Vols #15 in the inaugural Coaches poll.

Ohio St may be the best team in the Country this year. They are Loaded with NFL talent with 6 players likely drafted early. They only play 3 games , @ Oregon, @ Penn St (white out game could be tricky, but we know what PS does, chokes on the big ones, swallows the little ones) and a much less talented Michigan. So we will see how they do in the playoffs.
Yes...They might have 6 first rounders, and around 12 or so by the end of the 2nd day. They are so loaded that even the 2nd stringers could be in the CFB playoffs.

Last edited:
Yes...They might have 6 first rounders, and around 12 or so by the end of the 2nd day. They are so loaded that even the 2nd stringers could be in the CFB playoffs.
This seems a bit of extreme Buckeye worship.

They didn't make the playoffs last year. The final CFP rankings put them at #7. That was with their first string.

I don't think their second string would've been in the top 20, much less the top 10 or 12 to make the expanded playoffs.

And I can't imagine their roster is all that different this year from last. I mean, it's not like they're suddenly beating Georgia or Bama for the top recruits.

Yeah, I'm not seeing this. I'm not seeing anything like this out of Ohio State. They, like Michigan, are propped up by the fact that they only play 2 or 3 challenging football games (each other, plus Penn State, plus maybe a third from out of conference) each year.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
For some teams preseason rankings matter quite a bit because there is only so much they can do to leverage their schedule. We have no such issues. If we take care of business we could have begun the season at 100th and it wouldn't really have made much difference.
Excellent point!

IMO, Tennessee will be in contention to win every game this season. The first 4 will set the tone and the next 2 will be wins and the start of the grind. They may not win every game but they will be in contention late to win them. The deeper we go into the season the better we will get.

It would be really interesting for someone who had the energy and commitment (not me) to go back for the last 20 years and compare the initial coaches poll in the initial media poll, just to see which one was more accurate from the beginning of each season until the end of each season. Just take the top 10 teams and see how accurate those are.

It would be really interesting for someone who had the energy and commitment (not me) to go back for the last 20 years and compare the initial coaches poll in the initial media poll, just to see which one was more accurate from the beginning of each season until the end of each season. Just take the top 10 teams and see how accurate those are.
I've seen some data and neither is very accurate. Usually only about 10-15 teams in the preseason Top 25 in either end up ranked at the end of the season. There are two things a CFB fan should never get in a tizzy about, preseason rankings and preseason strength of schedule. Neither means much. They are just fun for us to talk about.

VN Store

Back