What was the first Tennessee game that You attended?

I started following the Vols in 1952, but it was several years later when I attended my first game. 1958, University of Chattanooga 14, Tennessee 7.
I barely got you beat. Tennessee-Texas A&M ( with Coach Bear Bryant), 1957 Gator Bowl. I was only 8. We won 3-0. My father and mother went to the Cotton Bowl against Maryland in about 50 or 51. I still have the program. He was a fan. She..........not so much.

I was an Oklahoma fan at the time when I was a kid. They didn't lose for over 4 years I think. So I talked my parents into extending the Xmas vacation down to Miami, and we saw Oklahoma dominate Duke in the 58 Orange Bowl. I was more excited to see that game. I also went to the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 72 season to see Oklahoma beat Penn State. Of course I saw Tennessee drill Air Force in the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 70 or 71 season too.

Last edited:
Fall 1966, first home game,Don't recall who as I was under the influence from Eddi,s package store on the Strip. Do remember UT/Ala at home,Lost 10-9 when Gary Wright missed a twenty something yard field goal.Went to the Gator Bowl and saw the Swamp Rat beat Syracuse 18-12.Hardest hit ever-Paul Naumoff stoning Larry Csonka on third and goal.

Reactions: 2 people
First game was when I was 16 in the middle of an SEC championship year, homecoming 1967, Tulane. Started my streak of not missing any homes games for over 25 years. Bought a pair of orange socks before the game for $1 and started my own tradition of wearing orange socks on a football game day. That streak is still going.

Reactions: 4 people
1995 South Carolina. I remember it being so windy my eyes were blood shot (and no I wasn't drinking). We ran a fake FG attempt for a TD.

1985 - Vols beat No. 1 Auburn and Bo Jackson. Tony Robinson dominated on offense and the Vol defense was led by Dale Jones. Neyland was rocking.

Fall 1966, first home game,Don't recall who as I was under the influence from Eddi,s package store on the Strip. Do remember UT/Ala at home,Lost 10-9 when Gary Wright missed a twenty something yard field goal.Went to the Gator Bowl and saw the Swamp Rat beat Syracuse 18-12.Hardest hit ever-Paul Naumoff stoning Larry Csonka on third and goal.
I was a freshman in 1967-8 when Wright tore up his knee, and Karl Kremser took over kicking. Later that year in 1967, Kremser missed a long field goal that would have beaten Oklahoma at the end of the Orange Bowl.

I had a Spanish Lab class with Wright, and we became friends, and even went kicking with him that following spring. Wright kicked 2 field goals in that 66 Gator Bowl, and hit about a 40 yarder earlier in the Alabama game, but he did miss a 21 yard field goal from the right hash mark that would have won the game. He was really down over that since he was from Alabama. He owns a pharmacy now in his hometown in Heflin, Alabama.

Last edited:
UCLA in 91. It was outrageously hot.

I was there too and it was an inferno. I actually rode to the game in the back of a pickup with a towel over my face to prevent getting sunburned.

And for some reason I remember from that game some dude from the student section running on to the field before kickoff and just laying spread eagle shirtless on the T. Anybody else remember that?

I was at that Gator Bowl also - - my second Vol football game. Awesome time - I was 10 years old and my dad surprised me with the tickets on Christmas mornining. My first game was that same year vs. Candy. We won 28 - 0. Being at that Gator Bowl was (and still is) one of my best memories as a kid. I'm 57 years old now and still bleed orange. Go Butch and Go Vols!!!!!!!!!!

2012 Mizzou game. Oh and it was a dandy. Ol' Dooley choked and lost his job that night haha. I was pissed to say the least. 43 seconds on the clock and he decides to take it into overtime with one of the best offenses in Tennessee history. Unbelievable.

Tennessee Vs. Georgia 1980.

If we do not fumble Georgia doesn't win the national title.

At least that's how I remember it. I was 11.

I remember how hot the 91 UCLA game was. I drank too much, ran out of the student section before kickoff, and laid shirtless, spread eagled on the T. I hope nobody noticed.

1991, UT vs. MSU.

Parents are State alum but dad knew I was a big UT fan.

Pretty awesome.

1985 - Vols beat No. 1 Auburn and Bo Jackson. Tony Robinson dominated on offense and the Vol defense was led by Dale Jones. Neyland was rocking.

Same here, introduced to Tennessee moonshine, chanting "We want BO!" in the 3rd quarter after they took him out, saw the crowd rush the field before the game was officially over and tear down the goal posts. Thought maybe that was the way every home game was..... I wish :)

VN Store

Back