What was the first Tennessee game that You attended?

My first Big Orange game in person was the 1966 Gator Bowl where we beat Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, and the Syracuse Orangemen 18-12. Great game for a 10-year-old to witness! :)

Reactions: 1 person
I was there, too, in the Pride of the Southland Band. Stinking stadium was so small they the band sitting in folding chairs on the UT sideline. So we not only froze in the 35-degree rain, but we couldn't see the game unless it was in front of us. There was no such thing as a Jumbotron on those days. The band stayed in Nashville overnight to march in the Nashville Christmas parade as it was Thanksgiving weekend. It snowed as we marched in the parade. It was cold but at least we weren't soaked to the skin in 35-degree water.

And didn't Larry Seivers make a great catch to tie it??

My first Big Orange game in person was the 1966 Gator Bowl where we beat Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, and the Syracuse Orangemen 18-12. Great game for a 10-year-old to witness! :)

You and I are the same!!! My second Vol game as a 10 year old. I will never forget it. Little and Csonka and we contained them. I remember my dad talking about Floyd Little and how good he was - - never knew Csonka would turn into what he did. Awesome experience as a kid.

23 Sep 2000 vs Louisiana Monroe. I was 13 & my father took me. Tennessee won 70-3.

You and I are the same!!! My second Vol game as a 10 year old. I will never forget it. Little and Csonka and we contained them. I remember my dad talking about Floyd Little and how good he was - - never knew Csonka would turn into what he did. Awesome experience as a kid.

We held them out of the endzone pretty well. Little ran for 216 yards and Csonka ran for 114.

We held them out of the endzone pretty well. Little ran for 216 yards and Csonka ran for 114.
If you go to youtube and type in 1966 Gator Bowl, you will find the broadcast with Bill Fleming and Bud Wilkerson. NY Giants coach Tom Coughlin played for Syracuse in that game, and Johnny Mills made an incredible one handed catch for a TD that was called back for a penalty.

Thanks for the specifics - - I do remember (though kind of vaguely) Little running wild, but somehow we kept them from scoring much. Might be the only time in Vol history that we gave up 300+ yard rushing and won the game.

Thanks for the specifics - - I do remember (though kind of vaguely) Little running wild, but somehow we kept them from scoring much. Might be the only time in Vol history that we gave up 300+ yard rushing and won the game.

Syracuse couldn't pass what so ever that helped a bit

If you go to youtube and type in 1966 Gator Bowl, you will find the broadcast with Bill Fleming and Bud Wilkerson. NY Giants coach Tom Coughlin played for Syracuse in that game, and Johnny Mills made an incredible one handed catch for a TD that was called back for a penalty.

Dewey Warren played a hell of a game

In my Vol history, he is definitely in the top 5 QBs we've had. Tough and smart - - "The Swamp Rat" There aren't many I would take over him.
He was the qb my freshman year. I would agree with what you said, His performance in the UCLA game against Heisman winner QB Gary Beban was a classic. I think we won 37-34, and back then UCLA was a great team.

My first game was the '99 Notre Dame game with Gameday in town. Night game, unbelievable atmosphere, I was a senior in high school and from that point on I was determined to go to UT. I believe we won 38-14 or so. I transferred there 2 years later.

93 LSU game. Still have the ticket stub. Don't remember much from the game. I was 12.

I remember UT didn't cover the spread and a lot of fans were ticked. Fulmer didn't exactly apologize but it was pretty close.

Believe it or not it was the Auburn game in '83... How Lucky am I ? Bill Dance couldn't have set the hook any deeper !!!

1957, Tennessee vs Alabama, Legion Field, Birmingham AL. Vols won 14-0. Bobby Gordon led the way. Sat on my Dad's shoulders as we walked out of the stadium. :)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back