What was the first Tennessee game that You attended?

1974 I was 10. (Clemson) Holloway pass to Sievers for the 2 point conversion with 1:31 to go. Vols win 29-28.

Houston 1965. UT won 17-8 on 10-23-65. I sat with my Young Highschool band mates in the end zone closest to the river, last row, high as I could get (and this was before drugs). When I returned home they said I a great big smile on my face. My grandfather looked at me and said, "Now you know why your a Tennessee Vol Fan".

Wasn't that the first game after 3 UT coaches had been killed in a train accident?

Does anybody have any pics they could share? There's a lot of history in this thread and I think it'd be cool if we could match some pics with some of the games here.

Here's one I found on Google from UT-VU in 2002.

Attachments

• 74100_JasonBourque.JPG
    74100_JasonBourque.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 77
'tis a little too late to get deeply involved in your research request but youtube is a much better solution than still images. Here is a brief film clip from Bear Bryant's last victory (11-10) over a Dickey-coached team in 1966. Note the early checkerboard endzone and use of home jerseys by both teams. See Alabama vs Tennessee 1966 - YouTube.

I believe somebody mentioned Tennessee's record-setting margin of victory over Vanderbilt (65-0) in 1994. For the vast majority of the telecast of this game, see John Ward - 1994 - Tennessee 65 Vanderbilt 0 - YouTube.

I may very well start an accompanying thread that provides nothing but youtube links to games cited in this thread, but that will require a good night's sleep first.

Reactions: 1 person
The first I remember was Vanderbilt 1987. It was my introduction to the Vandy fan, the level of annoyance of which is rivaled only by mosquitoes buzzing in the ears. To make matters worse, we fell behind 20-3 or so before finally storming back to eke out a victory.

I remember being stuck in traffic on Alcoa Highway on the ride home, and listening to the scoring replay on the radio. John Ward was simply on fire, like a 1930s newsreel narrator who had drunk too much coffee.

Actually, Vandy led 28-3 in that game before we mounted what would become, to this day, the single largest comeback victory in Tennessee football history. (Yes, the "Miracle at South Bend" was far more important but we trailed by only 24 points in that game.) We reeled off five straight touchdowns, mainly, if I recall correctly, by ramming the ball down their throats and ultimately won 38-36.

I was 7 years old. The main thing I remember about that day was my Mother crying after the game was over. I can't count the number of games I've been to since then, but my Mother's reaction after that TN loss is something I'll never forget. My parents were simple God fearing people, Mom never graduated High School. Still don't understand where they found the money to attend all the games on their income. But after that first game, I understood what the TN Volunteers meant to so many people.

I was 7 years old. The main thing I remember about that day was my Mother crying after the game was over. I can't count the number of games I've been to since then, but my Mother's reaction after that TN loss is something I'll never forget. My parents were simple God fearing people, Mom never graduated High School. Still don't understand where they found the money to attend all the games on their income. But after that first game, I understood what the TN Volunteers meant to so many people.
My father and brother went to that game. Usually just one of us would go to a game with him every couple or three years when he got tickets, and could get off work. Both of my parents worked 6 days a week in their own businesses, as my brother and I do now.

My father and brother went to that game. Usually just one of us would go to a game with him every couple or three years when he got tickets, and could get off work. Both of my parents worked 6 days a week in their own businesses, as my brother and I do now.

My Mom worked the counter as a waitress at Regas in the 40's. I'm thinking now she may have made a few contacts over the years there for some free tix. I miss Regas.

My Mom worked the counter as a waitress at Regas in the 40's. I'm thinking now she may have made a few contacts over the years there for some free tix. I miss Regas.
Great place. I took a girlfriend there once for her birthday while I was at U.T., and went 2 or 3 times in later years. I couldn't afford it when I was in school. Probably couldn't now either.

Regas closed in 2010, what a shame, best prime rib I ever had and red velvet cake was topnotch. Wonder what is at the Regas site now? Haven't drove by the area in a couple of years. I always took my ladies to Regas if I thought I would get lucky. If not, it was the Roman Room.

1974 I was 10. (Clemson) Holloway pass to Sievers for the 2 point conversion with 1:31 to go. Vols win 29-28.

I was at that game. I was a freshman at UT and in the Pride of the Southland Band. Incredible play by Holloway to get the ball close to Sievers and a magnificent catch by Sievers! :good!:

Regas closed in 2010, what a shame, best prime rib I ever had and red velvet cake was topnotch. Wonder what is at the Regas site now? Haven't drove by the area in a couple of years. I always took my ladies to Regas if I thought I would get lucky. If not, it was the Roman Room.
Hey George! Two lights. Ah, The Roman Room. George was the bartender back around 1970 era. Drank one or two there myself.

VN Store

Back