Vols Fall Practice #9

All I know for sure is... the better Moore and Merklinger play in practice, the better Nico will get.
If Moore is not pushing Nico, we certainly want him to.
The coaches want him to.
The players want him to.

In a potentially 16-game season, success won't abide too much drop off between your #1 and #2 QBs.

In a shorter season, you'd be more likely to play a banged up starting QB. I think we're going to see some coaches re-think that now, if their #2 can win one of their mid-late season games and give the starter an extra week to recuperate and come back fresh for the finish. We'll see...

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm high, but guys like you keep things interesting. It's like your mind is busting with creativity and you just put it out there for the world to see. I am in awe of this conversation. Never seen anything quite like it. lol
Nutty people are eccentric. Got bad manners, take insane chances, and always get themselves in trouble. Knowing all of this, we still do it. We can't honestly say we don't know any better. At times, I wonder if we even care. Now, where are my dandelion-flavored chocolate chips? I want to add them to my glass of George Dickel rye, just to see if I've invented a new cocktail flavor.

The most popular guy on campus is always the backup QB. We haven’t even had a game yet and we’re already talking about Gaston Moore. Never change Volnation, never change.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Not a chance in hell. You think Gaston is gonna start?
If you asked me which QB I trusted more on this team, I would 100% go with Gasten Moore. He looks good every time he is on the field and has played well during his game appearances. Will he start, absolutely not, but if it was 4th and 5 and we needed the first down for the game to continue, I wouldn’t hesitate to put the ball in his hands to complete a pass. At this moment, I haven’t seen enough of Nico or the others to have that much confidence, in game situations that is. Nico by far is the more gifted, but I’m ready to see him get some experience under his belt and play against the big boys in the SEC.

I think it’s important to remember that these media guys only get a small portion of practice to watch. They don’t really know who had good or bad days.

This is from Patrick Brown after Practice #7:

The quarterbacks as a whole just seemed a little off throwing the football early in practice, but for all we know they might be lighting it up behind closed doors.

Also Eric Cain after Practice #10:

We barely get to see anything to begin with and half of that is stretching. Now, with the third period closed off, there’s an amusingly short amount of time to actually watch anything of relevance

Last edited:
I think it’s important to remember that these media guys only get a small portion of practice to watch. They don’t really know who had good or bad days.

This is from Patrick Brown after Practice #7:

The quarterbacks as a whole just seemed a little off throwing the football early in practice, but for all we know they might be lighting it up behind closed doors.
Exactly right. And I’m starting to think the TN media deserves some criticism here for raising alarms about player performance during practice when they maybe watch 20 minutes out of a practice that goes on for hours. They have no clue how these players are actually performing but they report on it as if they do and then people come in these threads and freak out for no reason.

If you asked me which QB I trusted more on this team, I would 100% go with Gasten Moore. He looks good every time he is on the field and has played well during his game appearances. Will he start, absolutely not, but if it was 4th and 5 and we needed the first down for the game to continue, I wouldn’t hesitate to put the ball in his hands to complete a pass. At this moment, I haven’t seen enough of Nico or the others to have that much confidence, in game situations that is. Nico by far is the more gifted, but I’m ready to see him get some experience under his belt and play against the big boys in the SEC.
How have you seen enough of Gaston Moore but not Nico? Not saying Moore doesn’t have more experience but acting like he’s way more experienced that Nico and has actually played in a game that matters is nonsense. Nico has attempted more passes that Gaston Moore already. So acting like Moore is this experienced veteran who has played a lot is incorrect

What kind of experience does Moore have against the big boys in the SEC? Especially since being here. None lol. Nico has actually started a game for us as Moore has not. Stop getting excited over practice all american reports. Means nothing

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
What kind of experience does Moore have against the big boys in the SEC? Especially since being here. None lol. Nico has actually started a game for us as Moore has not. Stop getting excited over practice all american reports. Means nothing
Don’t feed the troll. Attention seeking behavior in classical form.

Is the biggest surprise Kitselman as the number 1 TE? I figured it would be Staeas/Davis rotating at the 1 with Kitselman being the blocker in 2 TE sets and short yardage/goal line situations.

Some of the posts in this thread are next-level ridiculous.

These are the career stats for Nico (Sophomore) vs Gaston Moore (5th Year Senior).

Nico - 28 of 45 passing for 314 yards, 2 TD passes, 0 INT's. 71 yards rushing and 3 rushing TD's.

Moore - 10 of 17 for 220 yards, 0 TD's passing, 1 INT. 4 yards rushing and 0 rushing TD's.

Moore compiled those stats playing mop-up duty against the following teams during his career (South Alabama, Vandy twice, UT Martin, Ball State, and he took a few snaps against Iowa).

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back