four destroyers and a P-8 aircraft to monitor the fleet, the exercise serves as a stark signal that generational investments in U.S. shipbuilding and ship maintenance to maintain deterrence are more necessary than ever.”

China and Russia send 'stark signal' to undersized US Navy, Wicker says

China and Russia send 'stark signal' to Undersized US Navy, Wicker says

China and Russia have sent a “stark signal” that U.S. naval forces will face increasing pressure from Moscow and Beijing, a top Republican argued following joint military exercises by the two regimes near Alaska.

“The scale and complexity of this Russian and Chinese naval deployment is unprecedented,” Senate Armed Services ranking member Roger Wicker (R-MS) said Monday. “While I am glad the U.S. Navy deployed four destroyers and a P-8 aircraft to monitor the fleet, the exercise serves as a stark signal that generational investments in U.S. shipbuilding and ship maintenance to maintain deterrence are more necessary than ever.”

China and Russia send 'stark signal' to undersized US Navy, Wicker says
we have to start building ships..no money, no workers and no shipyards
instead we have blown trillions in futile war and domestic bs
we are so terribly governed

Reactions: Carl Pickens
U.S. Navy sends 4 destroyers to Alaska coast after 11 Chinese, Russian warships spotted in nearby waters - CBS News

China and Russia have increased their ties amid tensions with the U.S. over Taiwan and Ukraine, making situations like this more alarming.

In a statement, the Chinese embassy said the patrol was part of an annual cooperation plan and "has nothing to do with the current international and regional situations."
"nearby"

So let me get this straight, the US can (justifiably) have concerns about Russian or Chinese ships moving "nearby" Alaska, but China isn't allowed to have the same concerns when the US passes near Taiwan or NATO arms and trains a proxy Army in Ukraine for 8 years?

"nearby"

So let me get this straight, the US can (justifiably) have concerns about Russian or Chinese ships moving "nearby" Alaska, but China isn't allowed to have the same concerns when the US passes near Taiwan or NATO arms and trains a proxy Army in Ukraine for 8 years?

No

"nearby"

Taiwan doesn’t belong to China.
Ukraine doesn’t belong to Russia.

Alaska does belong to the US.

Reactions: hog88
Lisa Franchetti takes over as acting Navy head - despite not being the first choice of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin

The first woman took over as chief of the US Navy in 'acting capacity,' even though Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin nominated someone else for the role.

Chief of Naval Ops. Adm. Mike Gilday retired and handed the torch to Navy Admiral Lisa Franchetti, who will serve in an acting capacity until officially confirmed by the Senate after her nomination by President Joe Biden.

If confirmed, Franchetti would make history as the first woman to serve on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

74313269-12406691-The_first_woman_took_over_as_chief_of_the_US_Navy_in_acting_capa-a-2_1692055052646.jpg

Lisa Franchetti takes over as acting Navy head - despite not being the first choice of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin | Daily Mail Online

VN Store

Back