Welcome to College Football 2024!

That is about the dumbest take out there. You think Mahomes’ house was given to him, his car or any other luxuries he has? He paid for them. So if a player is getting paid NIL. Then he or she can pay for their education.
That's a bogus comparison. No college athlete is given a house, car, or other luxury by the school.

It's silly to conflate NIL money with pay by the university, or by a pro team.

What you want would guarantee that the best athletes would go somewhere else. Fortunately, no one in the UT administration is that stupid.

The "legal challenge" aspect dies with the exemption. You can't challenge someone for violating a law they have been exempted from. There will ultimately be a compromise, it will result in athletes receiving money from the schools, but how that ends up looking in the end is far from certain and is not likely to make either "side" entirely happy.
The NCAA isn't going to get an anti-trust exemption. Tubby can't even get his bill out of committee, let alone get the Senate to pass it.

The NCAA isn't going to get an anti-trust exemption. Tubby can't even get his bill out of committee, let alone get the Senate to pass it.
Never said they were, but there is mass confusion about the legalities involved here, to the point where we can't have a decent conversation. It is a basic fact that everyone needs to understand that the issue here are these laws that were passed by Congress (the Antitrust laws), and only Congress can change them to bring any semblance of order to the sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAVol85
the QB, RB, and WR sell more jerseys. They bring more national attention... which all things point towards... you gussed it. More money, lol.
But they can’t be productive without the linemen. But obviously you didn’t see my point. So no need to fool with you

That's a bogus comparison. No college athlete is given a house, car, or other luxury by the school.

It's silly to conflate NIL money with pay by the university, or by a pro team.

What you want would guarantee that the best athletes would go somewhere else. Fortunately, no one in the UT administration is that stupid.
See what my response to first, before you put your 2 cents worth in the discussion. Since you brought up Mahomes. But maybe you don’t now how to go back a page or use a forum.

Last edited:
No makes perfect sense. You said it wasn’t free. If it’s not free then they paid for it. So did they pay to use the facilities and other benefits the University provided? Pretty simple question. Actually.
The university CHOSE, via the coach, the athletes. They get the use of the equipment and the scholarship and the NIL and whatever else, as someone told you, because the school (and presumably you) want UT to field a competitive team and, eventually, make money.

Look, Josh Heupel makes $9M / year coaching a national profile SEC football team. It's pretty obvious that coaches making that kind of money aren't coaching "Billy from down the block, Jimmy from one street over, and Bubba if we can wake him up in time...."

It's a very competitive business. They recruit great athletes. Those athletes are worth, to the program, more than just a scholarship.

Would you expect Coach Heupel, at that salary, to only field a bunch of scholarship only athletes? Do you enjoy losing football teams?

See what my response to first, before you put your 2 cents worth in the discussion. Since you brought up Mahomes. But maybe you don’t now how to go back a page or use a forum.
Maybe you don't understand simple comparisons or understand the differences between a salary and endorsement money.

Reactions: Devo182
No makes perfect sense. You said it wasn’t free. If it’s not free then they paid for it. So did they pay to use the facilities and other benefits the University provided? Pretty simple question. Actually.
Tell me that you don't understand the difference in pay and labor.

The athletes pay for their scholarships with their labor. Duh. That makes it "not free".

Get a dictionary, and a calendar.

But it was OK when the coaches did it.
Never heard a damn peep about the coaches, ADs, and commishes...often older men...

But a young guy gets even a share of their market value and folks become anti-capitalists all a sudden.

Interesting 🤔🤔🤔 Tells you all you need to know and it's sad, fragile jealousy.

Tell me that you don't understand the difference in pay and labor.

The athletes pay for their scholarships with their labor. Duh. That makes it "not free".

Get a dictionary, and a calendar.
Is there a monetary agreement when the scholarship is signed? Absolutely!! Learn what’s being said instead of trying to act like you’re that intelligent because obviously you’re not.

I'll always be a Vol fan, but man I'm so glad I grew up when players were our heroes and they loved the ONE school they played for.
That's right. Kids don't see current players as heroes...🤣 The sport was more enjoyable when we could know for sure most kids lived on scraps.

As a conservative member of SCOTUS noted, what a "perverse" thought process. And also a bit of myth ensured by NCAA trash bylaws...players COULDN'T transfer without the program's agreement. They were literally forced to stay, either literally or in their own minds given the strict rules.

Guess everyone goes to work every day happy in knowing they're never doing it for the money, but 100% out of loyalty, no matter how crappy the deal is.

Fwiw they were your "heroes" because you were a kid. And btw far more fans have professional heroes. Those DIRTY folks being paid their market value in cash for their services AND getting NIL deals. For shame!

Jmo but athletes have never been heroes (for solely what they do on the field/court). They're celebrities some choose to look up to, for better or worse. Take it with a grain of salt if you're over 18...

Last edited:
Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Never heard a damn peep about the coaches, ADs, and commishes...often older men...

But a young guy gets even a share of their market value and folks become anti-capitalists all a sudden.

Interesting 🤔🤔🤔 Tells you all you need to know and it's sad, fragile jealousy.
Hypocrites gonna hypocrite. But you know, maybe I'm not being fair about that. Capitalism at its core is truly for the well-off, not little people. Which is why unions were formed in the first place, and is the catalyst for the existence of rednecks.

Oh Hail!!!! I've done it now.
1710092383910.png

Maybe you don't understand simple comparisons or understand the differences between a salary and endorsement money.
Scholarship is a salary and an endorsement. Pretty easy comparison. (Look it up, if you don’t understand) the kids sign a LOI and receive a years tuition for education,all extra benefits from the University. And they are endorsing the University with free gear and public services.

Would the schools find any protection from being under the auspices of the NCAA?
Or would they be completely in collusion with the NCAA?
Considering the schools are the NCAA, as a group (if that's how it was legislated), I find it hard to see them separating the 2.

Could they prove the central office explicitly disobeyed and worked in spite of unis' decisions? Guess so.

Could individual unis prove they were not in agreement? Guess so.

But I'd love to see which schools ever said or acted in that way, up until maybe the past couple years when it became fashionable and a few realized the gig was up. But the vast majority have been complicit in this scheme for decades...maybe a century.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Is there a monetary agreement when the scholarship is signed? Absolutely!! Learn what’s being said instead of trying to act like you’re that intelligent because obviously you’re not.
Is that agreement paid for with below market value labor and lots of it? It absolutely is.

Stop pretending that you even know the definition of "labor" and "fair market value".

Reactions: Devo182

VN Store

Back