What did you have for dinner II?

Looking for a good traditional Louisiana/Southern Red Beans & Rice concoction. We have been dry bean hoarders. OK. Well, my wife is. I made all the trips to the sore last week to keep peace. Calling her one of those panic people didn't go well. We still have 45 plus days TP (easy). She asked me yesterday if I looked for TP when I was at store that day for an onion. Deja Vu.

A fellow from Slidell, the former proprietor of The French Quarter Sandwich Shop (alas, no more) gave me the following advice - While your beans are dry, sort through them and pick out any foreign matter. Wash/rinse them before soaking/cooking them. If you're going to soak your beans prior to cooking them,* first add salt to hot water, stir to dissolve, then let water return to room temp before adding beans. Salt in the soak water will help to keep the beans whole/intact as they reconstitue and plump up.

Seasoning them during the cooking process - Add your measured amount of salt to the cook water right up front. At the same time, add any onion/shallot/garlic and/or cured meat purposed for flavor and texture of the finished beans. If your plan is to cook 'em low and slow, wait until about 1/2 hour before they should be done, then add your three-pepper (black, white, dried cayenne) seasoning and any herb(s) to taste. The flavors will be brighter.

He served his such that the beans were perfectly done, not bean goo. If need be, he would carefully remove the beans and reduce the cooking fluid to create "bean gravy" of the proper quantity & consistency. This he would marry back to the beans for serving.

Yeah, I know... They're just beans... I made mine with garlic buds, the leftover ends of smoked andouille sausages, salt, and three-pepper seasonings. By the time I was ready to serve, the beans were perfectly done and the cooking fluid was already the perfect clingy consistency. Go figure.

*He acknowledged that some folks just add dried beans to water and cooked them for six+ hours. I don't, so he didn't elaborate on that method.

A fellow from Slidell, the former proprietor of The French Quarter Sandwich Shop (alas, no more) gave me the following advice - While your beans are dry, sort through them and pick out any foreign matter. Wash/rinse them before soaking/cooking them. If you're going to soak your beans prior to cooking them,* first add salt to hot water, stir to dissolve, then let water return to room temp before adding beans. Salt in the soak water will help to keep the beans whole/intact as they reconstitue and plump up.

Seasoning them during the cooking process - Add your measured amount of salt to the cook water right up front. At the same time, add any onion/shallot/garlic and/or cured meat purposed for flavor and texture of the finished beans. If your plan is to cook 'em low and slow, wait until about 1/2 hour before they should be done, then add your three-pepper (black, white, dried cayenne) seasoning and any herb(s) to taste. The flavors will be brighter.

He served his such that the beans were perfectly done, not bean goo. If need be, he would carefully remove the beans and reduce the cooking fluid to create "bean gravy" of the proper quantity & consistency. This he would marry back to the beans for serving.

Yeah, I know... They're just beans... I made mine with garlic buds, the leftover ends of smoked andouille sausages, salt, and three-pepper seasonings. By the time I was ready to serve, the beans were perfectly done and the cooking fluid was already the perfect clingy consistency. Go figure.

*He acknowledged that some folks just add dried beans to water and cooked them for six+ hours. I don't, so he didn't elaborate on that method.
This guy 👆knows what’s up.👍.. even if he jumps outta perfectly good planes.
trying to up my emoji game since social distance stuff😂

Looking for a good traditional Louisiana/Southern Red Beans & Rice concoction. We have been dry bean hoarders. OK. Well, my wife is. I made all the trips to the sore last week to keep peace. Calling her one of those panic people didn't go well. We still have 45 plus days TP (easy). She asked me yesterday if I looked for TP when I was at store that day for an onion. Deja Vu.

Picked up a take out lasagna from place close to my parents home. Dad has Alzheimer’s and isn’t doing well and couldn’t happen at a worse time for me personally but what we gonna do? Good lasagna with a salad and garlic bread is gonna make it all better!
Sorry to hear that. That's a load to carry.

Picked up a take out lasagna from place close to my parents home. Dad has Alzheimer’s and isn’t doing well and couldn’t happen at a worse time for me personally but what we gonna do? Good lasagna with a salad and garlic bread is gonna make it all better!
Yum! I'd like to find a place doing a pan of lasagna 😆. Sorry about your dad, my grandma had it, awful disease.

Sorry your dad is having a hard time. We lost my wife's aunt yesterday. She'd been fighting Alzheimer's for about 5 years. I went through it with my mamaw several years back. I know how difficult it is. It's even more so right now.

Sorry your dad is having a hard time. We lost my wife's aunt yesterday. She'd been fighting Alzheimer's for about 5 years. I went through it with my mamaw several years back. I know how difficult it is. It's even more so right now.
Yeah we’ve been dealing with it for about 3.5 years and mom had finally gotten mentally to the point where she was really Ready to put him in a place that can take better care of him. We held out as long as we could with me traveling over an hour to bathe feed etc but then along came corona and boom no admittance to elder care facilities. We’ve had hospice for about 3 months and even they are cutting back hard. I’m spending the night over here couple times a week

Yeah we’ve been dealing with it for about 3.5 years and mom had finally gotten mentally to the point where she was really Ready to put him in a place that can take better care of him. We held out as long as we could with me traveling over an hour to bathe feed etc but then along came corona and boom no admittance to elder care facilities. We’ve had hospice for about 3 months and even they are cutting back hard. I’m spending the night over here couple times a week
That's rough. You just never know how things will go with Alzheimer's, at the best of times. We're lucky to have other family around to help shoulder the burden. I can't imagine what it would be like going through it with a parent.

Reactions: VolNExile
That's rough. You just never know how things will go with Alzheimer's, at the best of times. We're lucky to have other family around to help shoulder the burden. I can't imagine what it would be like going through it with a parent.
You got that right he has been in slow steady decline but about 3 weeks ago we drove off a cliff. He is virtually non communicative and violent now hitting etc. my father has always been a loving great dad and I figure it’s payback time changing diapers and feeding him for all the crap he didn’t kill us over when we were kids.
Lol pouring my guts out to volnation tonight is keeping me sane but check this out. We did have a good support between three kids (I live the farthest away at 1.5 hours or so). My brother is a captain Leo and we are waiting to hear if he and his family are gonna be quarantined since the other captains mother was diagnosed with covid19 and he is under quarantine. As you can imagine he is extremely busy as is his wife who is a high school Teacher. My younger sister works for a daycare but she is on a leave of absence for a foot problem for a week or so but we don’t really want her to be here due to my parents age mid to late 70s until she has been away from the kids for 3-4 weeks.
On top of my business being a wreck, this family stuff, if they cancel the only thing I’m looking forward to in sept driving 6.5 hours to Knoxville, I’m gonna lose my mind. My financial advisor is in Knoxville at UBS and I always meet with him the Friday before the 1rst home game and he called today and I said are you calling to let me know the season is canceled or our Friday meeting is cancelled cause I don’t have anything left. He laughed and said I was fine (relatively speaking) but we might need an alternate plan. Give your family a virtual hug and remember those a lot less fortunate than us! God bless y’all! Y’all are cheaper than a psychologist for me!

Air fryer rotisserie-style chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, black pepper, and celery salt rub
Loaded roasted cauliflower (bacon crumbles, cream cheese, shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped green onions - think loaded baked potatoes)
Accidentally dry-roasted (supposed to be steamed, but forgot to add water first🤪) asparagus and white wine and butter sauce with sautéed shallots, red peppers, and mushrooms

1585269432262.jpeg

VN Store

Back