War in Ukraine

Why can't we just make our own domestic productions? Wouldn't that be more productive and beneficial?
We absolutely should, but it’s more complicated than that TSMC is a private company and semiconductor mfg. is very expensive add quite frankly they just do it better than anyone else. On a good note, the opened a fab in the US in Arizona. However, can’t let our real greatest threat control the majority of semiconductors. Semiconductor shortage demonstrated that.

Reactions: Volsdeep4 and AM64
You find no disagreement here. The fall of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact and the peace dividend that followed which allowed for Western Europe to disarm is one the most tragic events that have lead us to this point.
It would have been OK if a nut hadn't taken over Russia.

Turkey just released the Azov commanders captured at Mariupol they were supposed to stay in Turkey for the duration of the war.

Reactions: AM64
I think this was a well informed post. I disagree and but I think it was well argued. Only Putin truly knows. However, I do feel like Trump probably got other world leaders anxious. Now had he beat Biden, Putin may have gotten more bold, even with Trump, and gone into Ukraine. Eventually you challenge even the unpredictable guy.

I don't buy the Putin/Trump were buddies talk. It just doesn't fit with their personalities. Trump was too much of an egotists to be a pawn of Putin. That is just left wing propaganda.

I think Trump wanted to be buddies. IMO Trump admired the oligarch system and would loved to have been a member of the club. He probably envisioned Trump properties in Russia and Russian investment in Trump. Everything Trump does is for Trump.

Also, for those saying China is eager to strike Taiwan because they sense weakness, nothing would have made them more likely to invade than US/European leaders refusing to stand up to Putin.

Absolutely.

Geopolitical events don't happen in a vacuum. All countries are constantly reassessing and recalculating their geopolitical relationships and strategies based on new information.

In fairness to Putin, the geopolitical climate prior to the invasion seemed quite favorable. Xi probably felt similarly. Zero doubt that the entire world, including the West, have been surprised by the events which unfolded in Russia's invasion and have changed their geopolitical calculations accordingly.

VN Store

Back