What did you have for dinner II?

We just use the one on the Back of the White Lilly bag.
What milk do you use, and what kind of shortening? And baking powder/soda? Not asking for the recipe, lol.

It makes me crazy that I’m still using the recipe my grandmother wrote out for my mother when she was married in 1945, but I just wind up with these lumps. I’m reasonably sure that I’m not overworking the dough.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
What milk do you use, and what kind of shortening? And baking powder/soda? Not asking for the recipe, lol.

It makes me crazy that I’m still using the recipe my grandmother wrote out for my mother when she was married in 1945, but I just wind up with these lumps. I’m reasonably sure that I’m not overworking the dough.
Whole buttermilk, unbleached self rising flower so no baking powder/soda, salted butter instead of shortening.

Reactions: VolNExile
Holy cow, that’s some rise!

Mine used to do that when I was a girl, but they’re just hockey pucks these days. Same recipe, but something sure has changed.
lost the touch, not enough practice, lost your easy bake oven...😂

I’m asking!!!!
i think over working is my wife’s issue usually (but 30+ years married I’m not stupid enough to say it) and my grandma taught her how to make her biscuits I can remember saying pretend like your don’t want to break an egg in the middle of the dough. and for the record I’ll take your wife’s recipe if she giving it I ain’t too proud to beg. Dem things look divine.
Whole buttermilk, unbleached self rising flower so no baking powder/soda, salted butter instead of shortening.
I’m going to have to start making some changes. There have obviously been some alterations to at least one of the ingredients over the decades.
If Steve means whole real buttermilk (virtually unheard of around here) instead of cultured low-fat I would imagine that could certainly be an issue... I would love to know! My grandmas were awesome in Knoxville and were different when she moved to nc to be close to us after grandad died and I can remember her saying the buttermilk was different.

I’m asking!!!!
i think over working is my wife’s issue usually (but 30+ years married I’m not stupid enough to say it) and my grandma taught her how to make her biscuits I can remember saying pretend like your don’t want to break an egg in the middle of the dough. and for the record I’ll take your wife’s recipe if she giving it I ain’t too proud to beg. Dem things look divine.

If Steve means whole real buttermilk (virtually unheard of around here) instead of cultured low-fat I would imagine that could certainly be an issue... I would love to know! My grandmas were awesome in Knoxville and were different when she moved to nc to be close to us after grandad died and I can remember her saying the buttermilk was different.
20200329_212755.jpg

Reactions: bag12day

I’m asking!!!!

We (the generational thang) used regular milk, not self-rising flour, and Crisco. I’m using the same ding-dang ingredients, including getting whole milk instead of our current 2%, and hmmph.

So I don’t mind switching to buttermilk and butter and whatever, but I feel sad that Mama Bea’s recipe no longer works. And no, I’m not overworking it. Same cutting in with two forks, etc.

We (the generational thang) used regular milk, not self-rising flour, and Crisco. I’m using the same ding-dang ingredients, including getting whole milk instead of our current 2%, and hmmph.

So I don’t mind switching to buttermilk and butter and whatever, but I feel sad that Mama Bea’s recipe no longer works. And no, I’m not overworking it. Same cutting in with two forks, etc.
It's got to be a change to one of the ingredients.

I feel sad for you...It would be so awesome to know for sure and after they’re gone it’s too late like in my grandmas case. I can’t even find whole buttermilk here.

I feel sad for you...It would be so awesome to know for sure and after they’re gone it’s too late like in my grandmas case. I can’t even find whole buttermilk here.
I’m still working on it! - the two times a year that we make biscuits. (We pretend to be low-carb, including no bread, although Hubs certainly eats cornbread when I make it with chili!)

Last edited:

Baking powder?

Wife's turned flat a while back. She uses self rising for biscuits, but seldom makes them (healthy cooking). I looked at the expiration date on the bag and it was 2014.
I keep baking powder in the fridge, and it was also past the date.

VN Store

Back