UT’s NIL program - The Vol Club

Yes, i do think they should pay more. Simce the NCAA screwed athletes for decades out of millions of dollars so the fans could be entertained, i think we should be happy to give a few bucks per month.

Or at least dont complain when your favorite team falls behind.

Where did those millions come from? I'll hang up and listen.

I understand the way in which NIL has morphed and the importance of having the funds to obtain these athletes across major sports, but the idea that every fan should pay more for what amounts to a wave while the major power players who have been whales for time immemorial will continue giving the brunt of the cash/receive a seat at the table makes the concept unappealing. If 10k VolNation members give $60 a year, they collectively get nothing while one guy giving $600k gets a dedicated line and input into the program and the offer sheet. It would be great to have everyone contribute, but that's kind of a hard sell.

Reactions: tbh and loservol
Where did those millions come from? I'll hang up and listen.

I understand the way in which NIL has morphed and the importance of having the funds to obtain these athletes across major sports, but the idea that every fan should pay more for what amounts to a wave while the major power players who have been whales for time immemorial will continue giving the brunt of the cash/receive a seat at the table makes the concept unappealing. If 10k VolNation members give $60 a year, they collectively get nothing while one guy giving $600k gets a dedicated line and input into the program and the offer sheet. It would be great to have everyone contribute, but that's kind of a hard sell.
That's not unusual for any system.

60k workers may have an issue with a company policy but it's a VP who has the CEOs ear about the issue.

We see an issue and tell people to call their Congressman to whom they donated when he won his election, but it's the fat cat who held a fundraiser at his house for the Representative who has his cell number.

There's always a pecking order in life. Money talks. More money talks louder.

Reactions: ThanksMurphy
Any dollar spent should be viewed as an investment. I agree with many posters here and elsewhere in their concerns about: (1) the increasing nature of demands from players and their families. The Slippery Slope, as some call it; (2) the apparent fallacy of the valuation metrics being publicly broadcast (i.e. On3); although not sure how much of that the Volunteer Club relies on as I hear, it's not too much of a factor as TVC apparently does its own valuations. I could be wrong; and (3) there are lots of struggling fans that this might upset, when they're already spending so much more on tickets, $14 Miller Lites, and all than ever before, in an economy with an increasing individual debt load.

However, and again, every dollar spent should be viewed as an investment. I was hesitant for a long time and, occasionally, downright salty about the direction college football is headed. Nonetheless, I recently pulled the trigger and joined TVC within the past couple of weeks for the following reasons:

(1) I choose to invest in what I love. Outside of people both living and no longer, UT Football is something I love more than most. While I may not be a high-level current donor, I do plan to increase my contribution over time.
(2) I want to see UT succeed;
(3) This, whether I like it or not (mainly not), is the way College Football is both operated and won now. Either I get with the times or the times get me.
(4) Other schools are expanding their war chest at the same time and, while, many of the dollars percentage-wise are likely currently from big donors; there's no greater power than that of the Orange-clad masses collectively putting together their two cents to eventually take over UGA and Bama.
(5) While it may currently be the most free market of any market in America right now, that is opportunity. It's the Gold Rush in California. We are at a precipice in football where the economic concept of Economies of Scale is kicking in like never before. Those with money and increasing pools of it, will continue to win and continue to separate from those without and with decreasing pools, who will decline in competitiveness. Any organization willing to pay its talent at a better rate than its competitors will, over time, acquire greater in quality and quantity of talent.

Thanks for all you do, including weathering the storm and wading through the unchartered waters of the NIL world.

Go Big Orange!
This is a great overview… and one that outlines both personal and practical reasons… Go big orange!

Why would you think an upperclassman that is playing and contributing shouldn’t get paid? This is just the market adjusting. Usually in the end the ones with the most capital and the smartest people in charge of it win in free market situations; NIL is a huge strength for Tennessee in that regard.
I personally think that keeping the good players you already have, and know is by far more valuable than risking everything on a player in the portal or a freshman…

Why isn't TV revenue paying for the talent?

I'm not opposed to contributing but with all of the realignment and billion dollar TV deals it seems odd to have Joe six-pack paying for kids to get national exposure and an education.
Several great ideas are floating around about this. The TCA has an idea that I think is wonderful.

Collectives Join the TCA
Collectives agree to rules (much like universities agree to NCAA rules)
A portion of the TV revenue is sent to the TCA
TCA divides it up and sends to member collectives
Collectives in the TCA follow the rules or lose the TV revenue share.

One additional note. While I would love for every single UT fan to join TVC… I do respect and understand that not everyone will want to or have the means to. In addition, fans are already asked to spend a lot. For each fan, it is a personal decision and I see no need to shame or blame anyone for their choice. Every dollar someone spends towards the program matters. Tickets, Tennessee Fund, TVC, TV packages, merch.. All of that matters and helps.

That's not unusual for any system.

60k workers may have an issue with a company policy but it's a VP who has the CEOs ear about the issue.

We see an issue and tell people to call their Congressman to whom they donated when he won his election, but it's the fat cat who held a fundraiser at his house for the Representative who has his cell number.

There's always a pecking order in life. Money talks. More money talks louder.

Oh, 100%. It works this way everywhere, it's simply how things operate.

That being said, don't be surprised when employees laugh at the notion of donating PTO for whatever cause and people don't bother participating in the political system. When a select few have an outsized influence, shouldn't it be their burden to make sure that things are running smoothly? People are free to point to the collective good when attempting to fundraise, and it clearly works to an extent, but it's also a lazy way of doing things.

I personally feel that Spyre/The Volunteer Club should be more focused on coaxing the major donors and securing more substantive corporate sponsors/Knoxville businesses (shouldn't be hard, this is the University of Tennessee) before looking towards volume donations on fan forums. 4,000 members is pretty good, and growing that number by pointing to recruiting trail wins would probably be easier than saying that the results are in the mail.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Oh, 100%. It works this way everywhere, it's simply how things operate.

That being said, don't be surprised when employees laugh at the notion of donating PTO for whatever cause and people don't bother participating in the political system. When a select few have an outsized influence, shouldn't it be their burden to make sure that things are running smoothly? People are free to point to the collective good when attempting to fundraise, and it clearly works to an extent, but it's also a lazy way of doing things.

I personally feel that Spyre/The Volunteer Club should be more focused on coaxing the major donors and securing more substantive corporate sponsors/Knoxville businesses (shouldn't be hard, this is the University of Tennessee) before looking towards volume donations on fan forums. 4,000 members is pretty good, and growing that number by pointing to recruiting trail wins would probably be easier than saying that the results are in the mail.
Trust me when I say this. We can do both and do it very efficiently. The bulk of the focus by leadership is on the boosters and businesses. Individual fan membership is largely supported by a group of 15 volunteers that don’t get paid anything for their efforts. We call them Captains and I am one of them. I can see how the perception that TVC focuses too much on individual memberships exists.. However, that is because the 15 volunteers are very aggressive on forums and social media in spreading the word. Captains also support local “chapters” all over the state and in other large markets outside of Tennessee.

Ask for it to be earmarked for the South Stadium Men's Restrooms...

TroughUrinal.jpg

If my company has 100k for NIL. Do I go have to go through sprye?or can I DIrectly.
No. A company can work out a deal with any player directly. Although, depending on the players contract, the collective might be entitled to recoup some of that. Depends on the contract language and player.

Another great event. Hoops and Holiday event allowed members to mingle with several starting basketball players and Rick Barnes at the Spyre
office on December 18th.IMG_4342.jpeg665FD46D-745A-4737-BE95-42F92EB41EE3.jpeg

VN Store

Back