Vols Fall Practice #9

Not at all. If you didn't scratch your head at Heupel not seeing that Hendon Hooker obviously ran his system better than Joe Milton, that's fine.

I'm a big fan of both guys AND a big fan of Heupel's tempo offense. It's not great for every QB and I think Heupel has the best look at his QBs, the best grasp of his system, etc.

We all saw Joe struggle with the system. That's not a swipe at Joe's talent, Peyton nor Brady likely wouldn't have been the best choice in Heupel's offense either.

Like I said, Heupel chose Milton to start over Hooker. You and I, given the limited access we had, probably would've made the same call. Josh Heupel is light years ahead of us in access, coaching talent, and football acumen.

I scratch my head at how he missed that Hooker was the better QB for his system than Milton. If you don't, that's fine.
Your head scratching would be alleviated had you attended practices leading up to the season. Because everyone who did said Milton outperformed Hooker. It was unanimous. Had CJH started Hooker, those who saw practices (including his team) would’ve thought he was crazy.

Hooker refused to throw the ball down the field. We saw that in the 2021 spring game. Hubbs said it continued in fall practice. He was playing scared and always deferred to check downs. But at some point around the Pitt game, something started to click.

It’s amazing how easily opinions are formed without the knowledge needed to make an informed one.

Your head scratching would be alleviated had you attended practices leading up to the season. Because everyone who did said Milton outperformed Hooker. It was unanimous. Had CJH started Hooker, those who saw practices (including his team) would’ve thought he was crazy.

Hooker refused to throw the ball down the field. We saw that in the 2021 spring game. Hubbs said it continued in fall practice. He was playing scared and always deferred to check downs. But at some point around the Pitt game, something started to click.

It’s amazing how easily opinions are formed without the knowledge needed to make an informed one.
Then the practices aren't telling the coaches what they need to know. CLEARLY, in game situations Hooker executed Heupel's tempo offense much better than Milton.

Practices which aren't preparing the QB to perform in game situations or showing the coach who can execute at game time are not effective.

I reject that something magically "clicked on" and made Hooker so much better at executing the offense than Milton.

Again, I don't THINK that's going to happen with Nico but if it does, we've got a bigger issue than Nico not being the right guy for Heupel's offense.

Not at all. If you didn't scratch your head at Heupel not seeing that Hendon Hooker obviously ran his system better than Joe Milton, that's fine.

I'm a big fan of both guys AND a big fan of Heupel's tempo offense. It's not great for every QB and I think Heupel has the best look at his QBs, the best grasp of his system, etc.

We all saw Joe struggle with the system. That's not a swipe at Joe's talent, Peyton nor Brady likely wouldn't have been the best choice in Heupel's offense either.

Like I said, Heupel chose Milton to start over Hooker. You and I, given the limited access we had, probably would've made the same call. Josh Heupel is light years ahead of us in access, coaching talent, and football acumen.

I scratch my head at how he missed that Hooker was the better QB for his system than Milton. If you don't, that's fine.
I agree that it was a curious choice at the time. Fate and the weaving of life’s tapestry are also curious! 😉

I think you all fail to realize these guys got super insider access and watched the scrimmage last night. If you don't have that access you should shut it and listen to those expert opinions
X6itGj.gif

Reactions: LexVol71
Then the practices aren't telling the coaches what they need to know. CLEARLY, in game situations Hooker executed Heupel's tempo offense much better than Milton.

Practices which aren't preparing the QB to perform in game situations or showing the coach who can execute at game time are not effective.

I reject that something magically "clicked on" and made Hooker so much better at executing the offense than Milton.

Again, I don't THINK that's going to happen with Nico but if it does, we've got a bigger issue than Nico not being the right guy for Heupel's offense.
lol what color jerseys do Qbs wear in practice ? Due to this fact you will never fully prepare a Qb for a game… that red jersey eliminates a huge part of playing Qb in live action… yall stop getting worked up over reports on 3 periods of a practice with 25 periods please 😂😂 goodness our fanbase needs to take a chill pill and trust heup…

“This is what I want to think, so I reject any possible fact pattern that contradicts my belief. Meanwhile, the thing I believe is head-scratching, by my own admission.”

Gotcha.

Oh good the “back up is better QB than our starter” BS has already started. Can’t wait to see the “Bring in Moore” chants to start the first pass Nico misses in a game 🙄
You're the only who said this: Can’t wait to see the “Bring in Moore” chants to start the first pass Nico misses in a game." I certainly didn't.

You're the only who said this: Can’t wait to see the “Bring in Moore” chants to start the first pass Nico misses in a game." I certainly didn't.
It’s called sarcasm

People on here already speculating if Moore should be the starter. I’m just pointing out that it’s the same thing every freaking year. The number one QB has a bad throw so suddenly they start calling for number 2

The grass is always greener

I don't know that it's magic, but it happens all the time.

Brock Purdy & Tom Brady didn't win the starting job in practice, they got their opportunities due to injury and didn't look back. I think it's more common in CFB than the NFL. It took injuries to Worley and Peterman before Dobbs ran away with the job in 2014.

Given Heupel's track record of developing & getting QB production, I'm inclined to see it as a one off anomalous situation. Some times the simplest explanation is the answer. Just looking at Milton's 2022/2023 splits(no pressure/pressure) it's easy to believe reports that Milton thrived in 2021 fall practice.

People on here already speculating if Moore should be the starter. I’m just pointing out that it’s the same thing every freaking year. The number one QB has a bad throw so suddenly they start calling for number 2
It makes no sense speculating about Moore.

Merklinger is a very good 4* QB we beat out the leg humping Georgia mutts for. He's gonna transfer before 2026 if he doesn’t get a shot......... (/s)

Reactions: Dirtyhairies
I don't know that it's magic, but it happens all the time.

Brock Purdy & Tom Brady didn't win the starting job in practice, they got their opportunities due to injury and didn't look back. I think it's more common in CFB than the NFL. It took injuries to Worley and Peterman before Dobbs ran away with the job in 2014.

Given Heupel's track record of developing & getting QB production, I'm inclined to see it as a one off anomalous situation. Some times the simplest explanation is the answer. Just looking at Milton's 2022/2023 splits(no pressure/pressure) it's easy to believe reports that Milton thrived in 2021 fall practice.
I get it. Manning got his chance due to injuries and ran with it.

But jeez, you don't want to try every QB in the house during games until you find out who is your best guy or have an injury cause you to find out you've been starting the wrong guy. You'd like to think a great QB coach can spot the gamer.

I agree about Heupel's track record but if we get a second swing and a miss about a starter, I'll be concerned.

I hope and I think Nico is tailor made for Heupel's offense and Gaston Moore gets to shine mopping up when we're up by 30 at the half.

Never underestimate the ability of our fanbase to generate stupid, delusional opinions.
Or bring VN alive by posting stuff that galvanizes discussions. We am VN, we am the most active CFB board in the land, and we am rabid raucous, and sometimes raunchy, but never boring. We am Volnation!
1723412027060.jpeg

It’s called sarcasm

The grass is always greener
I prefer rice pudding over sarcasm, it tastes better. Then there's peach cobbler made with butter infused crust, and a little glass Jack after.

VN Store

Back