We have officially

We stopped in Boise for the Broncos game tonight. Already saw 5 TN fans!! Apparently we weren't the only ones who made a road trip out of this!

Reactions: 4 people
Glacier is #2 on my National park bucket list (I have already knocked a few off) right after Yosemite, and just ahead of the GC.

Let me give you a piece of advice with respect to Glacier National Park. It would require sacrificing a week or ten days of the football season, but time your visit for the last third of September. At that time, the tourists will be gone, the elk will be bugling up in the canyons, and you have your best chance of catching the aspen in all of their autumnal splendor. If you are supremely fortunate, the peaks will have received a recent dusting of snow to really offset the aspen and conifer-clad slopes.

Yosemite is certainly gorgeous but Glacier will give you a degree of solitude, particularly in September, that you will never experience in Yosemite without trekking deep into the backcountry. Let me nominate a couple of other areas, if you have not already been there, that surpass many national parks in beauty but, amazingly, have never received that designation: the Sawtooth Mountains, in central Idaho; the Beartooth mountains, just to the northeast of Yellowstone; the Wind River range, located southeast of the Tetons; and the San Juan Range of southwestern Colorado.

You can chew on those while I am crafting a little more detail pertaining to each of those destinations.

Let me give you a piece of advice with respect to Glacier National Park. It would require sacrificing a week or ten days of the football season, but time your visit for the last third of September. At that time, the tourists will be gone, the elk will be bugling up in the canyons, and you have your best chance of catching the aspen in all of their autumnal splendor. If you are supremely fortunate, the peaks will have received a recent dusting of snow to really offset the aspen and conifer-clad slopes.

Yosemite is certainly gorgeous but Glacier will give you a degree of solitude, particularly in September, that you will never experience in Yosemite without trekking deep into the backcountry. Let me nominate a couple of other areas, if you have not already been there, that surpass many national parks in beauty but, amazingly, have never received that designation: the Sawtooth Mountains, in central Idaho; the Beartooth mountains, just to the northeast of Yellowstone; the Wind River range, located southeast of the Tetons; and the San Juan Range of southwestern Colorado.

You can chew on those while I am crafting a little more detail pertaining to each of those destinations.
I have visited the Wind Rivers (drove hwy 287 iirc from Rawlins to GTNP) and the Beartooths as we were leaving Yellowstone (the Chief Joseph hwy, I was so disappointed because the Beartooth pass was close due to a heavy snow, but the CJ hwy. turned out to be just so freakin unbelievable that it is hard to believe the BT hwy could be much better. Also we visited Rocky Mountain NP. The San Juans and Sawtooths are definitely already on my future radar. I have visited the San Juans back in the 80s with my family, but I want to take my kids through there. Thanks for the tips.

Also thanks for the tip about GNP. I have been going back and forth over June vs Fall in my mind. I love seeing all the newborns in the early summer, but I don't want to take a chance on not being able to drive the GGTS road due to a late season snow, like what happened to us in Yellowstone. It snowed about 6 inches overnight on the Beartooth pass on June the 18th so they closed the road. But like I said the CJ hwy turned out awesome.

I have visited the Wind Rivers (drove hwy 287 iirc from Rawlins to GTNP) and the Beartooths as we were leaving Yellowstone (the Chief Joseph hwy, I was so disappointed because the Beartooth pass was close due to a heavy snow, but the CJ hwy. turned out to be just so freakin unbelievable that it is hard to believe the BT hwy could be much better. Also we visited Rocky Mountain NP. The San Juans and Sawtooths are definitely already on my future radar. I have visited the San Juans back in the 80s with my family, but I want to take my kids through there. Thanks for the tips.

The Beartooth Highway does, indeed, traverse significantly more beautiful country than the Chief Joseph Highway. The Sawtooth Mountains are visually quite reminiscent of the Tetons and just as rugged. Indeed, they were formed by the same geological processes but are about 3,000 feet lower in elevation and far less heavily visited than the Tetons.

The Beartooth Mountains are massive, sprawling, craggy peaks and contain, by far, the highest mountains in Montana. I encountered blizzard conditions (no exaggeration) when traversing the Beartooth Highway in mid-August, 1978. The Beartooths would be a superb area for backpacking or, even horsepacking, as there are plenty of outfitters in the area. The Beartooth Highway is, in my opinion, the second most scenic highway I have driven; it is eclipsed only by the Going-to-the-Sun Highway in Glacier, which, because of the manner in which it was constructed, provides such an intimate view of, and experience with, the high country.

Portions of the Wind River Range are even higher than the Tetons and far more remote. These photos should provide an excellent visual sample of what to expect from this area: Big Sandy Lodge, Wyoming, Wind River Mountain Resort and Green River Lakes Campground and trails, Wyoming. Many a fur traders' rendezvous was held in the old Green River Lakes area, and the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale ( Museum of the Mountain Man - Pinedale, Wyoming) would be well worth a visit, as would the extraordinary Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming (Buffalo Bill Center of the West).

Similarly, the San Juans are one of the great mountain ranges in all of America. High, wild, and rugged, the area is traversed by the San Juan Skyway. James Kay, one of the premier landscape photographers in the country, once described the area surrounding Telluride, which is in the heart of that range, as the single best area for fall foliage photography. The small Sneffels sub-range is, perhaps, the most spectacular portion of this area, which is riddled with 14,000-foot peaks. These images will illustrate why: Sneffels Range Autumn : San Juan Mountains, Colorado : Mountain Photography by Jack Brauer and San Juan Mountains - Colorado, Photograph, Autumn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
My crew (4 of us) drove thru the Columbia River gorge, ate at Otto's, snacked at Voodoo Doughnuts, and walked around downtown Portland last night.

Today, we went to Mount Hood and headed to the coast. Beautiful state with nice duck fans.

We have seen Orange at every stop. We are definitely well represented.

Speaking of all the microbrews and voodoo doughnut... I saw this the other day at a beer store. I was intrigued and horrified at the same time. I love trying new beers, but I dunno about this one. A chocolate, banana, peanut butter ale..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4
Also thanks for the tip about GNP. I have been going back and forth over June vs Fall in my mind. I love seeing all the newborns in the early summer, but I don't want to take a chance on not being able to drive the GGTS road due to a late season snow, like what happened to us in Yellowstone. It snowed about 6 inches overnight on the Beartooth pass on June the 18th so they closed the road. But like I said the CJ hwy turned out awesome.

In June, you almost certainly will experience more snowpack in the high country. However, as you have undoubtedly discovered, virtually any portion of the Northern Rockies is also more prone to daily afternoon thunderstorms at that time, and then there are the mosquitoes, hordes of them, which are basically a non-factor in the fall. In recent years, I have become a fall connoisseur of the Rockies. If you have not yet heard elk bugling in the wild, that is an experience you will never forget.

Just got into Portland from Alabama. Talked to 5 other Vols on my flight out of Dallas. Autzen will have a ton of Orange!

Go Vols!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Speaking of all the microbrews and voodoo doughnut... I saw this the other day at a beer store. I was intrigued and horrified at the same time. I love trying new beers, but I dunno about this one. A chocolate, banana, peanut butter ale..

Don't do it... I love trying new beers as well and this made me gag. By far the worst beer I have ever had. Just a head up to those beer lovers staying in Eugene this weekend, one of the premier "beer bars" in the states is located at 16th and Willamette. The Bier Stein. Thousands of bottles and usually around 40 on tap. Good food as well.

Invaded Oregon. I'm impressed.

Already seen hundreds, maybe close to a thousand Vols. We're here.

VFL, GBO

Visiting Tennessee Fans,

A buddy and I had a great time in Knoxville and experienced a level of hospitality that we talk about to this day. As a result we are planning to extend the same to our guests.

We get started at 8:30 and welcome any T fans that want to stop by. We after-party for a couple hours too if you want to come celebrate the Duck win (or gawd-forbid the alternative) with us.

Shoot me an email (millerduck -at- gmail dot com) I will send you a note with an aerial photograph and a picture of our flags to make it easy to find us. We fly the only Vol Navy flag in the lots so it shouldn't be too hard.

Welcome Vol fans and GoDucks!

MD

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Visiting Tennessee Fans,

A buddy and I had a great time in Knoxville and experienced a level of hospitality that we talk about to this day. As a result we are planning to extend the same to our guests.

We get started at 8:30 and welcome any T fans that want to stop by. We after-party for a couple hours too if you want to come celebrate the Duck win (or gawd-forbid the alternative) with us.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a note with an aerial photograph and a picture of our flags to make it easy to find us. We fly the only Vol Navy flag in the lots so it shouldn't be too hard.

MD

Pretenders take notice!
Pure class right here.

Reactions: 5 people
Visiting Tennessee Fans,

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a note with an aerial photograph and a picture of our flags to make it easy to find us. We fly the only Vol Navy flag in the lots so it shouldn't be too hard.

MD

Hopefully we will be guests that you would be willing to have back

This sold out pretty quick around here, I can tell you that nobody liked the bacon one though.

Don't do it... I love trying new beers as well and this made me gag. By far the worst beer I have ever had. Just a head up to those beer lovers staying in Eugene this weekend, one of the premier "beer bars" in the states is located at 16th and Willamette. The Bier Stein. Thousands of bottles and usually around 40 on tap. Good food as well.

Thanks for the warning. And the tip, I'll have to try to make it there one day.

VN Store

Back