We have officially

You should check out some of the parks in Utah. Arches and Bryce Canyon especially. I'd put them ahead of the Grand Canyon, personally. They're all stunning though so you can't really go wrong.

:hi:

I agree with respect to Bryce Canyon. The reddish-orange hoodoos are particularly striking at sunrise and sunset. When the light hits them just right, they literally look like glowing embers. They are even more striking if it is early enough in the season for snow to still dot the landscape. Here are links to a couple of representative images of Bryce Canyon NP:

Framed Bryce Canyon Panorama Prints - Photographs by James Kay Photography

Bryce Canyon Royalty Free Stock Image - Image: 23491156

You should check out some of the parks in Utah. Arches and Bryce Canyon especially. I'd put them ahead of the Grand Canyon, personally. They're all stunning though so you can't really go wrong.

:hi:

You forgot Zion. That one is awesome

Yeah...I am a huge National Park nut, but alas I am also poor, and the most beautiful ones are all in the west. We knocked out 5 of them, plus Little Big Horn NB, Devils Tower NM and Mount Rushmore NM two years ago, but it will be awhile before I can put together another trip like that. Zion, Bryce Canyon and Arches are just after the Glacier NP, Yosemite and the GC in my list. Then Crater Lake, Mt Ranier and Death Valley.

tell ya what, my wife and i are going to do a big sky to lake yellowstone trip next year.

after 1st graduation went and worked in the park, at lake. was cool. great fishing!!! best way to see the park. was a family.

honestly, if uve ever worked in park they let u stay for cheap cheap in some of the overflow rooms in the park.

Yeah...I am a huge National Park nut, but alas I am also poor, and the most beautiful ones are all in the west. We knocked out 5 of them, plus Little Big Horn NB, Devils Tower NM and Mount Rushmore NM two years ago, but it will be awhile before I can put together another trip like that. Zion, Bryce Canyon and Arches are just after the Glacier NP, Yosemite and the GC in my list. Then Crater Lake, Mt Ranier and Death Valley.

When i was in college in the mid 90s, my roommate and I drove out to Utah and saw Moab, canyonlands, and Arches NP.

To a 20 year old guy from east TN, that desert canyon landscape was pretty awesome ( and unnerving )

My father and I went to the Grand Canyon, then through Zion and Bryce, and then spent 3 days in Yellowstone. It was a great 10 days.

No excuses, It'll still be loud as hell. It's always been like this. School always starts in late September.
Your stadium is loud, i'll give you that. But these boys have been to the Swamp, Between the Hedges, Bryant Denny, Some have even been to Death Valley, Not to mention playing home games at Neyland. I highly doubt crowd noise will be what dose us in tomorrow afternoon.

Your stadium is loud, i'll give you that. But these boys have been to the Swamp, Between the Hedges, Bryant Denny, Some have even been to Death Valley, Not to mention playing home games at Neyland. I highly doubt crowd noise will be what dose us in tomorrow afternoon.

You do realize there are 30 or so players making their 1st road trip ever?

Regarding playing at Neyland, except for the 1st half of the UF game last year, this team has played to a lot of quiet crowds and empty seats.

Still, I don't think the noise will affect them too much. They'll be focussed.

Don't drink the water I hear it can give you dysentery and kill your whole family.

All you need to do is increase fluid intake.

Feeding them well should help. I think there's probably still 127 lbs. of bacon left in the wagon that was purchased back in Independence.

I don't think it'll be too much of a factor for them either. It was that ducksflypac guy that was saying it will affect the vols. Autzen can get really loud, but it hasn't been at its peak loudness in a while. I have no doubt that Neyland, Tiger stadium, and the swamp are very hostile and loud. You guys got the sheer numbers.

Autzen was at its peak loudness in the 90's/early 2000's.

Last edited:
:lolabove:

NICE find! I actually believed He was going to be at the game. What a a joke this guy is. Gives vol fans a bad name.

Surely you don't really think one guy can give an entire fanbase a bad name? I've met some Duck fans that aren't so great down here. That being said, 95% have been excellent.

Don't let the 5% dwell your perception of us. Every fanbase has their 5%.

Reactions: 1 person
Surely you don't really think one guy can give an entire fanbase a bad name? I've met some Duck fans that aren't so great down here. That being said, 95% have been excellent.

Don't let the 5% dwell your perception of us. Every fanbase has their 5%.

I have a great perception of vol fans. We have our fair share of dbags too. I was just trying to say this guy is a joke compared to real vol fans. I should've worded it differently.

Last edited:

If you have Death Valley on your wish list, here are a couple of nearby destinations to consider:

(1) Should you wind up in Sequoia National Park, do not neglect the stretch of US 395 which parallels the eastern boundary of the park. From Lone Pine, you can take the Whitney Portal Road, which provides access to the Alabama Hills and the trailhead for Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the lower 48. See Great Drives - California's Highway 395 - the Owens Valley and Mount Whitney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(2) 42 miles north of Lone Pine, via US 395, is Big Pine, which is a jumping-off point for the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. From Big Pine, “turn east onto State Hwy 168 just north of Big Pine. Follow Hwy 168 east 13 miles to White Mountain Road. Turn left (north) and drive 10 miles to the Schulman Grove Visitor Center. The Bristlecone pines can be viewed from the parking area of the visitor center and along three nature trails” (Inyo National Forest - Special Places).

Notes pertaining to the White Mountain Road:

(A) This road will take you above 10,000 feet, so dress accordingly.

(B) The Methuselah Grove in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest is the location of the "Methuselah," which is believed to be the oldest living tree on earth.

(C) "At 4,841 years old, this ancient bristlecone pine is the oldest known non-clonal organism on Earth. . . Methuselah's exact location is kept a close secret in order to protect it from the public. (An older specimen named Prometheus, which was about 4,900 years old, was cut down by a researcher in 1964 with the U.S. Forest Service's permission)."

(D) For a representative photo of this tree, see The world's 10 oldest living trees: Methuselah | MNN - Mother Nature Network.

I don't think it'll be too much of a factor for them either. It was that ducksflypac guy that was saying it will affect the vols. Autzen can get really loud, but it hasn't been at its peak loudness in a while. I have no doubt that Neyland, Tiger stadium, and the swamp are very hostile and loud. You guys got the sheer numbers.

Autzen was at its peak loudness in the 90's/early 2000's.

I will say Duck fans do appear to be one par with SEC type crowds. A beautiful stadium and overall area. I agree though that it won't affect UT overall, I'm much more worried about oregon the team. Still a great venue and loud crowd make for great experiences and it will be that. GO VOLS!

I will say Duck fans do appear to be one par with SEC type crowds. A beautiful stadium and overall area. I agree though that it won't affect UT overall, I'm much more worried about oregon the team. Still a great venue and loud crowd make for great experiences and it will be that. GO VOLS!

:hi: I think the game will be a lot closer than most people think. Which means the crowd will be really loud. Stanford and USC are the only ones that have given the ducks a game in recent memory. The blowouts have affected the crowd.

I was up that way a couple of years ago with the family on vacation. I love the northern Rockies. I will probably move to Bozeman, or Jackson WY. when my time here is up. My wife just got offered a job in Jackson last week managing a property with housing included. It was gutwrenching to turn it down.

Spent a week in Bozeman fly fishing, prob 6 yrs ago... Absolutely beautiful place...I'd move there Bro!

I have a great perception of vol fans. We have our fair share of dbags too. I was just trying to say this guy is a joke compared to real vol fans. I should've worded it differently.

Gotcha. I thought that was probably the case based on your other posts.

Spent a week in Bozeman fly fishing, prob 6 yrs ago... Absolutely beautiful place...I'd move there Bro!

spent some time there whike working in the park. my wifes uncle has a condo in big sky.

greeaaat memories of july 4th fireworks then to rocking r bar, which had to be rebuilt a few years back, burned down.

better than jackson hole iyam!

I met some mighty nice Ducks fans in 2010 at Neyland, had some good convos during the lightning delay.

Side note... My wife and I spent 3 days in Bozeman last spring, fishing the Madison River. She was 6 months pregnant at the time ( a real trouper ); our youngest is named Madison, and every time i say her name it reminds me of that place - it was awesome!

Just got off the river (Middle Fork Willamette) biggest rainbow of the day was 22". We're strictly barbless, catch and release, dry fly only fishers.

We stopped in Boise for the Broncos game tonight. Already saw 5 TN fans!! Apparently we weren't the only ones who made a road trip out of this!

It would make a nice late summer trip for those that have the time and are able to afford it. I remember finding Oregon fans in Memphis on a Tuesday during game week which makes me think they were going to visit places all around the state.

I'm jealous of all the Tennessee fans that are in Oregon. I really wish I could've made the trip out there.

Just got off the river (Middle Fork Willamette) biggest rainbow of the day was 22". We're strictly barbless, catch and release, dry fly only fishers.

You probably should have kept that one and eaten it. Maybe one of our fans would have shared their corn from a jar with you

So this kid lied about going to the game. What a tool. Tennessee YouTube troll: Who’s the real coward? | Emerald Media

Wow.

Still, I don't think the noise will affect them too much. They'll be focussed.

I don't think it's the volume as much as the type of noise. If Auburn is representative of SEC noise, that was just a bunch of loud, organized chanting. Effective in its own way.

But, at Autzen, the fans are right behind the players and they're chaotic and relentless. Oregon has a reputation as having friendly people, and they do. But, that seems to go out the window on game day. Think Roman gladiator crowd.

Have to admit that I've cringed at a lot of the comments my fellow Oregon fans have belted out over the years.

NICE find! I actually believed He was going to be at the game. What a a joke this guy is. Gives vol fans a bad name.

I'm glad he didn't go. Someone definitely would have taken him up on his challenge.

VN Store

Back