UAB game discussion

Anybody check out the video highlights?

Here are some more UAB links that may be of interest to some of you:

Dragonzrealm - (UAB Athletic History site)

UABsports - (Official UAB Athletics website)

BlazerFiles - (UAB Athletics Picture and Video website)

BlazerTalk - (Most active UAB Athletics forum)

How 'bout a little fun wager between us Blazey?? If we beat UAB you change your avatar to something pro-Vols and post at least one pro-Vol
message for a week, and if the stars should fall out of alignment and UAB beats us, I will do the same, except with a Blazer avatar and post about the Blazers.

Whaddya say??

Shoot... we dont have to wager to do that. I'll be here to offer my congratulations even if UAB should lose. But asking me to put that much orange in my avatar... that's a bit too much to ask. :laugh1: :D

to make it fair for blazer, y not give uab a certain amount of points? seems like blazer is a little too chicken to take the bet anyways.

Some of you seem so confident in a win, I'm concerned for your mental state if we do pull off the upset. UNLV's defense scored 17 on the Vols? Well I did a little research a found out just how potent UNLV's offense really is...

UNLV last year scored only:

3 against Wisconsin
10 against Air Force
13 against Nevada
10 against Colorado St.
3 against San Diego St.

Hardly impressive. I know anything can happen in any game, but your defense was not terribly impressive last year when looking at the scores from your games and the scores of your opponents other games. You had better hope your defense is just a TAD better than last year's or UAB will be scoring a few more than 17pts like some of you are predicting.

Man you just dont get it do you? Our defense is so much better than last year that it is unreal. We will not lose to yalls scrub mid major team. Hackney is alright but not great enough to pull off the upset aginst us. We have the best d-line in the nation, a very strong linebacker corps with some freshmna at linebacker that could start anywhere in the country, and a pretty deep db corps that is starting to jell real well.

well, u keep on bringing up stats from last year and see how much that helps u this year. we started 2 freshmen corners, a freshman qb, not to mention we were probably the youngest team in the sec. have u checked the boxscore of that game? maybe they scored against the mop up crew late in the game.

why is it that all uab fans seem to insist that this games outcome will depend on what uab brings? none of them want to acknowledge that utks offense could run roughshod all over uabs inexperienced defense if they are on nor do they want to admit that utks front 7 could shut down any run offense brought by the blazers. i seriously doubt that hackney will beat ut by himself. yeah, uab has a chance to win, but that depends on how many players on the ut squad are locked in the locker room before the game. u have to look at it both ways.

uabs decent offense led by a great qb vs uts all american led defense
other than a few busted downfield coverages, this shouldnt be a matchup

uts extremely balanced and potent offense vs uabs young defense led by a great d end
a few blown blocking assignments could give ut fits, but the offense has too many weapons

u honestly have no idea how much talent utk has. yes, i understand that intangibles could play a factor. maybe fulmer and the crew overlook uab, but i think that would be fixed by halftime. yes we may come in emotionally down, but i seriously doubt that with 108,000 fans bearing down on the teams.

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 7, 2005 12:54 PM
Man you just dont get it do you?  Our defense is so much better than last year that it is unreal.  We will not lose to yalls scrub mid major team.  Hackney is alright but not great enough to pull off the upset aginst us.  We have the best d-line in the nation,  a very strong linebacker corps with some freshmna at linebacker that could start anywhere in the country,  and a pretty deep db corps that is starting to jell real well.
[snapback]123239[/snapback]​

I havent heard that before... Yeah, our defense may not have been great last year, but just you wait this year, it'll be COMPLETELY different. :unsure:

Look... I'm not doubting it will be BETTER, but there are few teams in the SEC with the kind of offensive firepower that UAB has and that's just the facts. Do you think it's any wonder that so many QBs and WRs in the NFL came from CUSA? You can belittle the conference all you'd like, but the offensive prowess of teams from this conference speaks for itself with the guys playing in the NFL and the type of offensive averages we have. We scored on average of about 34 points per game last year. Did any of your opponents last year AVERAGE 34 points per game? I wouldnt expect you to think youre going to lose, but come on now.

Wait wait wait... I think I've seen a few more UT games than you all have seen UAB games. With all the national exposure you guys get, I doubt there are many that dont know about UT's talent. There's no debate there.

hahahahahahahahahahah. Everything you just stated is just plain dumb. Do you know how good defense is in the sec. So what you are saying is that your offense is better than Auburn? what you are saying is your offense was better than Georgia? what you are saying is your offense is better than Forida? I guess that is why yall went to a BIG time bow game, oh wait no you didnt.

there it is again. all about uab, blah blah blah. i seriously, seriously doubt that uab has seen a defense like this. our young and injured defense gave up too many points against vandy and kentucky.

just because u put up points against tulane and southern miss dont mean u will put up points against utk.

yeah, their offense is better than aus from last year. in case u didnt know, this is the same au offense that had their whole offensive backfield drafted in the first round with 2-4 wrs that will be drafted this year or next and an offensive lineman or two that will be drafted in the first 3 rounds, but the all great hackney will surpass that by himself i suppose.

hey blazer talk all u want about our stats man but ur defense is horrible.

here are some scores from last year.

RECORD: 7-5
9-4-04 BAYLOR WON 56-14
9-18-04 at Florida State LOST 7-34
9-25-04 MEMPHIS WON 35-28
10-2-04 at Cincinnati WON 30-27
10-9-04 at Mississippi State WON 27-13
10-15-04 TCU (Fri.) WON 41-25
10-23-04 at Tulane LOST 55-59
11-3-04 SOUTH FLORIDA (Wed.) LOST 20-45
11-13-04 HOUSTON WON 20-7
11-20-04 at Army WON 20-14
11-27-04 at Southern Miss LOST 21-26
HAWAI'I BOWL @Honolulu, HI
12-24-04 vs. Hawai'i LOST 40-59

damn man 45 points to south floridan... 59 to hawaii.... barely beat army. 59 to tulane. shootout after shootout.

aint gonna happen in neyland my man. after the first 3 and out all the life will be gone from ur team. peace.

yeah that must be it. But I think we would average 45 points if we played CUSA. Its easy to rack up pointsaginst no name defenses.

oh yeah as far as the 17 to unlv. one field goal early in the game after a bad kick off.

a 7 play 80 yard drive on our 1/2 first string and 1/2 second string defense in the 3rd qt.

9 play 73 drive on the second team late in the 4th.

and everytime that they scored we matched it with a td on our next drive every time.

so shut up.... keep on keepin on brother.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 7, 2005 3:00 PM
I havent heard that before...  Yeah, our defense may not have been great last year, but just you wait this year, it'll be COMPLETELY different.  :unsure:

Look... I'm not doubting it will be BETTER, but there are few teams in the SEC with the kind of offensive firepower that UAB has and that's just the facts.  Do you think it's any wonder that so many QBs and WRs in the NFL came from CUSA?  You can belittle the conference all you'd like, but the offensive prowess of teams from this conference speaks for itself with the guys playing in the NFL and the type of offensive averages we have.  We scored on average of about 34 points per game last year.  Did any of your opponents last year AVERAGE 34 points per game?  I wouldnt expect you to think youre going to lose, but come on now.
[snapback]123242[/snapback]​

Blazer, I respect every team that tennessee plays because as you know anything can happen and occaisionally the major underdog can pull the major upset. HOWEVER, now you are getting a little crazy. First UAB averaged 31 points a game but also gave up nearly 30. And please don't start comparing UAB to an SEC team. Let's look at UAB's opponents final Sagarin Rankings:

Baylor #103
FSU #16 (lost - never was in the game)
Memphis #75
Cincinnati #65
Mississippi St. #114
TCU #91
Tulane #117 (lost-ouch losing to #117 hurts the resume)
South Florida #116 (lost-WOW lost to #116 by 25 at HOME)
Houston #113
Army #127
Southern Miss #73 (lost)
Hawaii #74 (lost)

Now for the SEC
Tennessee #15
Florida #30
Georgia #11
SC #54
Kentucky #125
Vandy #112
Bama #59
Auburn #2
LSU #18
Ole Miss #82
Miss St #114
Arkansas #44

I think you get the picture. Blazer with that pitiful schedule you guys won 7 games last year. Don't get me wrong, 7 games is good for UAB. They haven't won more then that in 12 years.

I can appreciate the fact that you are a big fan and are excited about the prospects of the upcoming season. After all, every team is undefeated right now. But when you start touting UAB's offense as one the best in the SEC, it hurts your credibility somewhat. Anything can happen and I don't blame you for hoping for the best, but to expecting to win is.....a longshot at best.

I just want to see Hackney try to throw off Jesse like he does to them weak d-linmen in CUSA. Cant wait to see him try to stiff arm him and get his arm broken.

You dont have to believe me... again, you guys are starting #3 in the nation. Why on earth would a "midmajor" like UAB come up there and shock them at home? Stranger things have happened and if you have watched very much football in your life, you would know that. You think #1 Kentucky thought ANYTHING of UAB when they had to face us in the NCAA Tourney?? Granted that's basketball, but all CUSA ever hears is the SEC this and the SEC that. The "SEC" designation beside Kentucky's name didnt get them the W against our basketball team and nor while it for UT's football team.

Here's another stat for you. Kentucky's football team scored 31 points on UT's defense... Kentucky scored 7 points on Miss St... UAB scored 27 points on Miss State. You guys defense last year speaks for itself. I have no reason to believe your defense will be dominant all of a sudden this year just like you have no reason to believe me when I tell you how good our offense is. UAB lost two our top 2 DBs early in the season. Our secondary was horrible last year, but they will be MUCH improved with those guys back and several good new guys in. And as far as rush defense, we were not bad at all. That DeAngelo from Memphis that some of you are worried about didnt even get 100 yards rushing against UAB last year.

The "SEC" name means nothing to me. Sorry guys. I respect certain teams for the teams they have, but I do NOT bow down and respect every team in the league because theyre from the mighty SEC. Southern Miss, Memphis, and UAB may be in a "lesser" league, but we've had our share of wins against BCS conference schools. You guys think I'm crazy for thinking we can win? Well whatever, but our football team is not afraid of any team. We may get beat and may get beat handily, but we learn from that and pick up a nice check in the process. UAB is gaining the motto of Southern Miss... any school, any time, anywhere. And who knows... you may lose 90% of the time, but there's 1 in 10 games that youre bound to win. UAB became Divison I in 1996 and has come a LONG way since then. If you expect the same UAB team you faced in 1998, you're sadly mistaken. UAB's team is MUCH better than that team you guys faced in just our SECOND year of Division I ball and UT still has yet to prove whether they'll be as good as the 1998 national championship team.

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 7, 2005 2:01 PM
I just want to see Hackney try to throw off Jesse like he does to them weak d-linmen in CUSA.  Cant wait to see him try to stiff arm him and get his arm broken.
[snapback]123262[/snapback]​

See the stiff arm Hackney is giving that guy in my sig? That's not the CUSA (though he did it to plenty in CUSA).

Wow... doesnt take much to get under your skin folks does it. Just believe my team wont get blown out and you go gettin' hated on. :laugh1:

Yeah i guess we got it wrong, I guess espn gots it wrong for rating our defense high, I guess every sporting news area all over the country has got it wrong cause you say that they wont be better. I guess it matters when you lose two db's, but when we say that our db's are going to be better cause they are older and more mature. I guess It doesnt matter that you guys lost the 2nd best , if not the best player in your team last year to the nfl draft. yeah I guess that us giving up all them points to kentucky and vandy really meant something, besides the fact they were clearl lookig past them and getting ready for Auburn, but you wouldnt know anything about that cause your team i snever good enough to be able to look past a team to study for a harder game and still win the game. Yeah I guess everyone has got it wrong and that 22 point line that has been set for us to beat you is just stupid. yeah yeah get out of here with that crap.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Aug 7, 2005 3:05 PM
See the stiff arm Hackney is giving that guy in my sig?  That's not the CUSA (though he did it to plenty in CUSA). 

Wow... doesnt take much to get under your skin folks does it. Just believe my team wont get blown out and you go gettin' hated on.  :laugh1:
[snapback]123264[/snapback]​

Ok we will see when you got big jesse coming straight at hackney. I dont think I have seen him miss a tackle all of last year. can any one else remember a time when he did?

Wow... and you guys are different from the Bammers how? Yeah right. So much for the classy fans. Nothing I have said is anything but facts. Facts about UAB or facts about UT. That's not smack talk or whatever the crap you'd like to think. If the facts offend you, then I'm sorry, but just about everything I've stated is either fact or MY opinion which I am entitled to just as much as you are yours. I'll wait for the intelligent, classy UT fans to discuss this game with. You others that want to write UAB off as a quick, easy win, go about your lives and dont bother with the thread since youre so sure of yourselves.

Come on now. You are the one being crazy man. To say that our defense is barley better than yours is just crazy. to say we wont easliy win the game is crazy too. All I did was state facts and it looks like you cant except it.

VN Store

Back