what are the biggest what ifs in tennessee football history

If Peyton had never been injured against Auburn in the '97 SEC Championship game, would we have fared better against Nebraska?

What if Dooley beat Vanderbilt last year? Would we still have civil war amongst ourselves on this board?

A second really big question. Let us suppose Doug Dickey or any other progressive-minded offensive coach had been hired two or three years earlier and Tennessee jettisons the single wing-offense during Steve Spurrier's high-school career. Does Spurrier still go to Florida or does he pick the University of Tennessee? If the latter is the case, what is the course of Tennessee football history if, in this parallel universe, he returns to his alma mater as he did at Florida?

Love this one

Biggest what if without question. we were ranked #4 Bama was not. We are setting up for the winning field goal. It gets block rebounds 30 some yards and Bama sets up kick winning field goal. We lost 6-9. The kicker 2 teams ahead of us in the rankings loss. We could have come out of that game being #1 or #2. We may not have had CPF "if" we play for NC that year.

I was there sitting in south endzone. Watched Carl Pickens drop a sure touchdown around 10-15 yd line. Still makes me sick man I hate bama.

I know of one big one...what if Florida's kicker made that last second kick in 98

You must be young.

It wasn't a last second kick. It was in OT. Your point is valid, though.

Back on topic. What if UT doesn't block 2 FG's against ND in 1991?

Reactions: 1 person
What if Hamilton lets Fulmer try to right the ship instead of panicking & making the 2 worst hire in UTFB history?

what if steve spurrier never left florida?

i ask this with all seriousness. i have sort of believed that the reason fulmer wasn't the same later on was because spurrier left. i think spurrier drove him. i don't know if you all buy that or not.

but, if you do, would fulmer have been a different guy during the 2000's and would he still be coach at tennessee had spurrier stayed at florida?

Reactions: 2 people
I was there sitting in south endzone. Watched Carl Pickens drop a sure touchdown around 10-15 yd line. Still makes me sick man I hate bama.

Pickens dropped the pass, not Bama.

I was there as well. It suck. That blocked FG rolled across the carpet for what seemed like minutes before it stopped. You knew their kicker wouldn't miss.

what if Tony Robinson finished the 85 season
I think that the team pulled together after T Rob went down , and we were a better team without him. The defense really stepped up. How much better could we possibly have been at the end of that year?

What if Chuck Webb didn't get hurt against Pacific?

I had never heard this before, but according to Chris Treece, Majors believes Tennessee would have won the national title in '89 with Webb. Food for thought.

I think that the team pulled together after T Rob went down , and we were a better team without him. The defense really stepped up. How much better could we possibly have been at the end of that year?

I agree the defense stepped up. Just wondering what anyone thought would be different. D.D. stepped up big time in his absence (in the end of the year, he struggled in his first start against Wake, Reveiz really stepped up that day) I'm just wondering if we would have been 10-1-1 with Tony.

What if Chuck Webb didn't get hurt against Pacific?

I had never heard this before, but according to Chris Treece, Majors believes Tennessee would have won the national title in '89 with Webb. Food for thought.

In '89 he had both Cobb and Webb until the Bama game. Webb was hurt against Pacific in 1990.

I agree the defense stepped up. Just wondering what anyone thought would be different. D.D. stepped up big time in his absence (in the end of the year, he struggled in his first start against Wake, Reveiz really stepped up that day) I'm just wondering if we would have been 10-1-1 with Tony.

Of course, this particular year was literally a "team of destiny" So, I'm not saying we would have beaten Miami without D.D. and WITH T.R. Just wondering

VN Store

Back