Vols APR Rate Is More Serious Than Most Think

There is no moral high ground in preventing someone who is not college material from making the most of his God given talents. It is really none of our business whether these guys can spell c-a-t. They deserve a shot at the pros if they have the talent and nothing is gained by putting some artificial conditions on their doing what they are good at.

We wouldn't put up with a system where people training to be lawyers, engineers or surgeons are forced to run a 5 minute mile or bench press 500lbs before they can practice their professions because that would be ridiculous. Putting academic requirements on athletes is every bit as ridiculous.

You can't set up a system where athletes have to filter through college to make it to the pros and then think you have done anything other than take away opportunities and violate the rights of people who are already at a disadvantage in life's lottery by not being all that smart. Why you would want to see them running the street in gangs or working as janitors when they could be professional athletes is beyond me.

Agree 100%

We interrupt this program to inform you of something you already knew. We provide this information in a manner that is intended to cause fear and panic. We present this information wihtout any understanding of what the hell we are talking about. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Reactions: 8 people
It is amazing how the spoon-fed Knoxville media play into the hands of the Tennessee Vol propaganda machine and depict an ugly academic situation as a ray of sunshine.

This media funny-business doesn’t just involve Tennessee; it goes on throughout big-time college football. But today I’m strictly addressing the Tennessee scene.

The Vol fan base learned two weeks ago that Tennessee’s academic progress rate (APR) is the lowest in the SEC, raising the chances of a possible bowl ban in 2014.

But don’t worry, said UT and the media, the pitiful classroom performance occurred before athletics director Dave Hart and head football coach Butch Jones came on board.

In all fairness, Tennessee’s failing APR of 926 (the passing grade in 2014 will be 930) was not its fault. Blame it on Phil Fulmer, Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton.

So you’ll know: A 926 APR equates to graduating fewer than half of the team’s players.

And any university that graduates that few students is a disgrace. Tennessee fits the “football factory” label nicely.

While there are some Tennessee football players who want a degree, the latest APR shows clearly that most don’t care one whit about getting an education. Most are there because they believe Tennessee is a pathway to the riches of the NFL.

The party line fed to the public two weeks ago is that Central Michigan and Cincinnati, on Jones’ watch, improved their academic performance and Tennessee’s APR failure will be corrected before this time a year from now. That remains to be seen.

Not only have the Vols suffered three straight losing seasons for the first time in school history, as a group they don’t seem capable of spelling “UT.”

The only way to correct Tennessee’s disgraceful academic problem is to stop recruiting players who aren’t prepared to do college-level classroom work and stop signing players whose main goal is to reach the NFL.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10711-1349223484-1.gif

Reactions: 1 person
You just gave us some very basic information that we already knew. Thanks, I guess.

But a good point you made is the way we shrugged it off as no big deal. I went to Ole Miss through 2 of the Houston Nutt years and the first of the Hugh Freeze "era". I can tell you, a head coach who "gets it" and wants the most out of his players, both in and out of the classroom, and as football players and men, will do absolutely just that. The improvement I saw in the football players, attention to detail, and self-discipline was vastly improved in ess than a year with a competent coaching staff in place

I believe we have exactly that in Butch Jones, and expect vast improvements in the APR over the coming years

We interrupt this program to inform you of something you already knew. We provide this information in a manner that is intended to cause fear and panic. We present this information wihtout any understanding of what the hell we are talking about. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

A+.

A couple of sentences in, I was thinking I had inadvertently drifted into the political forum again.

APR is a colossal joke. Doesn't take into account the types of degrees these athletes achieved - like a B.S. in Tree Killing Technolgy and Alternative Sex Practices.

I hate it when a gator makes a solid post. I even gave it a like. Dammit. :)

It is amazing how the spoon-fed Knoxville media play into the hands of the Tennessee Vol propaganda machine and depict an ugly academic situation as a ray of sunshine.

This media funny-business doesn’t just involve Tennessee; it goes on throughout big-time college football. But today I’m strictly addressing the Tennessee scene.

The Vol fan base learned two weeks ago that Tennessee’s academic progress rate (APR) is the lowest in the SEC, raising the chances of a possible bowl ban in 2014.

But don’t worry, said UT and the media, the pitiful classroom performance occurred before athletics director Dave Hart and head football coach Butch Jones came on board.

In all fairness, Tennessee’s failing APR of 926 (the passing grade in 2014 will be 930) was not its fault. Blame it on Phil Fulmer, Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton.

So you’ll know: A 926 APR equates to graduating fewer than half of the team’s players.

And any university that graduates that few students is a disgrace. Tennessee fits the “football factory” label nicely.

While there are some Tennessee football players who want a degree, the latest APR shows clearly that most don’t care one whit about getting an education. Most are there because they believe Tennessee is a pathway to the riches of the NFL.

The party line fed to the public two weeks ago is that Central Michigan and Cincinnati, on Jones’ watch, improved their academic performance and Tennessee’s APR failure will be corrected before this time a year from now. That remains to be seen.

Not only have the Vols suffered three straight losing seasons for the first time in school history, as a group they don’t seem capable of spelling “UT.”

The only way to correct Tennessee’s disgraceful academic problem is to stop recruiting players who aren’t prepared to do college-level classroom work and stop signing players whose main goal is to reach the NFL.

We will be fine. This is calculated by those that enter school and then don't graduate. Having said that Kiffin had 23 recruits sign and only 3 finished. This is what killed the #. CBJ's got so we don't need any debbie downer crap going into the start of return to the top for the Vols!

:eek:k:

Tennesseeduke

Accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between...:dance2:

Reactions: 2 people
OP I attended UT for 2.5 years and didn't graduate. Sorry, I have no clue wtf you are talking about. But Go Vols

I have a degree from Tennessee yet I've never sat in Neyland and thought "Wonder what number 34 got on his math test this week." It doesn't offend me in the least that some players fail out of school. I knew several non-athletes while I was there that failed out due to too much partying or not having the drive or intelligence to hack it. I wasn't offended by them either. Ultimately, they are responsible for their own actions. A lot of these kids come from lower income areas and football is their hope for a better life. If they simply are not smart enough, oh well at least they tried. If they fail out due to doing something stupid, drugs, lack of drive, lack of discipline etc... Oh well, that's on them not the coaches. Spending a few years at a nice campus with all expenses paid and playing in front of 100,000 screaming fans is probably better than the alternative for a lot of these kids even if they don't make the pros or graduate.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back