What Other Message Boards Are Saying (Kent State Pre Game Edition)

I feel sorry for our fans, their fans, their team...we should not be playing teams like this
For years, I was relieved when we entered these weeks where I could just know we would win Saturday and I wouldn’t even have to think about scenarios where we could pull off a win. Now, I guess I should be glad for that very sentiment you just expressed; but these games are a bit…boring. Shoot, in our season opener, I went out and mowed the yard at the beginning of the second quarter.

A Kent State fan asking for directions to Neyland....
blindfolded-man-awaits-the-firing-squad-smoking-his-last-cigarette.jpg

I’m trying to figure out why dude bought 16 tickets
It’s an Ohio thing. Anytime someone from Ohio drives a decent amount in a southern direction they are required to travel w/ 12-20 of their closest family and friends. In most cases the trip results in them ending up in the Myrtle Beach/Grand Strand Area.

I don’t know exactly but the 2025 schedule is already set and 2026 OOC is too so you can bet at least a couple of years.

Kent State won their division in 2021 and played for the MAC championship and won their first ever bowl game then.

But their coach moved on to bigger things in 2022 and their best players transferred out too
I don't remember either when they were scheduled either. You seem to know a bit about them that's why I asked. Sean Lewis left for Colorado job, only to leave there after a year.

Looking at 21 they finished 7-7 losing the MAC C to NUI and lost to Wyoming in their bowl. In the last 10 year their best finish was 2019 7-6.

They went 11-3 in 2012 simply because they were playing mostly teams on their level. That's great for them and their fans. But I see no value for them to play teams that are simply out of their league where they have no chance of winning.

Kent State was a decent team when this was scheduled. They played in a bowl a few years ago. I do not have a clue how they have fallen this far this fast.

The MAC is so up-and-down. You get good teams every once in a while but 3-4 years later they get bad. Northern Illinois is getting the hype now (I reminded people they had a team make a BCS Bowl in the distant past and beat Alabama as people had forgotten that). Miami of Ohio had a run (The Steelers long-time QB, Ben Rothleisberger played for Miami of Ohio), Ohio had a run, and Toledo had good teams in the past.

I don't remember either when they were scheduled either. You seem to know a bit about them that's why I asked. Sean Lewis left for Colorado job, only to leave there after a year.

Looking at 21 they finished 7-7 losing the MAC C to NUI and lost to Wyoming in their bowl. In the last 10 year their best finish was 2019 7-6.

They went 11-3 in 2012 simply because they were playing mostly teams on their level. That's great for them and their fans. But I see no value for them to play teams that are simply out of their league where they have no chance of winning.

Like I said, 2019-2022 they had a good coach (for a MAC school) and were doing well (for a MAC school)

They were never going to be an opponent that we were supposed to lose to but we still had Pruitt in 2020 so take that for what you will. Need I mention a certain team from Georgia….

I’m just saying they weren’t this bad a few years ago when we likely scheduled this game.

Reactions: WillisWG
True but those schools desperately reley on these games. That money pays their athletic budgets for the year. The players, coaches, administrations, and fans know and understand it. All of those schools confrences doesn't hold it against them wither in determining final rankings. Its neccessary for teh big boys too. It gives our 2nd & 3rd string players valuable live experience that they normally would not have until needed for an injury replacement. Its valuable experience fro the lower level players and a chance to show what they can do against upper tier talent and hopefully thay can move up via the transfer portal.
Not always. Sure, Power 5 schools pay UP TO $2mil for a team to come in for a bad day. But, sometimes they screw the school over. UGA only payed Tennessee Tech $550K for their game. That's shameful. Probably more shameful the Tech agreed to only $550K. TnTech only schedules one of htese games per season for abvious reasons. Typically the payout for that game covers the entire athletic budget for the year.

These FCS schools, and smaller MAC type FBS schools make ZERO money on any sport. Ticket sales are non existent even for football. TnTech tickets are $10 just to get fans to show up. Play alot of thursday games cause on Saturday everyone is in knoxville. tickets to baseball games are free, as are all sporting games except football and basketball.

These games must always exist. Power 4 athletes are not the only ones in college sports.

Hopefully we actually do pull the starters after one quarter and let the backups play the whole time. It’s the last time until late November that a lot of them will have a chance to see the field.

And then let the walkons play the entire fourth quarter. This’ll be their only chance all year to get snaps.
We want Shuler !!!!

Considering that the only way we could improve our rankings outside of the SEC would be to play Ohio State... yeah, any break from the SEC Pound-a-rama is good.

Every Kent State fan in Neyland should hear a VFL offer to take them out to Gus's after the game.
That's actually a really nice idea. Show the fans that we aren't all evil and stupid, and thank them for coming

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kent State was a decent team when this was scheduled. They played in a bowl a few years ago. I do not have a clue how they have fallen this far this fast.
Well, it happened when they started losing more games than they won.

Reactions: GVF

Sean Lewis jumped onto the Prime train and then got "canned" after a year at Colorado. He is at San Diego State now. They never played defense but played an offensive tempo as fast as Tennessee. I used to watch most Kent State games. They were fun to watch on offense.

For years, I was relieved when we entered these weeks where I could just know we would win Saturday and I wouldn’t even have to think about scenarios where we could pull off a win. Now, I guess I should be glad for that very sentiment you just expressed; but these games are a bit…boring. Shoot, in our season opener, I went out and mowed the yard at the beginning of the second quarter.
We need to get the "starters' off the field ASAP. Time to get experience for the young guys who will be needed later in the year.

VN Store

Back