Vols Fall Practice #8 (closed) Scrimmage

Oh no, my battered Vol syndrome is relapsing 😬 Remembering how we kept expecting Tillman back each week after his minor procedure (curse those Akron lowlifes and their even lower coach)
Remember when Helton got hurt in Starkville, after we'd lost Colquitt at UCLA? We didn't call it BVS... we called it destiny.

When we get back to seeing injuries as opportunities for the up-and-comers, we'll know we're finally cured from BVS.

Last edited:
Heupel comments:

"Offensively and defensively, really good day." Got out relatively clean today, which is important. Offensively, made some plays in the back half of the scrimmage.

"Vols center Cooper Mays had a minor procedure yesterday, and he'll be back. I anticipate that being a "couple-week deal."

Ollie Lane is really smart, has played a lot of football. Has repped at the three interior spots since we got here. It's been really easy for him to transition inside (to center).

Nothing long-term with Wesley Walker and Tamarion McDonald, who haven't been seen at practice lately.

I thought Joe, operationally, was really good. There were some situations we could have been better in. All in all, pleased with his decision-making process and command.

"Rotation piece is going to be fluid. Some of our young guys are really making strides too— Kaleb Webb and Chas Nimrod."

Dont'e Thornton has the ability to play both slot and outside. This year, we have probably more mobility for guys to play inside and out.

For a first scrimmage, I thought there was a positive sign with our tackling in space.

Milton is operating and handling the offense at a really high level right now. His eyes, as far as what he's seeing from the second level presnap and after the snap, he's been really good.

"Jaylen Wright had a number of nice runs reading our blocking schemes."

I thought, as the scrimmage went on, the RB group did a really nice job. Jaylen Wright had some really nice runs. I thought Jabari Small played really well. It was important for him to get some live work. Dylan Sampson did a great job.

There are multiple guys rotating at Star, from Warren Burrell, Jourdan Thomas. There are multiple guys playing that position, and we're trying to find the right fit to get the best five out there.

TEs Ethan Davis and McCallan Castles: At this point, I think both of them will play at a really high level when they're on the field. They're both so much further ahead than they were in spring ball.

Javontez Spraggins has great energy every single day. He's the same competitor. He's got great influence on the OL, the offense and the whole team. He's a big part of our energy at practice every single day.

Nico Iamaleava is a different player from the spring. He's got great command of what we're doing. He hasn't been perfect, but he's grown. He doesn't make the same mistake twice. He learns from it. He's intentional and has great work habits.
Think J Wright and the Rb group will have a huge year running behind sprag and I expect joe to have alot of play action bombs off of a dominant run game.

Heup already gave the pep talk…..
You know, by God, I actually pity those poor b*stards we're going up against. By God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the b*astards, We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun b*stards by the bushel. (Looking at you especially Beamer)
View attachment 568937
3318-impact-300-more-stylized-vfx.jpg
October 15th 3:29pm 2022

Josh Heupel - "The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed."

He's had a few good ones.

View attachment 568947
October 15th 3:29pm 2022

Josh Heupel - "The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed."

He's had a few good ones.
Yeah, I liked the one before the LSU game as well…..

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember’d;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

Last edited:
Might as well get ready for Cooper to be out first 2 games!

Love Heup but him saying 2 weeks means nothing. Probably out till Florida game..
Football Coach Time estimates are the sports equivalent of „Elon Time“. Texas Tank Watchers and other SpaceX fans will know of what I speak 😂

With Ollie Lane at center, Jackson Lampley got a lot of work at left guard today including a good amount with the one's. It will be interesting to see how the line rotations and movement takes shape this weekend and next week heading into scrimmage number 2. Gerald Mincey got more work on the right side today than he got early in camp.

The QB's didn't have their full compliment of receivers today. We don't believe there is any real injury concerns there just some precautions taken on a wet day inside Neyland Stadium. One young wideout who made some plays was Kaleb Webb, who has had steady growth early in fall camp.

It was a good day for tight ends McCallen Castles and freshman Ethan Davis who shouldered the work load at tight end. Both are growing from a blocking standpoint and both are going to play alot. Castles and Davis both showed up in the passing game.

Defensive lineman Omarr Norman Lott made some plays as well. The defensive front played well against the run especially early in the scrimmage. Heupel said they tackled well.

In the back end, Warren Burrell and Jeudy-Lally worked at star and Christian Charles got some early work at safety as well. As camp hits the midway point, we will see how the pieces start to fit in the back end and part of that will depend on when McDonald returns.

Both Campbell on FG's and Jackson Ross at punter were solid in special teams work.

On the injury front, it was a pretty clean day. Kamal Hadden and Gerald Mincey both got dinged up for a minute but returned. Freshman tailback Desean Bishop was helped off the field and did not return based off our talks with sources.
hubbs

Think J Wright and the Rb group will have a huge year running behind sprag and I expect joe to have alot of play action bombs off of a dominant run game.

I’d love to see some more games like the Kentucky game last year. Ground and pound. Then when they go all in on the run…guy punch them with a bomb over the top.

VN Store

Back