Vols Fall Practice #9

I was ignored back on practice #1 when I said Moore looks better than Nico. He just does. Nico might have the IT factor in games with scrambling and just straight up getting it done. I dont know. What I do know is if you watch these practices without rose colored glasses on Nico you will see Moore passes the eye test. His foot work is better, his throws look crisper, and he is hitting receivers without them turning back for the ball. All I’m saying is what I’ve seen. lol. People get super mad because they want Nico to be the savior. They also use the “coach had them behind such and such” excuse when we have seen time and again that doesn’t mean anything. Think Hooker, Kamara, even Wright recently.
For the last 2 years, Moore has looked like the best QB in the spring games. However, I do not think he played a down in the Fall.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Not at all. If you didn't scratch your head at Heupel not seeing that Hendon Hooker obviously ran his system better than Joe Milton, that's fine.

I'm a big fan of both guys AND a big fan of Heupel's tempo offense. It's not great for every QB and I think Heupel has the best look at his QBs, the best grasp of his system, etc.

We all saw Joe struggle with the system. That's not a swipe at Joe's talent, Peyton nor Brady likely wouldn't have been the best choice in Heupel's offense either.

Like I said, Heupel chose Milton to start over Hooker. You and I, given the limited access we had, probably would've made the same call. Josh Heupel is light years ahead of us in access, coaching talent, and football acumen.

I scratch my head at how he missed that Hooker was the better QB for his system than Milton. If you don't, that's fine.
I have no way of knowing who looked better in practice. I wasn’t there. CJH was.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I have never, ever, claimed to be stable, cause even I think I'm crazy. Just the same, The cracked crystal ball insists that Gaston is actually is more system experienced, throws better, is less sackable, and at this point, overall better suited to Heup-ball than Nico. We can, and will win with Nicky, but there will be games where we are better off with the Gas man. The ball has spoken.

View attachment 666360
Maybe it's because I'm high, but guys like you keep things interesting. It's like your mind is busting with creativity and you just put it out there for the world to see. I am in awe of this conversation. Never seen anything quite like it. lol

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I can agree on that, which is why my post about Moore included that maybe Nico is just a baller on game day. Some people are. Just like some people are bad at taking tests then you get out in the field with them at work and they are the best worker you’ve been around. We will have to wait and see. I pray he’s good. We have done a lot of talking. I’m sick of people joking about “next year” at work and family events.
Sounds like ya need to change jobs and get a divorce…

Reactions: MyAll
Actually, the reports say this was the first actual bad day he had. He may have had a couple of bad throws in practices, but today was his worst practice.
Exactly, his first bad practice. Every reporter and writer has said Nico has looked great all summer. Hubbs even said Nico is the real deal and we are set at QB.

Yes. Let's not speculate about Moore. Let's speculate about Merklinger instead. Great idea!
Would it surprise me if Nico didn’t start at some point this year? Hell yes. Would I accept graciously that Heup chose to start Moore at any point including to start the season? (Opener style) Absolutely. Between Heupel, Elarbee and Halzle, there are four great offensive minds.

Last edited:
Then the practices aren't telling the coaches what they need to know. CLEARLY, in game situations Hooker executed Heupel's tempo offense much better than Milton.

Practices which aren't preparing the QB to perform in game situations or showing the coach who can execute at game time are not effective.

I reject that something magically "clicked on" and made Hooker so much better at executing the offense than Milton.

Again, I don't THINK that's going to happen with Nico but if it does, we've got a bigger issue than Nico not being the right guy for Heupel's offense.
Someone posted that Hooker refused to throw downfield initially, hence Milton started. The coaches can only go by what they see in practice.

Would it surprise me if Nico didn’t start all year? Hell yes. Would I accept graciously that Heup chose to start Moore at any point including to start the season? (Opener style) Absolutely. Between Heupel, Elarbee and Halzle, there are four great offensive minds.
Moore is a future football coach, not a player.

VN Store

Back