What other message boards are saying (NC State Pre Game Edition)

There are likely two things that happened to make NC State ride the struggle bus and I don't know if either are true but are typical of these early games:

1. NC State has been practicing against Tenn. throughout camp and did a install of WKU that was late and vanilla. Explains a lot of the execution errors.
2. They are not as dialed as they will be with new QB and needed to gel a bit. Remicient of our struggles against UF in the mid to late 90s when we would have beaten them soundly later in the season

I believe we win this game by at least a couple of scores if we execute well but they are coming to play. NC State will show up ready to play and the early going will tell if this is a close one or a blowout. If we get up big early and keep the gas down it could be a nice win that bolsters our team's confidence. If we let them stay in it, play sloppy or make mistakes this game will be tight to the wire.

GBO!
I think game planning for WKU was probably the biggest issue.

I can’t find the tweet now, but the state fans are mad. They think we’re cocky and not taking them seriously, saying we’re the most toxic fanbase. Mmmk, well let me explain something. For yearssss we’ve been kicked down and trashed by other fanbases unprovoked. We were THE laughing stock, so respectfully, everyone else can frick all the way off. Vols against the world baby!

Hmm, toxic. I don't think so. I think we are a proud fan base, with newfound reason to express that pride, and I don't think we back down from a fight. Like. Ever.

So that probably seems toxic to someone waltzing into these boards from another place. Particularly those who come in swinging, like a couple of the Oklahoma fans did.

But the Wolfpack fans have been pretty level-headed and respectful here, and I think have gotten mostly level-headed and respectful responses. Confident responses, sure, but still respectful. There's always gonna be some "by fiddy!" comebacks, that's just life among an opposing fan base

I guarantee you if we went to their boards, we'd get some of the same. A mix of respectful conversation and irrational, in-your-face responses.

*shrug* Anyone interpreting that as "toxic" is just going for the victimhood gambit. Overplaying it.

I still like NC State and its fans. Good people, good school. WGWTFA. Go Vols!

Hmm, toxic. I don't think so. I think we are a proud fan base, with newfound reason to express that pride, and I don't think we back down from a fight. Like. Ever.

So that probably seems toxic to someone waltzing into these boards from another place. Particularly those who come in swinging, like a couple of the Oklahoma fans did.

But the Wolfpack fans have been pretty level-headed and respectful here, and I think have gotten mostly level-headed and respectful responses. Confident responses, sure, but still respectful. There's always gonna be some "by fiddy!" comebacks, that's just life among an opposing fan base

I guarantee you if we went to their boards, we'd get some of the same. A mix of respectful conversation and irrational, in-your-face responses.

*shrug* Anyone interpreting that as "toxic" is just going for the victimhood gambit. Overplaying it.

I still like NC State and its fans. Good people, good school. WGWTFA. Go Vols!
Oh the state fans in here have been respectful, I have no beef with them. I’m talking about the Twitter ones. The ironic thing about it is they were the ones to come off guns blazing. Like you said tho, we don’t and won’t back down. 😤

I can’t find the tweet now, but the state fans are mad. They think we’re cocky and not taking them seriously, saying we’re the most toxic fanbase. Mmmk, well let me explain something. For yearssss we’ve been kicked down and trashed by other fanbases unprovoked. We were THE laughing stock, so respectfully, everyone else can frick all the way off. Vols against the world baby!
Strange they call us toxic but I’ve seen a couple posts on their board saying they should injure Nico. Can’t recall anyone here saying something like that.

As A State fan I will categorically say that anyone hoping/asking/expecting to injure another player is trash and not someone I want representing my alma mater. It's just freaking football.

Tennessee is favored by a lot (they should be). State looked awful in the season opener against an inferior squad making the outlook (from an NCSU perspective) worse.

NCSU has some really nice offensive pieces and with some lucky bounces can make this a very entertaining game

Guess we're gonna know by about midnight Saturday which one of us was correct
Pretty strange to wait on the outcome to prove a point. A fan that has to what if their way through an analysis to try to prove a point is a lower tier fan and cannot see the writing on the way. Bookies don't what if their way through an analysis. Fans should not either.

Last edited:
Kentucky tried that in 2022.
Stoops and Doeren are very similar in coaching style and philosophy, which is why I think we win, but whoever dictates tempo will have the upper hand . If we can score quickly and get off the field on 3rd down better than we have in the past we will be fine. If State grinds this out, extends drives for 7-8 minutes we could see a game into the fourth quarter.

Stoops and Doeren are very similar in coaching style and philosophy, which is why I think we win, but whoever dictates tempo will have the upper hand . If we can score quickly and get off the field on 3rd down better than we have in the past we will be fine. If State grinds this out, extends drives for 7-8 minutes we could see a game into the fourth quarter.
It isn't just time of possession, of course, you have to end those drives with touchdowns. We almost always lose the time of possession battle, but win the points per possession battle. Probably the funniest instance of this was 2021 at Kentucky, where we lost the TOP battle by 32 minutes and still won the game, largely because of Alontae Taylor's pick-six.

Hopefully that doesn't happen. If NC State has long drives of 7-8 min throughout the game, then that means they are running the ball well and whipping our D Line. I don't expect our defensive front to get manhandled though.

Last edited:
As A State fan I will categorically say that anyone hoping/asking/expecting to injure another player is trash and not someone I want representing my alma mater. It's just freaking football.

Tennessee is favored by a lot (they should be). State looked awful in the season opener against an inferior squad making the outlook (from an NCSU perspective) worse.

NCSU has some really nice offensive pieces and with some lucky bounces can make this a very entertaining game
I hope our worst Vols fans have a smattering of your class.

It isn't just time of possession, of course, you have to end those drives with touchdowns. We almost always lose the time of possession battle, but win the points per possession battle. Probably the funniest instance of this was 2021 at Kentucky, where we lost the TOP battle by 32 minutes and still won the game, largely because of Alontae Taylor's pick-six.
I agree that they and we need to finish drives in the red zone. I’m sure State will do everything they can to keep everything in front of them, I’m cautiously optimistic that we much improved over last years TD% in the RZ.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hopefully that doesn't happen. If NC State has long drives of 7-8 min throughout the game, then that means they are running they ball well and whipping our D Line. I don't expect our defensive front to get manhandled though.
I think Heupel is adjusting his scheme to deal with situations like this. I don't like all the various ways he handles it, someone being "injured" after every FG or PAT, but he is adjusting. but I think you will see him slow down the offense if we are going 3 and out, and they are successfully milking the clock. we started it last year, and while it was in the 3rd quarter, with a big lead, and the back ups, we also did it against Chattanooga.

I think Heupel is adjusting his scheme to deal with situations like this. I don't like all the various ways he handles it, someone being "injured" after every FG or PAT, but he is adjusting. but I think you will see him slow down the offense if we are going 3 and out, and they are successfully milking the clock. we started it last year, and while it was in the 3rd quarter, with a big lead, and the back ups, we also did it against Chattanooga.
UT's third down defense needs to take a huge step in the right direction this year. Everyone including myself keeps talking about how deep UT is in the front 7 along with this being Heup's best roster yet. That is the biggest question for me. Personally, I think we have too many dudes for NC state's OL to deal with. We should have a big edge there.

Their coach gives off Butch Jones vibes.
Earlier in the week the spread was UT -7.5. If I were a betting man I'd have bet the mortgage on us covering.
A timeline exists where Nico plays like a freshman and everyone else craps the bed and we lose. I don't think it's this timeline though.
NC St. is a quality ACC team, I just think we smoke them. If we lose the VN meltdown will be way more entertaining than the game.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Why would Michigan give our signals to South Carolina? How did it benefit Michigan?

And when did Michigan scout us to steal our signals?
I think Michigan would have a vested interest in a Vols loss to keep us out of the playoffs. At the time, both of us were in the playoff conversations. As to how and when Michigan had the opportunity to do it, I have no clue.

Almost always lose time of possession? Has a Heupel team ever come out ahead on it? UTC won the time of possession last weekend while being outscored by 66 points and having over 500 yards less in total offense.

The thing about ball control offenses is they have to get first downs. Don't give up 1st downs and it's a loss of control.

Their coach gives off Butch Jones vibes.
Earlier in the week the spread was UT -7.5. If I were a betting man I'd have bet the mortgage on us covering.
A timeline exists where Nico plays like a freshman and everyone else craps the bed and we lose. I don't think it's this timeline though.
NC St. is a quality ACC team, I just think we smoke them. If we lose the VN meltdown will be way more entertaining than the game.
Ironically, he was offered the job after Butch Jones was fired and initially accepted, but after the Schiano debacle and the vitriol all over social media aimed at him, he decided to stay at NC State.

Hamilton, Hart and the dork that followed him sure had a type of candidate they were attracted to.

Almost always lose time of possession? Has a Heupel team ever come out ahead on it? UTC won the time of possession last weekend while being outscored by 66 points and having over 500 yards less in total offense.

The thing about ball control offenses is they have to get first downs. Don't give up 1st downs and it's a loss of control.

Iowa and LSU.

Still, with the way Heupel is recruiting quarterbacks and the way that southern football gets media attention now unlike the first several decades of our history, it feels like it might just be a matter of time. I understand why our fanbase is so jaded in that regard with Majors and Manning both getting jipped, but Hendon wasn’t far away from being in the top four, and that was Heupel’s second season. If things keep trending in the same direction, it’s not hard to imagine Nico, Macintyre, or Brandon winning the darn thing.
Yeah you could be right. I don't really care anymore about individual accolades in a team sport. Go VOLS... is plural.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back