What was the first Tennessee game that You attended?

I was lucky enough to see Peyton's last game against Nebraska in the orange bowl in 1998. I was 11 at the time so even though we lost I finally got to see Peyton play live and in orange. It was a brutal game though.

Hey Guys!

Plan on attending my very first Vol game this season

My work has discounts for the following games: Which one should I attend for my first game???

vs Austin Peay - Saturday, August 31, 2013
vs Western Kentucky -Saturday Sept. 7, 2013
vs South Alambama - Saturday, September 28, 2013
vs Vanderbilt - November 23, 2013

Hey Guys!

My work has discounts for the following games: Which one should I attend for my first game???

Vandy most deff.....to witness Butch wipe that b&$@h smirk off Franklins face.

Reactions: 2 people
Hey Guys!

The opener

81 Orange and White, a few years later against the Akron Zips, then vs Arky in Little Rock (W) Arky fans were decent.

Auburn, 1987.

Will never forget it, even though it was a tie. I remember closing my eyes as Auburn was driving and up 20-17 late in the game. I prayed really hard, then heard the crowd roar. I asked my dad what had happened, and he yelled "we got the ball!". I was 8, and a VFL.

Of course, we had a chance on 4th and short at around the 10 to go for it and punch it in, but decided to kick the fg instead. That didn't bother me much then, as we had come back to tie. It was one of those ties that felt like a win.

Funny that Pat Dye criticized Majors for not having the balls to go for it, and yet did the EXACT same thing against Syracuse in the Sugar Bowl later that year.

And to the guy going to his first game, go to the opener. It's always more fun, the ladies are out in their orange sundresses and short shorts tailgating, and enthusiasm is always high as we haven't had football in 9 months.

Vandy could be good, but who knows how this season will go. Could be fighting for a bowl berth again by that point. Not near as fun.

Maybe 1973 ...UT vs. Duke ..Condredge Holloway is QB ..Vols win 21-17 ? ..i'm 10 years old maybe.

1974 vs Alabama (28-6 loss)....I was 11 years old. It was Condredge Holloway's final season at UT, Stanley Morgan was still a halfback and the leading rusher, Larry Sievers was the leading receiver. Bama was ranked #4 and had Richard Todd at qb running the wishbone, with Calvin Culliver leading the team in rushing, and Ozzie Newsome the leading receiver.

My dad was given free tickets from a Bama fan that he worked with, so our seats were in sec A, just a couple of rows behind the Bama band. Aside from the loss, it was a wonderful day, great experience to be in Neyland and watch us take on our main rival, finally able to see my first Vol hero (and still my favorite all time player), Holloway, in person.....but my goodness, did I ever get sick of hearing "Yea, Alabama!"

Last edited:
I was young enough to not remember the opponent but it was early 80's. If I remember right, Alan Cockrell was QB.

1974 vs Alabama (28-6 loss)....I was 11 years old. It was Condredge Holloway's final season at UT, Stanley Morgan was still a halfback and the leading rusher, Larry Sievers was the leading receiver. Bama was ranked #4 and had Richard Todd at qb running the wishbone, with Calvin Culliver leading the team in rushing, and Ozzie Newsome the leading receiver.

My dad was given free tickets from a Bama fan that he worked with, so our seats were in sec A, just a couple of rows behind the Bama band. Aside from the loss, it was a wonderful day, great experience to be in Neyland and watch us take on our main rival, finally able to see my first Vol hero (and still my favorite all time player), Holloway, in person.....but my goodness, did I ever get sick of hearing "Yea, Alabama!"

This was my first game as well. I was then a freshman at UT.

Can't say what my first game was as my dad started taking me to games when I was but a small boy. I do know that Gen. Neyland was coach, there were no upper decks, no lights and the North end zone had real bleachers. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Can't say what my first game was as my dad started taking me to games when I was but a small boy. I do know that Gen. Neyland was coach, there were no upper decks, no lights and the North end zone had real bleachers. :)
I have sat in those bleachers. They used to have a cannon that they would fire after a TD. It was kind of in the gap behind/between the bleachers and the rest of the stadium. You go back a long way, if you saw Neyland coach. Congrats on sticking with us. I'll be on their side till death do us part.

First UT game, late 70's vs Miss St. in Memphis.

First UT game at Neyland, '85 UCLA 26-26 tie after having a 16 pt lead.

Side Note: not a UT game, but growing up in Memphis, a VERY fond memory is being at the Liberty Bowl Stadium in 1987 when Memphis St. beat ALABAMA 13-10!!!
***This is always useful ammo whenever a Bammer fan tries to bring up embarrassing losses in UT history.

In terms of embarrassing losses, you can tack that scalp right next to Memphis' 17-11 victory over Florida on 10/8/88. See Memphis vs Florida 1869-2012. I don't know if Memphis football fans ever had it any better than to knock off the Crimson tidy bowl boys and the Lizard Nation in back-to-back seasons.

Duke @ UT. 1988. UT lost on their way to 6 straight losses. I was 12.

My second game was much better:

UT vs Arky in the 1990 Cotton Bowl.

:)

1989 - UCLA vs UT at UCLA. It was 24-8 UT and it wasn't that close. Long night for the Bruins; couldn't stop UT's running game.

2006 Marshall at Tennessee 33-7 UT It was a close game going into the fourth quarter, then UT blew it open...

VN Store

Back