What did you have for dinner II?

He's a pro. Modified his smoker, created recipes to use based on studying what others do, his food is sooooo good!!
I bet, that chicken looks fantastic. I've toyed with the idea of building my own smoker a couple of times. I've never pulled the trigger though. I pretty much always edit recipes to suit my own taste. I've never quite made them from scratch though. My BBQ sauce has evolved over the years for sure. Has he ever done competitions? The wife and I would love to do something like that in retirement, when we get there.

Reactions: vollygirl
Nice work on the checkerboard backsplash but tell your boy I’m disappointed in him if he didn’t take some artistic license and slap some orange on there when he was home cooking. Looks like awesome food!
I've got more orange in my kitchen than a person should have. haha

Reactions: VolNExile
Went with @vollygirl ’s Cajun shrimp air fryer recipe, but had to tap dance a bit due to ingredients on hand:
1/2 lb each shrimp, andouille, and chIcken breasts
2 zucchini
1 red, 1 yellow pepper
1 medium yellow onion
2T Cajun spices
11 minutes at 400 (extra veggies required extra time)

Volly, did you increase the amount of spices any? I doubled it, and although it had a nice flavor, it was still pretty mild.

We really liked this and will make it often, assuming we can manage to have all the ingredients on hand at the same time!

I bet, that chicken looks fantastic. I've toyed with the idea of building my own smoker a couple of times. I've never pulled the trigger though. I pretty much always edit recipes to suit my own taste. I've never quite made them from scratch though. My BBQ sauce has evolved over the years for sure. Has he ever done competitions? The wife and I would love to do something like that in retirement, when we get there.
No, but I told him he should! Actually, I wish he and his brother would open a food truck, or find a way to sell it. His brisket is STUPID!!!

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Went with @vollygirl ’s Cajun shrimp air fryer recipe, but had to tap dance a bit due to ingredients on hand:
1/2 lb each shrimp, andouille, and chIcken breasts
2 zucchini
1 red, 1 yellow pepper
1 medium yellow onion
2T Cajun spices
11 minutes at 400 (extra veggies required extra time)

Volly, did you increase the amount of spices any? I doubled it, and although it had a nice flavor, it was still pretty mild.

We really liked this and will make it often, assuming we can manage to have all the ingredients on hand at the same time!
Hell no! I used the green can stuff, Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, and that and the sausage was plenty spicy for us.

You are a hottie!!!!

No, but I told him he should! Actually, I wish he and his brother would open a food truck, or find a way to sell it. His brisket is STUPID!!!
Brisket is tough to get right. My St Louis ribs are probably my best dish. There is a good truck here in the Tri that's been around for years and does really well. You can do well at it of you can get established. Competing seems a little easier to get into to me. You can compete with a smoker and tent in a lot of them.

Brisket is tough to get right. My St Louis ribs are probably my best dish. There is a good truck here in the Tri that's been around for years and does really well. You can do well at it of you can get established. Competing seems a little easier to get into to me. You can compete with a smoker and tent in a lot of them.
He used to work at my company, and brought in brisket for lunch. We nuked it.....and it was as tender as the day he took it off the smoker. Incredible!! People in the breakroom couldn't believe it!

He loves doing it as a hobby, and cooking for family and friends. Has no interest in doing it as a business, regardless of how much I think strangers deserve to experience it. lol

He used to work at my company, and brought in brisket for lunch. We nuked it.....and it was as tender as the day he took it off the smoker. Incredible!! People in the breakroom couldn't believe it!

He loves doing it as a hobby, and cooking for family and friends. Has no interest in doing it as a business, regardless of how much I think strangers deserve to experience it. lol
I can certainly respect that. Turning a hobby into a career could sour you on it.

Ha! I eat anything you'd put in bread on mixed greens now. So good!! (Except hot dogs, that's slaw instead of lettuce.)
Yep, when I was watching my specific calorie intake to learn how to eat better, cutting out bread with burgers/hotdogs/etc. was easy the easy choice for me. I'd rather have the calories from the slice of cheese on top rather than the bread.

I can certainly respect that. Turning a hobby into a career could sour you on it.
My hobby turned into losing a lot of money😂
Back at my parents tonight and made deer stew for my dad it was always one of his favorites. he is in that babbling mostly incoherent stage now but every once in while he will engage.
My mom was watching him snarf it down spilling a lot into his lap... she says wasn’t it nice of him to make this for you, isn’t it good?
Dad: not really
mom: well that’s not nice to say
dad: he’s not nice to me (cause I kept his spoon until we said grace).
mom: he came all the way over here to stay with us for a few days
Dad: I dont care.
me: I guess I’ve lost my touch.
it’s like having a 2 year old again, you got to laugh to keep from crying Lol.
No pictures of the deer stew but it was good despite what the critics thought!

Back at my parents tonight and made deer stew for my dad it was always one of his favorites. he is in that babbling mostly incoherent stage now but every once in while he will engage.
My mom was watching him snarf it down spilling a lot into his lap... she says wasn’t it nice of him to make this for you, isn’t it good?
Aw. That's hard. But those of us who've had someone in our life that way understand.

That's just heartbreaking. You can't take any of it seriously though. It's not him talking it's that hell spawned disease. Still it's got to be a heavy burden.

I love me some deer stew btw. I don't get it much these days.

Reactions: bag12day
That's just heartbreaking. You can't take any of it seriously though. It's not him talking it's that hell spawned disease. Still it's got to be a heavy burden.

I love me some deer stew btw. I don't get it much these days.
Like I said he was great dad and took me fishing, he wasn’t good at teaching hunting but he did take me. I got some great funny stories of things he has said and y’all know if you don’t find the humor you would just sit around and cry. I bought my farm so I could grow my own food and make sure I had deer in the freezer so I don’t worry about this stuff cause I got food and I’m gonna social distance on a lake when I can get back home if I can catch up my chores.

Like I said he was great dad and took me fishing, he wasn’t good at teaching hunting but he did take me. I got some great funny stories of things he has said and y’all know if you don’t find the humor you would just sit around and cry. I bought my farm so I could grow my own food and make sure I had deer in the freezer so I don’t worry about this stuff cause I got food and I’m gonna social distance on a lake when I can get back home if I can catch up my chores.
It sounds like he did his job well. It also sounds a lot like my uncle and cousins place in SW VA. That's where I'll be headed when the apocalypse comes.

"Once a man, twice a child"

Reactions: bag12day

VN Store

Back