War in Ukraine

About the origin of shock and awe.

You’re beyond obtuse. You’re ****ing daft.
It became popularized as a term during the 2003 invasion. How about that?

And besides, you still didn't attack the concept of Russia not going in the same way that the US would have done. They obviously had a different strategy.

Who’s shifting the goal posts now..
I'm simply clarifying for you people that want to drill down into the minutia of semantics.

Not 1991, 2003 invasion. The term shock and awe didn't become a thing until the second invasion. But you knew that already, which is why you intentionally tried to shift the goalposts to the 1991 Desert Storm.

I'm clearly talking about the term being popularized in 2003. I didn't say anything about the concept or the idea of shock and awe originating in 2003.

It became popularized as a term during the 2003 invasion. How about that?

And besides, you still didn't attack the concept of Russia not going in the same way that the US would have done. They obviously had a different strategy.

Being popularized isn’t the same as originating, and you know it.

I’ve criticized Russia from the beginning. If you want to win a war against a well-armed but still inferior (on paper) opponent, you have to destroy their will and their capability to fight back early on. Russia clearly failed to do that and here we are a year later laughing at the ineptitude of Putin’s war machine.

Being popularized isn’t the same as originating, and you know it.
I never said it originated in 2003. I was specifically talking about the term being popularized in the 2003 invasion. YOU are the one that made out that I was saying it originated in 2003. You also knew good and damn well that the term was associated with the 2003 invasion, but chose to move the goalposts and started to condescend about you being in Iraq in 1991, which wasn't even something I was eluding to... but again, you were fully aware of you trickery here, as well.

Again, you would rather attack semantics or minutia rather than the facts.

I never said it originated in 2003. I was specifically talking about the term being popularized in the 2003 invasion. YOU are the one that made out that I was saying it originated in 2003. You also knew good and damn well that the term was associated with the 2003 invasion, but chose to move the goalposts and started to condescend about you being in Iraq in 1991, which wasn't even something I was eluding to... but again, you were fully aware of you trickery here, as well.

The facts are you misused the term shock and awe and have been back peddling ever since being called on it Moe

How about just admitting that you are wrong and move on. Shock and awe as doctrine originated with Desert Storm. It was not “popularized” in 2003.

How about just admitting that you are wrong and move on. Shock and awe as doctrine originated with Desert Storm. It was not “popularized” in 2003.
I was not wrong. I clearly was speaking about 2003. You are the one that tried to spin it into 1991.

The facts are you misused the term shock and awe and have been back peddling ever since being called on it Moe
Hey there Proctor. Since you and your pals have used Wikipedia as your source on more than one occasion here then perhaps you should read what is on the Wikipedia page as well. It even states here that it the term did not become popular until around 2003. I think you need to contact the people over at Wikipedia and have them make the "proper" corrections.

I would also take a look at the "Historical Applications" section of this link. If there is anything you see wrong then like I said you should probably contact Wikipedia.

Shock and awe - Wikipedia

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
And yet you still display a breathtaking ignorance of the doctrine.
And yet, you still haven't disproved my original assertion that Russia did not come in to Ukraine with the shock and awe strategy. They did not come in the same way the US did in 2003 Iraq.

That has been the entire point I was making, but again, you are focused on semantics instead of the strategy employed.

Hey there Proctor. Since you and your pals have used Wikipedia as your source on more than one occasion here then perhaps you should read what is on the Wikipedia page as well. It even states here that it the term did not become popular until around 2003. I think you need to contact the people over at Wikipedia and have them make the "proper" corrections.

I would also take a look at the "Historical Applications" section of this link. If there is anything you see wrong then like I said you should probably contact Wikipedia.

Shock and awe - Wikipedia

Shock and awe (technically known as rapid dominance) is a military strategy based on the use of overwhelming power and spectacular displays of force to paralyze the enemy's perception of the battlefield and destroy their will to fight. Though the concept has a variety of historical precedents, the doctrine was explained by Harlan K. Ullman and James P. Wade in 1996 and was developed specifically for application by the US military by the National Defense University of the United States.

And shock and awe wasn't even conceived in 1991 Desert Shield as @MG1968 was trying to elude to in his original post.

VN Store

Back