What did you have for dinner II?

I used to do good biscuits, consistently a long, long, long time ago. Used self rising, cut the shortening in, got it right. Then didn't make for long time, now can't hit it right. I have 2 solutions:

1. Mrs. B's frozen (The thins are my fav)
2. 7-Up Biscuits. Super simple and fluff every time. 2C Bisquick, 1/2C 7-Up, 1/2C sour cream. Mix. Pat out. Cut biscuits, place in baking dish with 1/4C melted butter in bottom. Bake. This is my go to recipe now for homemade.
3. Alternate recipe - Bisquick short cake biscuits. sugar added for using with strawberry shortcake, etc., but super good so I have made them a bit just as biscuits. Only the recipe is not on box anymore and have to look up, so I haven't made in a while.

Had our now Sunday traditional smoked salmon and basil caper pasta yesterday.

Saturday - Air fryer burgers.

I'm all in on the sausage and kraut up above, but I'm only one of us three that would eat it.

I'm gonna throw this out. I haven't done recently, but it is awesome. My mom made. @VolNExile would probably get on this based on her food pics:

Fried cabbage - Head of cabbage sliced thin (1/4") across head and one or two cross cuts. several slice prepared crispy bacon crumbled (reserve drippings). Can of corn, drained (fresh corn if possible). Saute cabbage and corn down in skillet with just enough bacon drippings to do the job. Don't want greasy cabbage. Can sub canola or grapeseed oil if desired. Salt, pepper to taste. Add crumbled bacon. Great side to many things.

Reactions: VolNExile
I
Awesome dish. I make mine with confetti pasta just to have that good look on the plate. And so simple. Pasta, Clams, clam juice, white wine, olive oil, salt, pepper.
I have been growing Basil and crush it then add it to the sauce. Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese...delicious.

Check out this video:

Last edited:
Baking powder?

Wife's turned flat a while back. She uses self rising for biscuits, but seldom makes them (healthy cooking). I looked at the expiration date on the bag and it was 2014.
I keep baking powder in the fridge, and it was also past the date.
Yep, replaced the powder and soda. And when my mother still lived in her house, I’m not certain that hers were from this decade. Or century. Or millennium, come to think of it! 🤪

I used to do good biscuits, consistently a long, long, long time ago. Used self rising, cut the shortening in, got it right. Then didn't make for long time, now can't hit it right. I have 2 solutions:

1. Mrs. B's frozen (The thins are my fav)
2. 7-Up Biscuits. Super simple and fluff every time. 2C Bisquick, 1/2C 7-Up, 1/2C sour cream. Mix. Pat out. Cut biscuits, place in baking dish with 1/4C melted butter in bottom. Bake. This is my go to recipe now for homemade.
3. Alternate recipe - Bisquick short cake biscuits. sugar added for using with strawberry shortcake, etc., but super good so I have made them a bit just as biscuits. Only the recipe is not on box anymore and have to look up, so I haven't made in a while.
Well, at least it’s not just me! 🤪

And I do use White Lily, so there. Just not the self-rising kind.

I spoze I’ll have to sell out and go to self-rising. —Somewhere in Memphis Memorial Park Cemetery, a maintenance staffer sighs and once again has to smooth down my grandmother’s grave after she rolled over.

Reactions: bag12day
Had our now Sunday traditional smoked salmon and basil caper pasta yesterday.

Saturday - Air fryer burgers.

I'm all in on the sausage and kraut up above, but I'm only one of us three that would eat it.

I'm gonna throw this out. I haven't done recently, but it is awesome. My mom made. @VolNExile would probably get on this based on her food pics:

Fried cabbage - Head of cabbage sliced thin (1/4") across head and one or two cross cuts. several slice prepared crispy bacon crumbled (reserve drippings). Can of corn, drained (fresh corn if possible). Saute cabbage and corn down in skillet with just enough bacon drippings to do the job. Don't want greasy cabbage. Can sub canola or grapeseed oil if desired. Salt, pepper to taste. Add crumbled bacon. Great side to many things.
This sounds great! The thrill of boiled cabbage wears off PDQ. And I’m not a kraut fan either.

Well, at least it’s not just me! 🤪

And I do use White Lily, so there. Just not the self-rising kind.

I spoze I’ll have to sell out and go to self-rising. —Somewhere in Memphis Memorial Park Cemetery, a maintenance staffer sighs and once again has to smooth down my grandmother’s grave after she rolled over.

Whether you use all-purpose or self-rising, the touch is in the amount of shortening. Too little or too much and the biscuits aren't light and fluffy and don't rise. It takes a while to figure out the amount, and not long to lose the touch. When I could make good ones I was making atleast once a week from scratch.

Whether you use all-purpose or self-rising, the touch is in the amount of shortening. Too little or too much and the biscuits aren't light and fluffy and don't rise. It takes a while to figure out the amount, and not long to lose the touch. When I could make good ones I was making atleast once a week from scratch.
That’s probably a big part of it right there.

img.jpg

That’s probably a big part of it right there.
Shortening is about a third the amount of buttermilk, the way my grandmothers taught me. Add a couple spoonfuls of flour to help mix the milk and shortening, then add enough flour to get the consistency you want for your dough.

Reactions: VolNExile
Clean out the fridge night: some sort of unnamable yummy mess involving sautéed chicken breasts and Italian sausage, onion, garlic, orange bell pepper, celery, carrots, mushrooms, something else that I’ve forgotten, corn (!), diced tomatoes, tomato paste and passata, rosemary, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, Marsala, cream, and pippete pasta, only a few months beyond best by date.

VN Store

Back