What do you guys think about the no huddle offense?

Normally I'm against it because it's tiring to a defense...but since Tennessee's doing it, I'm all for it! Lol!

No huddle, if done right, can created many advantages for the offense. However, too many 3 and outs will expose our defense. I'm for it as long as it works. But a good coach will adjust strategy based on in-game situations. Also adjusting the system to fit the players, rather then forcing the talent to mold to a particular system, I think, at least early in CBJ UT career (until he can recruit the kind of talent to fit), will be crucial for success. I am thinking more in particular about the spread offense and a no-huddle approach. No-huddle I think in general is a in-game strategy that can and should be adjusted to in-game situations. No-huddle can be integrated systematically, meaning most of the time our offense is going no huddle rather then the opposite, but in the end its subject to change if the situation is called for.

Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bielema have spoken against it. Coach Bielema recently proposed for a rule against it citing major strain on the opposing safety and d-line for rules against switching defensive players during the hurry up.

Y! SPORTS

Quote from Arkansas Coach Bielema

Both of those coaches prefer the style of controlling the ball with sustained drives and get em off the field type aproach. While Texas A&M, Auburn and our coach Jones prefer the no huddle approach.

Are you for it or against it?

Well, uh....let's see here: 3 or the last 4 NCs have been won by a team that huddles up, lines up, and whips the dline and Lbs azzes.....runs the ball at will, and throws the ball very effectively off of play action......What's not to like about that style of football?

And....How many teams have won the NC running the No-huddle, hurry up offense???? Seems cut and dried to me....:salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Well, uh....let's see here: 3 or the last 4 NCs have been won by a team that huddles up, lines up, and whips the dline and Lbs azzes.....runs the ball at will, and throws the ball very effectively off of play action......What's not to like about that style of football?

And....How many teams have won the NC running the No-huddle, hurry up offense???? Seems cut and dried to me....:salute:

How about when Urban won 2/3? Name one spread team with as much talent as LSU and Alabubber. It's about Jimmies and Joes, not x's and o's

The no huddle only works when the team actually scores. They are not trying to control the clock. Bama had a bunch of chances to beat A&M but had an interception and fumbles.

If our offense doesn't at least get a field goal on each possession and the other team takes their time, eventually our team will get tired. Remember Oregon vs Tennessee the first time?!

Last edited:
Nick Saban and Arkansas coach Bielema have spoken against it. Coach Bielema recently proposed for a rule against it citing major strain on the opposing safety and d-line for rules against switching defensive players during the hurry up.

Y! SPORTS

Quote from Arkansas Coach Bielema

Both of those coaches prefer the style of controlling the ball with sustained drives and get em off the field type aproach. While Texas A&M, Auburn and our coach Jones prefer the no huddle approach.

Are you for it or against it?

I like it! Manning uses it when the offense has problems moving the ball. If it is good enough for Manning, its good enough for Tennessee and me.

Of course Saban doesn't like it because Texas A&M offense gave his defense fits last year.

I'm for it. I will say that you need a good defense with good depth for it be effective in the sec.

I'd agree that with the up tempo offense you need a defense that goes at least three deep. Got to keep fresh athletes on the field or you'll get run over. From an Oregon perspective, a couple things seem to happen, one athletes are better conditioned, not just carrying cardiac weight around, more athletes get playing time in close games. At Oregon the phrase "Next man up" is real, you better be ready to go if you're on the three or four deep chart.

It's not like when you get recruited and see a All American freshman or sophomore ahead of you, you know you're not getting playing time unless he leaves for the NFL or is injured, or you wait till your senior year to get that one season of college starts you so want.

With the depth requirements it keeps everyone sharp and ready to go.

The no huddle only works when the team actually scores. They are not trying to control the clock. Bama had a bunch of chances to beat A&M but had an interception and fumbles.

If our offense doesn't at least get a field goal on each possession and the other team takes their time, eventually our team will get tired. Remember Oregon vs Tennessee the first time?!

This isn't entirely true, first you can burn a ton of clock in the no huddle should you choose to. Second, offenses get more possessions in the no huddle, assuming you hold an opponent to 3 or less on a possession all you need is to score a TD on every other possession to win.

You don't necessarily go fast in no huddle. You can stand at LOS and let the play clock run down before snap. Its main focus is waiting until defense committs to personnel package and scheme before play call. I haven't spent a lot of time studying Butchs offense but looking at that Cincy game when he was there it looked like a typical spread zone blocking scheme. If the QB can motor a little bit its very effective. Makes defense go 11 on 11 and defend the whole field. Florida won NC's with it

???

Is there a secret NCAAF rule that says, if you don't huddle, you have to snap the ball as soon as you're set? I've seen many no-huddle offenses milk the clock. I saw Chaney do it last year at UT.

I remember O vs UT the first time.The no-huddle came out in the 2nd half and waxed us. That's a strange occurrence for a team that had supposedly worn themselves out...

and it is probably what will lead to Defensive linemen becoming even more athletic and smaller. Dt tackle will be 250 and de ends 225.... go for speed and stamina verses big and bulky...

Before you argue with me...think about how many Oliver Millers are in basketball now??? the game has changed to longer slimmer players....

and it is probably what will lead to Defensive linemen becoming even more athletic and smaller. Dt tackle will be 250 and de ends 225.... go for speed and stamina verses big and bulky...

Before you argue with me...think about how many Oliver Millers are in basketball now??? the game has changed to longer slimmer players....

I'll just get my 300 pound fatties to pound that <1000 pound oline. Alabama would make us their ***** if our line is that small. Add fourty pounds each, and I will agree.

Saban doesn't like it because it's his own kryptonite. He can't get his defense in place to stop it. A&M killed him with it, Auburn dominated the entire second half with it, and Utah gave them a beating with it as well. Saban has trouble against a spread offense, and it's been proven on several occasions. It's as if he can't make the proper in-game adjustments. Believe it or not, if we play smart football and limit mistakes, we might have a fair shot against them this year. If our defense is improved of course. Not saying we beat Bama by no means, but it could be a closely contested game.

Auburn only beat him with it once, and that was with a once in a lifetime qb under center. The other three times Auburn ran it against him (without Cam under center), it didn't work out so well for them. Texas A&M handed him his rear end on a silver platter with it. But, just like Auburn, they had the Heisman winner running it. The key is having the actual personnel to run it. You can't just plug any old warm body in there and think everything is just going to be peachy. You MUST have the material.

Auburn only beat him with it once, and that was with a once in a lifetime qb under center. The other three times Auburn ran it against him (without Cam under center), it didn't work out so well for them. Texas A&M handed him his rear end on a silver platter with it. But, just like Auburn, they had the Heisman winner running it. The key is having the actual personnel to run it. You can't just plug any old warm body in there and think everything is just going to be peachy. You MUST have the material.

Same can be said for any scheme/philosophy.

Again, it comes down to scheme, talent, coaching (throw in desire and determination while we're at it.)

And, starting in 2008, Bama having the #1, #1, #5, #1, and then #1 classes in the nation doesn't hurt.

Most schools count their blessings to have 1 Top 5 class in 5 years and make a run with that. Bama has 4 in 5 years. That has a lot to do with their at-will success. Their offense is cut-dry. It's the same as UT was with Randy Sanders. We just lined up and out-sized, out-sped and out-talented people. Their offense, without a plethora of NFL talent, would fail spectacularly if they switched rosters with, say, Mizzou.

Last edited:
And I don't want to see defenses at a disadvantage because they are unable to substitute because of pace. The offensive rules were instituted long before the idea of everyone running the 2 minute, hurry up drill, the entire game. Time for substance over gimmick.

Tusk, I get the feeling that if the year were 1906 you would be apoplectic about the first forward pass putting defenses at a disadvantage. The game has been evolving since it's inception. And, it has been evolving in every facet of the game.

As for me, I don't care if UT uses the spread, hurry up, wishbone, option, or anything else that is legal...as long as it helps us be competitive and win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Urban's offense will similarly strive for a higher number of snaps per game, but it will sometimes go to the line of scrimmage after a play in the no-huddle, then control the clock by letting the play clock wind down as necessary. In short, the no-huddle allows the offense to methodically control the clock and set the tempo for the defense but doesn't require scoring drives to only last 30 seconds.

Urbanball: Clock and Ball Control | Eleven Warriors

I'll just get my 300 pound fatties to pound that <1000 pound oline. Alabama would make us their ***** if our line is that small. Add fourty pounds each, and I will agree.

If you look at the roster for Oregon and sort it by weight, they only have about 2 or 3 over 300 lbs. The ones that are over are only 305 lbs. Their offensive line averages about 290. Lets see how they handle a quicker, slim down version of big Dan McCullars at 350 lbs.

If you look at the roster for Oregon and sort it by weight, they only have about 2 or 3 over 300 lbs. The ones that are over are only 305 lbs. Their offensive line averages about 290. Lets see how they handle a quicker, slim down version of big Dan McCullars at 350 lbs.

Their schemes are designed to use confusion and misdirection against the defense. It uses their strengths against them. It's kind of like "hard" verses "soft" martial arts. Hard martial arts like karate use force against force. Soft arts like Wing Chun, Aikido, etc, use the opponent's force and strength to make them unbalanced, and then throw them, or attack in another way.

Play "sticky hands" with my old wing chun sifu, who was a little guy... You'll understand pretty quickly what I mean.

Their schemes are designed to use confusion and misdirection against the defense. It uses their strengths against them. It's kind of like "hard" verses "soft" martial arts. Hard martial arts like karate use force against force. Soft arts like Wing Chun, Aikido, etc, use the opponent's force and strength to make them unbalanced, and then throw them, or attack in another way.

Play "sticky hands" with my old wing chun sifu, who was a little guy... You'll understand pretty quickly what I mean.

As long as we can contain with our DE/LB and not let them get to the outside we should be fine. Force them into a pass only offense and flip the confusion to them. I really doubt they will have much luck running between the tackles.:yes:

As long as we can contain with our DE/LB and not let them get to the outside we should be fine. Force them into a pass only offense and flip the confusion to them. I really doubt they will have much luck running between the tackles.:yes:

Our defense has talent on it. It will be practicing all fall against very similar schemes. I'm on record already, saying that I feel as though we have a pretty good shot against the ducks.

:good!:

I made a mistake on the oline part. We can't have a Dline that weighs less than 1000 pounds total. The guy I quoted wants 220 DE's and 250 pound DT. Even a slim line would pound us.

I made a mistake on the oline part. We can't have a Dline that weighs less than 1000 pounds total. The guy I quoted wants 220 DE's and 250 pound DT. Even a slim line would pound us.

IMO DE's should be 250-270 and DT's anything bigger than that. I like the fact that we got McCullars down to 350 lbs and faster. We have Carr coming in and already bulked up to 285 lbs. I think he will start off playing some DE but will eventually move inside to DT. I believe this new conditioning coach will improve speed and strength on defense.

VN Store

Back