UT Players out for Outback Bowl (merged)

Great!!! 9-5 here we come!!!

Man...I hope our fortunes turn soon...

Suddenly...I'm not looking forward to anything UT football related....this season or next

Look, I expect to hear a bunch of rooting for the Vols to win from Viet Nam!!! :glare:

I will be up at 11:30 pm here to listen. I am taking Jan 2 off, so I can stay up late the night before.

Speaking of VOL fans in Vietnam. About a month ago I was in this small Vietnam beach town called Vang Tau. Anyway, I was about to walk in this small restaurant, when I saw this Vietnamese kid cleaning fish. He was wearing a VOLS hat. I tried to ask where he got it, but he spoke no english. It really shocked me......:eek:hmy:

I will be up at 11:30 pm here to listen. I am taking Jan 2 off, so I can stay up late the night before.

Speaking of VOL fans in Vietnam. About a month ago I was in this small Vietnam beach town called Vang Tau. Anyway, I was about to walk in this small restaurant, when I saw this Vietnamese kid cleaning fish. He was wearing a VOLS hat. I tried to ask where he got it, but he spoke no english. It really shocked me......:eek:hmy:
That, my friend, is awesome!!!! :rock:

As an alumnus, I find the mortifying fact that 7% of our scholarship players are academically ineligible to be more troubling than any of the on-the-field implications for this meaningless bowl game. This is embarrassing.

As an alumnus, I find the mortifying fact that 7% of our scholarship players are academically ineligible to be more troubling than any of the on-the-field implications for this meaningless bowl game. This is embarrassing.

It's going to be even more embarrassing when we get beat.....

again.:banghead2:

I'm not even that pissed about Kenny ONeal, we took a risk on him to begin with. So i'm willing to admit that it might have been just a shot in the dark. But with Chris Donald and some of these other guys that had extremely bright futures, I feel like it's just a shame. Bolden is borderline mentally retarded, if you've ever heard him speak in an interview you would agree, so it doesn't surprise me that he is having a hard time in class. But McCoy seems "reasonably" bright and Donald has always been fairly well spoken (which is indicative of being reasonably bright).

It just seems weird that we've got 2 WRs that are academically ineligible and our WR coach bolts at the first chance to another school. We could have all understood him taking the leap to Baylor since that's his alma mater, but he bolted pretty quickly at the first opportunity.

Perhaps he was afraid that this stuff was going to come out, and he would somehow be labeled as implicitly responsible for allowing it to happen on his watch. In terms of his career (which is a recruiter, not a coach) he probably needed to move on.

It's going to be even more embarrassing when we get beat.....

again.:banghead2:

It's always embarrassing to lose ho-hum bowl games to mediocre opponents, but IMO it's even more embarrassing to have two full nights (so far) of MORE TENNESSEE PLAYERS RULED INELIGIBLE crawling across the bottom of ESPN. There's no excuse for having six guys out of the game because of grades.

It's always embarrassing to lose ho-hum bowl games to mediocre opponents, but IMO it's even more embarrassing to have two full nights (so far) of MORE TENNESSEE PLAYERS RULED INELIGIBLE crawling across the bottom of ESPN. There's no excuse for having six guys out of the game because of grades.
I agree that sucks big time but we aren't the only school with that happening (see FSU). What's going on with the academic oversight that should be in place at these major universities?

Bolden does not surpise me he has skated on the razors edge from day 1.

I am VERY dissapointed in Taylor. I thought he was a leader one of those who quietly goes about taking care of business. I thought he was reliable and now he has let down his team and his fans.

Rico is somewhat surprising.

Oneill is a screw up.

I never dreamed I would do this, but I've got to defend Trooper Taylor. Unless UT does its business in a different manner than 5 other D-I schools whose academic operations I know a fair bit about, he has no responsibility for monitoring his players' academic progress. That falls squarely and totally on the academic support staff.

I never dreamed I would do this, but I've got to defend Trooper Taylor. Unless UT does its business in a different manner than 5 other D-I schools whose academic operations I know a fair bit about, he has no responsibility for monitoring his players' academic progress. That falls squarely and totally on the academic support staff.
I have to give you credit for being this reasonable and passing up the huge opportunity to take another shot at Trooper.

Then he should be on the support staffs asses to be sure his guys will be on the field.

Then he should be on the support staffs asses to be sure his guys will be on the field.
I disagree. The support staff should do their damn jobs. They've got the cushiest jobs in the athletic department. It's not too much to expect them to pay attention. A bunch of those guys should be unemployed come Monday.

I disagree. The support staff should do their damn jobs. They've got the cushiest jobs in the athletic department. It's not too much to expect them to pay attention. A bunch of those guys should be unemployed come Monday.
While what you're saying is true, I still assert that the "buck stops at the coaches feet". When was the last time you read anywhere that student athletes being academically ineligible was the responsibility of the support staff? My point was and remains that if I'm their coach it's my responsibility they are making their academic progress that keeps them on the field or my ass is in a crack because they aren't.

When was the last time you read anywhere that student athletes being academically ineligible was the responsibility of the support staff?
You know me better than to think what some sportwriter puts out is going to make me ignore what I know to be reality. The only information coaches get about academic issues comes from the support staff. If those guys aren't diligent enough, the solution is simple. The coach goes to the AD and has them terminated. Coaches have enough to do without having to perform the jobs of guys being paid well to do easy jobs.

You know me better than to think what some sportwriter puts out is going to make me ignore what I know to be reality. The only information coaches get about academic issues comes from the support staff. If those guys aren't diligent enough, the solution is simple. The coach goes to the AD and has them terminated. Coaches have enough to do without having to perform the jobs of guys being paid well to do easy jobs.
That's my point exactly. The due diligence of making sure your guys are making the grade is tantamount to your own success. If the people responsible for that job aren't doing it, they need to hit the highway.

On Christmas Eve? That's rough lol.

Everyone seems to be blaming everybody possible except the players themselves. Players can get all the help in the world, but college athletics is about going to school as well as competing for your institution. The players need to be more accountable for what they do off the field.

VN Store

Back