What Other Message Boards Are Saying (Kent State Pre Game Edition)

playing #133 does nothing but hurt your sos, absolutely no value

The 12 teams that compete in the College Football Playoff are determined by the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. The selection committee chooses the 12 teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results against common opponents, championships won and other factors
Last I heard we had the 8th hardest schedule in the nation. That means our schedule is plenty tough and we don't need to add more ranked teams to try and increase SOS. We could back it down about 20 spots and still have a legit schedule.

Akron 2022. Lost Cedric Tillman for the season in a 63-6 Vol W over a Akron team ranked #130. Injuries happen but to lose Ced in a game against a #130 opponent isn't like losing him if you're playing a T60 team.

Now we have Kent #133 up in a game where I see absolutely no value. I don't like these types of opponents whatsoever. It would be OK with me if we never played a FCS or a FBS ranked out of T60 ever again.

Play the starters for 1Q, season ticket holders would be pissed, drive all that way then there's no Sampson, no Nico, no Pearce that's BS.

The CFP Committee considers Strength of Schedule in their rankings. Imagine getting passed over for the 12-T because the other teams SOS was better because we #133. No thanks. Schedule better opponents,

PRINCIPLES

The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
  • Strength of schedule,
  • Head-to-head competition,
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
  • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
I get your point but our strength of schedule right now is what? There’s no way we’re getting passed over on SOS imo. As far as injuries, I mean you have season ending injuries in practice sometimes.

Get a few snaps for your starters then let the young guys get some experience. We’ve got a couple of place we need to try some guys anyways. Treat like a semi bye week, get healthy and be ready to kick butt the rest of the season.

Last I heard we had the 8th hardest schedule in the nation. That means our schedule is plenty tough and we don't need to add more ranked teams to try and increase SOS. We could back it down about 20 spots and still have a legit schedule.

Almost every SEC teams plays a T10 SOS. Started a 8th now have a remaining SOS ranked 10th according to ESPN FPI Resume. We have a legit schedule but then so does the resting of the SEC who will be in the at-large hunt. SOS isn't static. it moves on your opponents strength of record. UK L, MSU L and Arkansas L moved our SOS, if it gets ugly for UF, UK, MSU and Arky it could open at-large door wider for Ole Miss, Missouri and Texas.

And I wasn't saying add another T25 opponent to the schedule just stop playing team at the bottom. Today FPI has Kent as #134 which is the bottom of the damn barrel. Playing any team ranked between 50-80 helps supports your SOS but playing 100 and below not so much. jmo

ESPN's Football Power Index ranked Tennessee as the No. 9 team in college football, but they also had the Vols with the No. 8 toughest strength of schedule. Florida, Mississippi State, Georgia, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, and Oklahoma came in ahead of Tennessee, highlighting how difficult it is to play in the SEC.

1725916404444.png

Almost every SEC teams plays a T10 SOS. Started a 8th now have a remaining SOS ranked 10th according to ESPN FPI Resume. We have a legit schedule but then so does the resting of the SEC who will be in the at-large hunt. SOS isn't static. it moves on your opponents strength of record. UK L, MSU L and Arkansas L moved our SOS, if it gets ugly for UF, UK, MSU and Arky it could open at-large door wider for Ole Miss, Missouri and Texas.

And I wasn't saying add another T25 opponent to the schedule just stop playing team at the bottom. Today FPI has Kent as #134 which is the bottom of the damn barrel. Playing any team ranked between 50-80 helps supports your SOS but playing 100 and below not so much. jmo

ESPN's Football Power Index ranked Tennessee as the No. 9 team in college football, but they also had the Vols with the No. 8 toughest strength of schedule. Florida, Mississippi State, Georgia, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, and Oklahoma came in ahead of Tennessee, highlighting how difficult it is to play in the SEC.

View attachment 675126
We will have a better SOS than our main SEC competition for at large spots, Ole Miss and Missouri. The other SEC competitors, Oklahoma and Alabama, we play. We should be in if we can take 1 of the 3 of Oklahoma, Georgia, and Bama as long as there isn't an upset with another team.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
They need the cash and we need the practice
Let them get their cash somewhere else. I fail to see any value in playing a Q4 teams, especially one ranked #134 in FPI. Iron sharpens iron and Kent State ain't iron...more like aluminum. Want to get ready for SEC play then play a Q2 or Q3 team, at least they don't drive your sor/sos down.
jmo

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I have 5 extra lower level tickets in Section A. If interested please call or text at 901.606.1998 - Thanks Dan

And yes, Kent State does have a message board. Not many of us on there. Maybe 20-25 people that post "fairly regularly".

Let them get their cash somewhere else. I fail to see any value in playing a Q4 teams, especially one ranked #134 in FPI. Iron sharpens iron and Kent State ain't iron...more like aluminum. Want to get ready for SEC play then play a Q2 or Q3 team, at least they don't drive your sor/sos down.
jmo

What you talking bout willis?

Was once behind a car from Ohio in Cades Cove. At every tree that was by itself, they would stop and take a picture of it. My dad told me they didn't have many trees up there.

Why in the hell did we schedule this? If you gotta play these sorts of teams, at least keep it in the area, preferably in the state of Tennessee. Let the Big Ten schedule these MAC schools

We already have played one FCS team this year (Chatt) so couldn't add another. Other than MTSU, no other in state patsy to schedule....

VN Store

Back