Veterans, where you served

T
I spent a year at the NRO (Chantilly) and 3 working on the Air Staff (Rosslyn). We were supposed to be in the Pentagon but I got there in 03 and between 9/11 and the renovations that started before 9/11, a lot of organizations were farmed out in the local area.
There has been so much reorganization and name changing since I was in , I gotta look stuff up. The focus then was the Soviet Union and we talked to defectors coming across from Easter Europe.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Air Force 90-95.
Albuquerque (Kirtland AFB)
Bitburg, Germany (Bitburg AB)
Warner Robins, GA (Robins AFB)
Welcome . You get to see the hot air balloons in Albequerque? Wife and son went for a visit. I got pics and a t-shirt. Looked really awesome. What did you think of Germany? I loved it. Great wine and beer and amazing history and trains you can about set your watch too. But, that was 50 years ago. Would love to go back.

Welcome . You get to see the hot air balloons in Albuquerque? Wife and son went for a visit. I got pics and a t-shirt. Looked really awesome. What did you think of Germany? I loved it. Great wine and beer and amazing history and trains you can about set your watch too.
Yeah…wouldn’t mind taking the wife. Fall is way more pleasant in NM (Sandia Mountains) than flatter Texas. Miss the food and vibe, but the crime has ratcheted up!

Germany was awesome! Always something to do and I dig colder climes. Music, festivals and being able to drive to other countries like neighboring states. They didn’t have the Euro when I served, so the exchange rate of dollar vs deutsche mark was profitable to young enlisted.

Yeah…wouldn’t mind taking the wife. Fall is way more pleasant in NM (Sandia Mountains) than flatter Texas. Miss the food and vibe, but the crime has ratcheted up!

Germany was awesome! Always something to do and I dig colder climes. Music, festivals and being able to drive to other countries like neighboring states. They didn’t have the Euro when I served, so the exchange rate of dollar vs deutsche mark was profitable to young enlisted.
Ever make it to Munich for Oktoberfest? I never msde it east . Went south down to Italy.

Reactions: butchna
Ever make it to Munich for Oktoberfest? I never msde it east . Went south down to Italy.
Yeah to Munich. Would’ve traded it for Italy. Missed out when my truck gave up it’s transmission ghost near Kaiserslautern and I had to use the funds earmarked to join my medical group for a December trip to Rome.

Sucks about the truck. Would liked to have seen the Black forest but there was a lot close going south. The Army ran an r&r place in mountains near Garmisch where the winter 1936 olympcs were held. The area was liberated during wwII and immediately turned into use for r&r. Just found out retirees outside of europe (and some other civilian) can now book rooms there. And as you said, it's like traveling state to state here . Austria and Italy are close. The amazing thing is a couple of years ago my son got to go to Italy for a week with work and went to a lot of the same places in Rome and Florence. That was awesome. I have been blessed.

Brothers I’m kindly in the struggle today. Got death and devastation all around. Again. Pass on a word if you can…

Navy pilot 1982-91
NAS Pensacola
NAS Whiting Field, Fl
NAS Corpus Christi
NAS Jacksonville
NAS Brunswick Me
Deployment Bermuda, Keflavik Iceland, Thule Greenland, Rota Spain, Lajes Azores, Rosey Roads PR
Operation Desert Storm

What airframe? Do any flying after the military?

Reactions: me_grag53
Brothers I’m kindly in the struggle today. Got death and devastation all around. Again. Pass on a word if you can…

Tri-Cities guy? If you know of anyone cut off and in critical need of supplies, let me know. Same goes for anyone missing or needing a ride out. It would have to get passed through the proper channels, but we will be out flying missions again the next few days.

AF 2002-2006
Various training assignments - mid/late 2002
McGuire AFB - 2002-05
Seymour Johnson - 2005-06 (RIF'ed)
Deployments - Al Jaber, Kuwait and Port Mortuary-Dover, Delaware

Navy pilot 1982-91
NAS Pensacola
NAS Whiting Field, Fl
NAS Corpus Christi
NAS Jacksonville
NAS Brunswick Me
Deployment Bermuda, Keflavik Iceland, Thule Greenland, Rota Spain, Lajes Azores, Rosey Roads PR
Operation Desert Storm
Very interesting list of stations. Got a few favorites you want to go back to? The Azores and Iceland I would like to see. Lot of changes to the military the last few years. I read that Thune is renamed and is now a Space Force station and Brunswick is shut down.I found this if you're interested. Squadrons at NAS Brunswick - Brunswick Naval Aviation Museum
Which aircraft do you fly? Will never forget the first time I saw the sun shine on the tops of the clouds.

Last edited:
AF 2002-2006
Various training assignments - mid/late 2002
McGuire AFB - 2002-05
Seymour Johnson - 2005-06 (RIF'ed)
Deployments - Al Jaber, Kuwait and Port Mortuary-Dover, Delaware
Did basic at Dix in '72. Echo company barracks was at the end of the runways and takeoffs were almost right overhead. Even the DIs couldn't compete with that. We just stood an watched. It was pretty awesome.

Luck was my only explanation for avoiding Nam. A lot to do in DC but was married with a child and had to work second job to survive. Fairly high cost of living for low level airman.
Had it good back then as a dependent. I think my base pay started at $301 month in 72 when I went in. You get to take advantage of the GI Bill ?

VN Store

Back