War in Ukraine

God, the idiots they put on TV in Russia make Fox's clown collection look like a bunch of Einsteins

the real message here is that we should be ramping up diplomatic efforts to end this - this is the only conflict we've been materially involved in where we are completely avoiding trying to bring it to a diplomatic end. our NATO allies are already broaching the topic but Dim Brandon is all "we'll go as long as it takes (except we'll give you just enough to keep from losing so you let Vlad punch himself out)"

You’re right, but to be fair, us too.

And France and the UK have similar veto power, but I can't see the US heading into Mexico or Canada. It just seems that a single veto from a group of five shouldn't carry the weight it does. Aggression is aggression regardless of who is doing it, and I don't consider stopping the invasion or other means of hostile takeover of a country as aggression. If you argued against US actions in Afghanistan, Iraq (other than Kuwaiti liberation), or perhaps others, I'd probably agree with you.

ummm, what's the statute of limitations on taking land?
Why is it relevant. The claim Russia has made is based on made up historical ties to the land. That is why they are getting goofed on. If the US is laying claim to North America in 1492 you might have a point?

Did you take some time to read that analyst on the Budapest Memorandum and its purposeful ambiguity?

Why is it relevant. The claim Russia has made is based on made up historical ties to the land. That is why they are getting goofed on. If the US is laying claim to North America in 1492 you might have a point?

Did you take some time to read that analyst on the Budapest Memorandum and its purposeful ambiguity?

it's relevant because the map I responded to showed Russia over 500 years ago and now as an example of how land control changes. just pointed out that it is human history.

hell, the entire ME conflict centers around "it was ours once". just pointing out that Native Americans would goof on us for any number of historic claims to land. all land has historic ties to some other entity.

as I see it - the land is yours as long as you can hold it. if someone else stops you from holding it, then it isn't yours anymore.

Reactions: hog88
And France and the UK have similar veto power, but I can't see the US heading into Mexico or Canada. It just seems that a single veto from a group of five shouldn't carry the weight it does. Aggression is aggression regardless of who is doing it, and I don't consider stopping the invasion or other means of hostile takeover of a country as aggression. If you argued against US actions in Afghanistan, Iraq (other than Kuwaiti liberation), or perhaps others, I'd probably agree with you.
I just meant that we often use our veto power to turn reject things we don’t like for selfish reasons, even if the global consensus is against us. I think we have used it the most since the Soviet Union fell.

ummm, what's the statute of limitations on taking land?

Are you taking land when it's inhabited from time to time by nomads with overlapping claims? This also happened a long time before the US population was anything like it is now - don't think there were any borders or any maps either? To me the reality is that for a while land has been divvied up between countries. If you take something now, it belongs to somebody else.

it's relevant because the map I responded to showed Russia over 500 years ago and now as an example of how land control changes. just pointed out that it is human history.

hell, the entire ME conflict centers around "it was ours once". just pointing out that Native Americans would goof on us for any number of historic claims to land. all land has historic ties to some other entity.

as I see it - the land is yours as long as you can hold it. if someone else stops you from holding it, then it isn't yours anymore.
Man if I didn’t know better I’d guess you’re walking out some appeasement talking here. Hey they took it so it’s theirs now right? And we have zero obligations on assisting them keeping their territorial borders from 1994 in tact. I guess I’ve also got my answer on whether you read that legal analysis on the memorandum

Reactions: AM64 and BeardedVol

Really, your view is just might is right?

Are you taking land when it's inhabited from time to time by nomads with overlapping claims? This also happened a long time before the US population was anything like it is now - don't think there were any borders or any maps either? To me the reality is that for a while land has been divvied up between countries. If you take something now, it belongs to somebody else.
It’s hard to argue we haven’t taken North America by largely conquest. The lands be bought were the conquest of other Europeans. But if some other power had an obligation to help the natives it sure would have been sad and pathetic for them to weasel out of that commitment 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back