Vols APR Rate Is More Serious Than Most Think

rocktopper16

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the meltdown.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/D.../Vols-APR-rate-more-serious-than-some-believe

It is amazing how the spoon-fed Knoxville media play into the hands of the Tennessee Vol propaganda machine and depict an ugly academic situation as a ray of sunshine.

This media funny-business doesn’t just involve Tennessee; it goes on throughout big-time college football. But today I’m strictly addressing the Tennessee scene.

The Vol fan base learned two weeks ago that Tennessee’s academic progress rate (APR) is the lowest in the SEC, raising the chances of a possible bowl ban in 2014.

But don’t worry, said UT and the media, the pitiful classroom performance occurred before athletics director Dave Hart and head football coach Butch Jones came on board.

In all fairness, Tennessee’s failing APR of 926 (the passing grade in 2014 will be 930) was not its fault. Blame it on Phil Fulmer, Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton.

So you’ll know: A 926 APR equates to graduating fewer than half of the team’s players.

And any university that graduates that few students is a disgrace. Tennessee fits the “football factory” label nicely.

While there are some Tennessee football players who want a degree, the latest APR shows clearly that most don’t care one whit about getting an education. Most are there because they believe Tennessee is a pathway to the riches of the NFL.

The party line fed to the public two weeks ago is that Central Michigan and Cincinnati, on Jones’ watch, improved their academic performance and Tennessee’s APR failure will be corrected before this time a year from now. That remains to be seen.

Not only have the Vols suffered three straight losing seasons for the first time in school history, as a group they don’t seem capable of spelling “UT.”

The only way to correct Tennessee’s disgraceful academic problem is to stop recruiting players who aren’t prepared to do college-level classroom work and stop signing players whose main goal is to reach the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Clearly the low graduate rate has nothing to do with the high transfer rate due to a lack of stability at the head coach position.

Reactions: 31 people
Sure that's an issue. So is losing games and the lack of stability in the program since Fulmer got canned. That low number is likely highly influenced by the lack of winning and stability. Just consider how many players have either transferred or been dismissed from the team in recent years.

Reactions: 2 people
If you think these kids are scholar athletes you are lying to yourself. And I don't mean our players, I mean the players on every top tier team.

As for our APR.. I hope they do well enough to keep us out of trouble... Aside from that I could care less if they graduate. If they use their scholarship to get a degree, great. If they don't, it doesn't matter, because we all know that is not why they are here, really.

Sounds ignorant, I know. But we are recruiting athletes who are not capable of upper education.

The system is what it is. Either get rid of the college football machine, quit acting like they are amateur "student athletes" or quit complaining about grades. This is my challenge for everyone who has a problem with things like this.

Reactions: 7 people
It is amazing how the spoon-fed Knoxville media play into the hands of the Tennessee Vol propaganda machine and depict an ugly academic situation as a ray of sunshine.

This media funny-business doesn’t just involve Tennessee; it goes on throughout big-time college football. But today I’m strictly addressing the Tennessee scene.

The Vol fan base learned two weeks ago that Tennessee’s academic progress rate (APR) is the lowest in the SEC, raising the chances of a possible bowl ban in 2014.

But don’t worry, said UT and the media, the pitiful classroom performance occurred before athletics director Dave Hart and head football coach Butch Jones came on board.

In all fairness, Tennessee’s failing APR of 926 (the passing grade in 2014 will be 930) was not its fault. Blame it on Phil Fulmer, Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton.

So you’ll know: A 926 APR equates to graduating fewer than half of the team’s players.

And any university that graduates that few students is a disgrace. Tennessee fits the “football factory” label nicely.

While there are some Tennessee football players who want a degree, the latest APR shows clearly that most don’t care one whit about getting an education. Most are there because they believe Tennessee is a pathway to the riches of the NFL.

The party line fed to the public two weeks ago is that Central Michigan and Cincinnati, on Jones’ watch, improved their academic performance and Tennessee’s APR failure will be corrected before this time a year from now. That remains to be seen.

Not only have the Vols suffered three straight losing seasons for the first time in school history, as a group they don’t seem capable of spelling “UT.”

The only way to correct Tennessee’s disgraceful academic problem is to stop recruiting players who aren’t prepared to do college-level classroom work and stop signing players whose main goal is to reach the NFL.

In other news the 1st amendment is alive and well.

Reactions: 4 people
Sounds ignorant, I know. But we are recruiting athletes who are not capable of upper education.

The system is what it is. Either get rid of the college football machine, quit acting like they are amateur "student athletes" or quit complaining about grades. This is my challenge for everyone who has a problem with things like this.

There is no moral high ground in preventing someone who is not college material from making the most of his God given talents. It is really none of our business whether these guys can spell c-a-t. They deserve a shot at the pros if they have the talent and nothing is gained by putting some artificial conditions on their doing what they are good at.

We wouldn't put up with a system where people training to be lawyers, engineers or surgeons are forced to run a 5 minute mile or bench press 500lbs before they can practice their professions because that would be ridiculous. Putting academic requirements on athletes is every bit as ridiculous.

You can't set up a system where athletes have to filter through college to make it to the pros and then think you have done anything other than take away opportunities and violate the rights of people who are already at a disadvantage in life's lottery by not being all that smart. Why you would want to see them running the street in gangs or working as janitors when they could be professional athletes is beyond me.

Reactions: 4 people
There is no moral high ground in preventing someone who is not college material from making the most of his God given talents. It is really none of our business whether these guys can spell c-a-t. They deserve a shot at the pros if they have the talent and nothing is gained by putting some artificial conditions on their doing what they are good at.

We wouldn't put up with a system where people training to be lawyers, engineers or surgeons are forced to run a 5 minute mile or bench press 500lbs before they can practice their professions because that would be ridiculous. Putting academic requirements on athletes is every bit as ridiculous.

You can't set up a system where athletes have to filter through college to make it to the pros and then think you have done anything other than take away opportunities and violate the rights of people who are already at a disadvantage in life's lottery by not being all that smart. Why you would want to see them running the street in gangs or working as janitors when they could be professional athletes is beyond me.

:clap:

OP missed the point...

If we are going to flirt with academic probation...

The LEAST we should do is get some thugs to help us win instead of what we've watched for the last 10 years...

I think...

Reactions: 1 person
OP missed the point...

If we are going to flirt with academic probation...

The LEAST we should do is get some thugs to help us win instead of what we've watched for the last 10 years...

I think...

This +1000.. if vol fans think the players of the 90s were scholar athletes they r kidding themselves.. most were hard core thugs that love to wear the orange n pass around some pain on sat....... n most were highly rated recruits..

Man those were the days.....lol

Reactions: 1 person
Nature of the beast.....dont complain about losing if ur gonna complain because we go after the same guys everyone else does....i want them to get degrees as much as the next guy but u dont stop recruiting the best players if u plan on keeping ur job longer than a couple years

unless a player has been ruled ineligable, i dont even want to read the term APR. thats the stuff coaches get paid to worry about.

VN Store

Back