War in Ukraine

NATO rightly recognizes that if Putin is allowed to invade Ukraine, it won’t be long before he turns his eyes to the Baltic.

That is why NATO cares.
You all keep saying "invade" and ignore the idea that they could be "pulled in" due to some nonsensical provocation by Ukraine and/or their Western allies.

You make it sound like Putin is just going to wake up one day and say, "Yep... I got nothing better to do today. I might try attacking Ukraine for no reason".

You all keep saying "invade" and ignore the idea that they could be "pulled in" due to some nonsensical provocation by Ukraine and/or their Western allies.

You make it sound like Putin is just going to wake up one day and say, "Yep... I got nothing better to do today. I might try attacking Ukraine for no reason".
Right. He’s amassing an army of over 100K soldiers on the Ukrainian border on the off chance of a “provocation”.

LOL!

Russian troops embark on a frenzy of 'exercises' on Ukrainian border hours after Putin told US and NATO to 'go to hell' and stoked invasion fears - amid claims of 'mass grave' sites being prepared

Russian troops engaged in a frenzy of 'exercises' on the Ukrainian border yesterday hours after Vladimir Putin told US and NATO to 'go to hell', stoking fears of an invasion.

The drills come amid claims 'mass grave' sites, each capable of accommodating 100 bodies, are being prepared along the Ukrainian border ahead of a possible invasion by Russian forces.

Moscow has for weeks been massing tens of thousands of troops, tanks and artillery pieces along its eastern flank, sparking fears of an invasion, though the Kremlin has insisted it is merely a defence force.

More than 1,000 troops were involved in firing exercises in five regions yesterday while tanks conducted mobile defence drills involving 500 soldiers and Sukhoi Su-27SM3 fighter jets practiced challenging warships.

The Russian strongman blamed NATO's militarisation of former Soviet states, such as Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, since the end of the Cold War for the current crisis and threatened that Russia 'can do anything at any cost' to protect itself.

52176799-10342087-image-a-12_1640334167674.jpg

Five ultra modern MiG-31BM interceptor fighter jets (pictured) practiced yesterday amid claims 'mass grave' sties, each capable of accommodating 100 bodies, are being prepared along the Ukrainian border

Russian troops in 'exercises' on Ukraine border hours after Putin told US and NATO 'go to hell' | Daily Mail Online

The ‘arrogant ‘ US ‘built a new empire’ with NATO after the Cold War, says Mikhail Gorbachev after Putin’s blast at alliance over Ukraine

• Mikhail Gorbachev spoke on Friday, almost 30 years since the fall of the USSR
The 'arrogant' United States 'built a new empire' with NATO following the Cold War, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev said on Friday after Russian president Vladimir Putin blasted the alliance in his end-of-year address yesterday.

In recent years President Vladimir Putin has grown increasingly insistent that NATO is encroaching close to Russia's borders, and Moscow last week demanded 'legal guarantees' that the US-led alliance will halt its eastward expansion.

Gorbachev said Washington grew 'arrogant and self-confident' after the collapse of the Soviet Union, leading to the expansion of the NATO military alliance.

'How can one count on equal relations with the United States and the West in such a position?' Gorbachev told state news agency RIA Novosti on the eve of the anniversary of his resignation as the leader of the USSR.

52184373-10342647-image-a-51_1640349816736.jpg

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev (pictured in 2018, file photo) said Friday that Washington grew 'arrogant and self-confident' after the collapse of the Soviet Union, leading to the expansion of the NATO military alliance

The 'arrogant ' US 'built a new empire' with NATO after the Cold War, says Mikhail Gorbachev | Daily Mail Online

If the target invasion date is Christmas, make sure you're watching the right calendar. They could mean Russian Orthodox Christmas on January 6.

Reactions: headhunter15
If the target invasion date is Christmas, make sure you're watching the right calendar. They could mean Russian Orthodox Christmas on January 6.

December 25th on the Julian calendar, which currently corresponds to January 7th on the Gregorian.

He’s massed 100k troops on the border. But yea, he’s gonna get “pulled in”.

Won’t be Putin’s fault when he rolls tanks across the border, right?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
As bad as this is, I’m more concerned with China invading Taiwan. I think the Chinese are waiting to see how the world responds to what happens if Russia invades the Ukraine and then will make their move.

As bad as this is, I’m more concerned with China invading Taiwan. I think the Chinese are waiting to see how the world responds to what happens if Russia invades the Ukraine and then will make their move.

I certainly think they CAN but more I look at it, they are much more likely to take it without firing a shot. Taiwan is a tiny place, no reason to damage it. With USA weak, and use other events like Russia, Iran, etc to pressure Taiwanese to fold into mother China. They are buying politicians there right and left (ours too). It is a better scenario for them with almost no risk and matches their history.

Russia, however, is used to invading neighbors.

Russian troops embark on a frenzy of 'exercises' on Ukrainian border hours after Putin told US and NATO to 'go to hell' and stoked invasion fears - amid claims of 'mass grave' sites being prepared

Russian troops engaged in a frenzy of 'exercises' on the Ukrainian border yesterday hours after Vladimir Putin told US and NATO to 'go to hell', stoking fears of an invasion.

The drills come amid claims 'mass grave' sites, each capable of accommodating 100 bodies, are being prepared along the Ukrainian border ahead of a possible invasion by Russian forces.

Moscow has for weeks been massing tens of thousands of troops, tanks and artillery pieces along its eastern flank, sparking fears of an invasion, though the Kremlin has insisted it is merely a defence force.

More than 1,000 troops were involved in firing exercises in five regions yesterday while tanks conducted mobile defence drills involving 500 soldiers and Sukhoi Su-27SM3 fighter jets practiced challenging warships.

The Russian strongman blamed NATO's militarisation of former Soviet states, such as Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, since the end of the Cold War for the current crisis and threatened that Russia 'can do anything at any cost' to protect itself.

52176799-10342087-image-a-12_1640334167674.jpg

Five ultra modern MiG-31BM interceptor fighter jets (pictured) practiced yesterday amid claims 'mass grave' sties, each capable of accommodating 100 bodies, are being prepared along the Ukrainian border

Russian troops in 'exercises' on Ukraine border hours after Putin told US and NATO 'go to hell' | Daily Mail Online

First time we've seen air assets being moved closer to Ukraine I believe. Also Russian VDV paratroopers are conducting drills along the border too.

Watched a little Rick Maddow and he lamented the treatment of Navalny by Putin. Labeled a "terrorist" in the vein of ISIS and an "extremist". Sounded very familiar.

The ‘arrogant ‘ US ‘built a new empire’ with NATO after the Cold War, says Mikhail Gorbachev after Putin’s blast at alliance over Ukraine

• Mikhail Gorbachev spoke on Friday, almost 30 years since the fall of the USSR
The 'arrogant' United States 'built a new empire' with NATO following the Cold War, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev said on Friday after Russian president Vladimir Putin blasted the alliance in his end-of-year address yesterday.

In recent years President Vladimir Putin has grown increasingly insistent that NATO is encroaching close to Russia's borders, and Moscow last week demanded 'legal guarantees' that the US-led alliance will halt its eastward expansion.

Gorbachev said Washington grew 'arrogant and self-confident' after the collapse of the Soviet Union, leading to the expansion of the NATO military alliance.

'How can one count on equal relations with the United States and the West in such a position?' Gorbachev told state news agency RIA Novosti on the eve of the anniversary of his resignation as the leader of the USSR.

52184373-10342647-image-a-51_1640349816736.jpg

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev (pictured in 2018, file photo) said Friday that Washington grew 'arrogant and self-confident' after the collapse of the Soviet Union, leading to the expansion of the NATO military alliance

The 'arrogant ' US 'built a new empire' with NATO after the Cold War, says Mikhail Gorbachev | Daily Mail Online

Still looks like a bird that has been eating a lot of raspberries took a dump on his head. Just saying.

Russia Advises NATO To (Finally) Honor Its 'Not One Inch Eastward' Pledge | ZeroHedge

The date February 9, 1990 will be forever remembered among historians as a ‘day of infamy’ as far as NATO-Russia relations are concerned. That was the date when U.S. Secretary of State James Baker famously assured Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, during glasnost-era talks on German unification that the Western military bloc would not advance “one inch eastward” towards Russia’s borders.

The level of deception contained in that empty pledge is easily discernible today as NATO membership has exploded since the Cold War times to 30 member states. In 2004, the former Soviet states of Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia joined NATO at the 2004 Istanbul summit; Albania and Croatia became members in 2009, while North Macedonia joined in 2020.

Ras got a question for you:

Russia recently said there would be consequences if Sweden and Finland ever joined NATO. Those two countries are clearly not former Soviet republics and not in the Russian "sphere of influence". So does Putin have the right to be pissed and threaten them if they wanted to join in the future?

Ras got a question for you:

Russia recently said there would be consequences if Sweden and Finland ever joined NATO. Those two countries are clearly not former Soviet republics and not in the Russian "sphere of influence". So does Putin have the right to be pissed and threaten them if they wanted to join in the future?
There are two ways to look at this:

1. Sweden and Finland may want to join NATO
2. NATO makes the decision on whether they will allow them to join or not

I think #1 has always been floating out there... there very well would be countries that would want to join NATO.

The burden, however, falls on NATO to honor their side of the deal/pledge from the 1990s that they wouldn't expand. Just because countries want to join, that doesn't mean that NATO has to accept their membership... unless they just want to be provocative.

VN Store

Back