What do you think about losing Florida?

How will you feel if we dropped the Gators each year?

• Total voters
A highlight of every year is watching Muschump act like a clown. Can't wait to see it when we start beating them

Especially if you're an unemployed "congressman" with to much time on your hands?

be careful. i know people at the irs. you've seen what they've been doing lately.

i can make a phone call.

i'm tight with the people who are "not responsible".

know what i'm sayin.

Effectiveness is a function of talent + coaching.

I think we have often been out-coached during this span, even in years where we fielded comparable talent.

See: Manning, Peyton.

However, I say this not to dump on our coaches. We had very good coaches. They had Spurrier, who is in my estimation the best coach of his generation.

Here's a what if: Does anyone doubt that had Spurrier been Tennessee's coach for the same time-span as Fulmer that we would have won more National Championships?

Of course, this scenario would be denying a key rival their greatest coach, so the answer is pretty easy and sort of rigged to make my point.

I also believe that the Fulmer/Cutcliffe/Chavis unit would have had incredible success at Florida - winning one title at the very least.

To the OP: we can't afford to lose Florida unless we start playing another Florida-based team. That recruiting ground is so important.

Let's look at the UT teams since Fulmer took over full-time in 1993 and which of those teams could have competed for a NC and who actually won it:

1993- UT but keep in mind there was no BCS back then so UT would have most likely played WVU while FSU & Nebraska played in the OB.

1995- UT wouldn't have beaten Neb.

1996- UT could have beaten FSU

1997- See 1995

1998- UT won the BCS

1999- A Spurrier coached UT team gets a rematch with FSU

2001- A Spurrier coached UT team doesn't let LSU beat them in the SECCG. Could UT have beaten Miami?

2003- With UF down, a Spurrier coached UT team would have needed to beat UGA, Auburn, & LSU to play Oklahoma or USC.

2004- UT was good but not good enough to hang with USC

2006- A Spurrier coached UT team beat UF in Knoxville. Spurrier always has a backup QB ready to go so I think they beat LSU and go into Ark undefeated.

2007- UT was better in '06.

IMO, UT would have been in the middle of the discussion in 1993, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2003, & 2006.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't care any more. It has been way too close to a decade since UT won that game. I don't believe it should be removed from the schedule for any reason, even though it could be if we go to a 16 team conference. But it is just another yearly loss now. Captain Foreskin brought the end of my enjoyment of this series in any way.

would rather play LSU every season -- but division games are mandatory so - why was this even a poll ?

Thread because we are suffering from post Spring practice GBO?

GBO = Generalized Boredom during Offseason.

My doctor prescribes watching Peyton Manning highlights with a large dose of Jack Daniels administered at regular intervals until symptoms subside, which usually takes until August/September.

Commenting in Volnation threads about theoretical games or series played or not played in the future is a key symptom of GBO.

Last edited:
Let me clarify. I understand the Gators are on the eastern side of the division and unless the SEC changed to a Northern and Southern division or realize that Florida is actually part of Cuba and should no longer be a part of the U.S. then this will not happen. This is just for the sole purpose of how you would feel if you had a choice to keep the Gators or pick up different opposition (like Florida moving to ACC and the SEC pickup up some other scrub) to replace them.

Miami is akin to Cuba, Gainesville is akin to Mississippi Burning

Reactions: 1 person
here is my post on the gator website and the voting. actual votes are in parentheses. percentage of the vote is also listed. original post is bolded. poll question is in red. thread was started at around 8 AM today.

the poll is being conducted under the premise of "would you be angry if the florida tennessee game was no longer played on annual basis?"

so, forget the logistics of this happening or the actual possibility of this happening. pretend a circumstance occurred where the possibility of florida playing tennessee on an annual basis was threatened and it was decided that florida and tennessee were no longer going to play each other every year.

the poll question.....

would you be upset if florida tennessee wasn't an annual game?

yes, i think it's great and do not want it to end. (51) 45.54%

no, it wouldn't bother me. it's not a big deal (33) 29.46%

i would give it up in order to renew the florida auburn game on annual basis (28) 25%

Last edited:
I understand, but words have meaning.

I would have phrased it.....

Would you be angry if the Florida Tennessee game was no longer played on an annual basis?

Could not care less if we drop Florida. I do wish Auburn, Alabama & Georgia were every year traditional games. LSU & the Mississippi schools could rotate from year to year. A&M too.

[like Georgia]you do.

you play florida, south carolina, missouri, kentucky, and vanderbilt every year now.

and you play each other.
They also get GTech annually which is a lose-lose proposition for them and in 2013 Clemson. Richt has heard the criticism but waited until he had built the program to its present state of consistently high quality football players.

I prayed to God that they would fire him after the Boise State loss.

Could not care less if we drop Florida. I do wish Auburn, Alabama & Georgia were every year traditional games. LSU & the Mississippi schools could rotate from year to year. A&M too.

That's where I thought the majority would stand

here is my post on the gator website and the voting. actual votes are in parentheses. percentage of the vote is also listed. original post is bolded. poll question is in red. thread was started at around 8 AM today.

the poll is being conducted under the premise of "would you be angry if the florida tennessee game was no longer played on annual basis?"

so, forget the logistics of this happening or the actual possibility of this happening. pretend a circumstance occurred where the possibility of florida playing tennessee on an annual basis was threatened and it was decided that florida and tennessee were no longer going to play each other every year.

the poll question.....

would you be upset if florida tennessee wasn't an annual game?

yes, i think it's great and do not want it to end. (25) 41%

no, it wouldn't bother me. it's not a big deal (19) 31%

i would give it up in order to renew the florida auburn game on annual basis (17) 28%

In fairness 99, how would the numbers compare if the poll on VN had included your option #3...kinda skews the numbers a bit. Not being an a$$, just comparing the two...

In fairness 99, how would the numbers compare if the poll on VN had included your option #3...kinda skews the numbers a bit. Not being an a$$, just comparing the two...

I stated very early in this thread that I did not like the way this poll was written.

I stated that I didn't think Tennessee folks would care too much about not playing Florida annually in another thread

Last edited:
Since I joined, it became clear that in order to be a "good vol fan", I needed to despise Florida. I've played along since.

After you boys escaped Kyle last year, Florida is getting higher on my "I hate em" list.

With that being said, ya'll have played longer and its been good to watch. Like I said, you gotta play em IMO.

What's up with all this nonsense about dropping our rivals? First Alabama, now Florida. If you want endless wins against an easy schedule, go join the Boise State fan club.

Well now I know who the pussies are...

11thCAVVOL, 508mikey, 77' Vol, BornOrange33, Defaultuser, eastnvol, Groundhog, jackaro, kiloVOLt, mscox75, nebraskavolunteer, Orange Swagger, OrangeDust, Orlando Vol, oz615, photovol, rockyknob, slewfoot, tbcollier21, tennezz, tnlizard, TNRazor, UGADawg4Life, volguru, volnal

Well now I know who the pussies are...

11thCAVVOL, 508mikey, 77' Vol, BornOrange33, Defaultuser, eastnvol, Groundhog, jackaro, kiloVOLt, mscox75, nebraskavolunteer, Orange Swagger, OrangeDust, Orlando Vol, oz615, photovol, rockyknob, slewfoot, tbcollier21, tennezz, tnlizard, TNRazor, UGADawg4Life, volguru, volnal

That's not supposed to be the real idea about the poll.

The question was meant (at least what I was trying to convey), do you consider the Florida Tennessee game to be a game that you want played annually because it has special meaning for you.

So, as an example, for me the answer is no. If Florida Tennessee was not played annually, it would not bother me and I damn sure am not afraid to play Tennessee

I do not take a "no" answer as an answer based on fear

Reactions: 2 people
I stated very early in this thread that I did not like the way this poll was written.

I stated that I didn't think Tennessee folks would care too much about not playing Florida annually in another thread

I get your point, and agree about the wording of the original poll. It's just hard to compare a "yes/no" poll with a "yes/no/other" poll...more options dilute the # of votes for each.

Also, your post in the other thread (at least the one I read) only stated it should be worded (paraphrasing) would you or would you not be upset if the Tennessee/Florida game were no longer played on an annual basis...no "option C".

It's splitting hairs in a sense, but the option "c" on one poll seems to lend itself to spread votes out over more options...thus fewer "yes, keep the rivalry" votes makes it look less important to one side or the other. Not saying this is your intention, just looking at apples/apples type of thing.

I get your point, and agree about the wording of the original poll. It's just hard to compare a "yes/no" poll with a "yes/no/other" poll...more options dilute the # of votes for each.

Also, your post in the other thread (at least the one I read) only stated it should be worded (paraphrasing) would you or would you not be upset if the Tennessee/Florida game were no longer played on an annual basis...no "option C".

It's splitting hairs in a sense, but the option "c" on one poll seems to lend itself to spread votes out over more options...thus fewer "yes, keep the rivalry" votes makes it look less important to one side or the other. Not saying this is your intention, just looking at apples/apples type of thing.

I included the Auburn option, because I specifically said in that thread that I would exchange Tennessee for auburn in a heart beat.

So, I was trying to show that this idea was not "crazy" among gator fans

VN Store

Back