What do you REALISTICALLY hope to see this Saturday?

I expect to see a well coached football team play Oregon on Saturday. I expect to see a well designed game plan against the Ducks on both sides of the ball. I expect to see 100% effort from the guys in orange. I expect to see these things because that is what I have witnessed from this team so far. Win or lose, the Ducks are going to know they have been in a war when the game is done. I didn't see fear in Jones' eyes at the press conference. No my friends, what I saw was excitement on the face of Butch Jones. a confident smirk. Butch Jones isn't intimidated, and neither are his Vols. I think Butch Jones and this team turn this into a brawl on Oregon's home turf. I for one wouldn't like to get into a brawl with Big Dan and his crew. Look for the Vols to be violently disruptive, and create their new identity on Saturday, possibly beating a win out in Eugene.

Reactions: 1 person
Hold the Ducks under 40 pts, dominate their D line, string together long drives with the running game, and minimize their TOP.

I think it's very unlikely that we win, but a "moral" victory here will be good for the team. Just can't afford to get blown out.

Minimizing Oregon's TOP is the last thing we want to happen! If the ducks aren't scoring QUICKLY, then they have been taken out of their comfort zone. This plays into our hands and gives us the edge to pull off an upset. Making their offense stay on the field and eat up the clock is what we should want. Then, we pound it at them all night and eat the clock as well. Taking away the big play is our chance. If its a low scoring game I honestly think we have a shot, but if we play their game and it becomes an offensive shoot out.......I'm afraid it will be a long day for us. Realistically, staying in the game until late would be a victory at this point IMO. Win or lose, if cbj and company keep it close (14 or less) then ill be proud. Gonna be tough, gotta play a perfect game and get a few breaks to pull one over on the ducks this year. They're pretty darn special.

Come on guys, don't feed the trolls. Of course we all want to win and if we do it would be amazing, it would be one of the biggest wins in program history right up there with the miracle at south bend and the national championship, but I have seen nothing to indicate that we belong in a conversation about a potential upset. That doesn't mean I don't believe in this staff and what they are doing, but you can't expect them to turn a 5-7 team into a 10 win team overnight. Watch the game, have fun and remember that in a couple of years that talent gap is gonna close up pretty tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Minimizing Oregon's TOP is the last thing we want to happen! If the ducks aren't scoring QUICKLY, then they have been taken out of their comfort zone. This plays into our hands and gives us the edge to pull off an upset. Making their offense stay on the field and eat up the clock is what we should want. Then, we pound it at them all night and eat the clock as well. Taking away the big play is our chance. If its a low scoring game I honestly think we have a shot, but if we play their game and it becomes an offensive shoot out.......I'm afraid it will be a long day for us. Realistically, staying in the game until late would be a victory at this point IMO. Win or lose, if cbj and company keep it close (14 or less) then ill be proud. Gonna be tough, gotta play a perfect game and get a few breaks to pull one over on the ducks this year. They're pretty darn special.

Agreed This is an excellent assessment imo. I think Butch Jones and the Vols turn this into an ugly game for the Ducks. Look for the Vols to bend but not break. Keeping the Ducks offense on the field and forcing them to be patient will play into our hands. The longer it takes them to score, the more opportunities we have to disrupt, and frustrate their offense hopefully creating some turnovers.

Last edited:
I just hope one day we as fans stop feeding the numerous trolls on this website....

Although it is pretty sweet that he's essentially the guy from the Dr. Pepper 10 commercial.....and makes sure to mention it 10 times per page.

Did I mention I'm a astronaut? (Don't worry I'll say it 5 more times before this thread is done)

Agreed This is an excellent assessment imo. I think Butch Jones and the Vols turn this into an ugly game for the Ducks. Look for the Vols to bend but not break. Keeping the Ducks offense on the field and forcing them to be patient will play into our hands. The longer it takes them to score, the more opportunities we have to disrupt, and frustrate their offense hopefully creating some turnovers.

when has the offense being on the field more ever been a bad thing? the goal for tennessee should be to have 3 9 minute drives each half and make oregon go 3 and out 3 times. obviously that would be ideal and super super unlikely. but that should still be the goal. the goal of this game for us needs to be to run the ball. control the clock. and minimize the number of possessions. when oregon doesnt get the number of possessions they like is when their offense struggles. they rely heavily on speed and both physical and mental endurance. yes not giving up homerun plays is huge. but the longer our defense is on the field, the more opportunities the oregon offense has to "hit homeruns."

Last edited:
i am not sure if you and skoal are serious. when has the offense being on the field more ever been a bad thing? the goal for tennessee should be to have 3 9 minute drives each half and make oregon go 3 and out 3 times. obviously that would be ideal and unlikely. but that should still be the goal. the goal of this game for us needs to be to run the ball. control the clock. and minimize the number of possessions. when oregon doesnt get the number of possessions they like is when their offense struggles. they rely heavily on speed and both physical and mental endurance. yes not giving up homerun plays is huge. but the longer our defense is on the field, the more opportunities the oregon offense has to "hit homeruns." either you guys aren't serious or you both have no idea how football works.

What you have said would be a best case scenario. I'm not sure a defensive coordinator can realistically scheme a defense to get Oregon to consistently go 3 and out. But I hope you are right. I for one will not be expecting a lot of blitzes from the Vols. I am also by no means a defensive coordinator. It will be interesting to see how Butch Jones and company plan and execute this next challenge.

What you have said would be a best case scenario. I'm not sure a defensive coordinator can realistically scheme a defense to get Oregon to consistently go 3 and out. But I hope you are right. I for one will not be expecting a lot of blitzes from the Vols. I am also by no means a defensive coordinator. It will be interesting to see how Butch Jones and company plan and execute this next challenge.

obviously that is an exaggerated perfect scenario. honestly i think the game relies more on our offense keeping the defense off of the field than anything. we cannot afford to go 3 and out and/or give the ducks a short field or they will punish us over and over.

and sorry i sounded like an ass. i misread your post the first time.

This thread...

55gtc.gif

Come on guys, don't feed the trolls. Of course we all want to win and if we do it would be amazing, it would be one of the biggest wins in program history right up there with the miracle at south bend and the national championship, but I have seen nothing to indicate that we belong in a conversation about a potential upset. That doesn't mean I don't believe in this staff and what they are doing, but you can't expect them to turn a 5-7 team into a 10 win team overnight. Watch the game, have fun and remember that in a couple of years that talent gap is gonna close up pretty tight.

+1

Staying competitive.

I can see a well coached team hanging close with a Bama, LSU, UGA, etc. But Oregon is a different type of beast. I don't consider them to be better than the 3 schools mentioned above but they play a style that can make things look ugly in a hurry.

The difference in speed is a huge concern.
I totally agree. AJ Johnson is a good at tackles but is the slowest linebacker I have ever saw he is lucky to run a 5.1. never make it in the NFL .I cannot believe some people on here have compared him with AL WILSON not even close.

Portlandduck is making all duck fans look like *******s. I apologize. I think it will be a competitive game, but the ducks will have too much talent for the vols.

Not jelly at all. We won our BCS Championship game.

That's right. Remember this people.....it is the Alabama's, Georgia's, and LSU's that copied Tennessee's Personnell to win championships. 1. Strong in the trenches 2. Consistent QB play 3. 2 strong RB's 4. Fast LB's 5. Great Safeties

UMMM. Maybe we need to get back to that?????

Recalling that day when Vols beat Bama & the Bear in Knoxville, one of the biggest upsets in UT history. Hey, dreams like that are what makes college football great.

Should've stopped after the bold part.

In no way, shape, or form will this game be anywhere near the magnitued of the Miracle or the 98 National championship....I'm guessing you meant 98. This is a big game against a ranked opp....one of several this year.

McCullers - it's time
Maggitt - return to form
Jacques Smith - ditto
Oline and Lane - rough them up and wear them down.
Coaching staff - throw the kitchen sink at them and keep the team fighting til the end.

I just want on Sunday the Oregon players to wake up sore as a motherf**ker and know that even though they may have gotten a W; they just got run the hell over by a big Orange truck continuously for 60 minutes.

I just want on Sunday the Oregon players to wake up sore as a motherf**ker and know that even though they may have gotten a W; they just got run the hell over by a big Orange truck continuously for 60 minutes.

"may"...I like that.

Good post scott

I'm traveling to the game, and I wouldn't be if I didn't think we had a shot at winning. That being said, as cliche as it sounds, if we play hard for 4 quarters (we could only muster a half under the last regime) and still lose... I'll be proud of this team. We are Tennessee. We shouldn't be 25 point underdogs to anyone. I hope we prove that Saturday.

VN Store

Back