what will be Butch Jones' 1st upset / breakout win?

Florida? Wouldn't count on it.
Oregon? Don't think so.
Bama? Hell no.

Auburn and Vandy are toss ups. (Yes, Vandy)

WKU will be beaten by 10

Missouri will be beaten by 10

Kentucky will be beaten by 17

Austin Peay will be beaten by 35

South Alabama will be beaten by 38

USC or UGA are the teams we will have a shot at upsetting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee will win 9 games this year.
I know it is hard for many to fathom, especially considering our recent performances, but there are a few reason I feel like this is firmly within the realm of possibility.

Regardless of past records, performances, or coaches, Tennessee is a traditional power in the SEC and UT's facilities are among the best in the nation. This is why UT teams will have a higher level of talent on their teams at any given time. Even though the coaches were not up to par and their recruits were not as skilled as what we have been spoiled with in the past, our players are still talented. The players are still talented enough to secure a scholarship at one of the nations greatest football schools.

These kids have seen instability, a string of coaches who were sorely underqualified and were unable to develop and motivate them. Add the gross mis-management/game strategy into the mix and the lack of recent success becomes a little more clear.

The players now at UT are humans, they are athletes, and their potential for success is no different than any one of their peers on opposing teams. If Coach Jones is going to be the next great long-term coach, then his skills with shine through his first team's on-field turn-around.

Installing Coach Jones' philosophy in this first team should indeed show a remarkable turn-around, when compared to the most recent UT teams. The coaches believe, they will make sure the players believe, we need to make sure the fans believe too.

If we acknowledge the possibility of having a remarkable team this year, it will feed into the overall atmosphere surrounding the program - soon after this, things will continue to elevate, as Volunteer mind-set shifts from believing we can win to expecting to win.

It's ok to be skeptical, I just hope our Vols can prove themselve to an understandanbly skiddish fanbase by producing a couple early upsets. If they do that, with wins over Ore & Fla, there should be no reason for any Vol fan to remain skeptical or reserve any level of support.

Tennessee will bust some lips and shock some heads this year.

Reactions: 2 people
I know it is hard for many to fathom, especially considering our recent performances, but there are a few reason I feel like this is firmly within the realm of possibility.

Regardless of past records, performances, or coaches, Tennessee is a traditional power in the SEC and UT's facilities are among the best in the nation. This is why UT teams will have a higher level of talent on their teams at any given time. Even though the coaches were not up to par and their recruits were not as skilled as what we have been spoiled with in the past, our players are still talented. The players are still talented enough to secure a scholarship at one of the nations greatest football schools.

These kids have seen instability, a string of coaches who were sorely underqualified and were unable to develop and motivate them. Add the gross mis-management/game strategy into the mix and the lack of recent success becomes a little more clear.

The players now at UT are humans, they are athletes, and their potential for success is no different than any one of their peers on opposing teams. If Coach Jones is going to be the next great long-term coach, then his skills with shine through his first team's on-field turn-around.

Installing Coach Jones' philosophy in this first team should indeed show a remarkable turn-around, when compared to the most recent UT teams. The coaches believe, they will make sure the players believe, we need to make sure the fans believe too.

If we acknowledge the possibility of having a remarkable team this year, it will feed into the overall atmosphere surrounding the program - soon after this, things will continue to elevate, as Volunteer mind-set shifts from believing we can win to expecting to win.

It's ok to be skeptical, I just hope our Vols can prove themselve to an understandanbly skiddish fanbase by producing a couple early upsets. If they do that, with wins over Ore & Fla, there should be no reason for any Vol fan to remain skeptical or reserve any level of support.

I agree on everything you said, except we'll have an 8 win season. It's not like the guys that are going to start are all 2 and 3 stars. These guys were recruited by big name schools and about 80-90% were 4 stars.

Jawuan James (4*, #8 OT)
Rajion Neal (4*, #9 RB)
Jacques Smith (4*, #6 Weakside DE)
James Stone (4*, #7 OG)
AJ Johnson (4*, #8 ILB)
Tiny Richardson (4*, #7 OT)
Curt Maggitt (4*, #12 OLB)
Corey Miller (4*, #5 Weakside DE)
Dan McCullers (4*, highly ranked JUCO)
Maurice Couch (4*, highly ranked JUCO)
Byron Moore (4*, highly ranked JUCO)

Those are some of the names I thought about quickly, which is half of our starters on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: 2 people

Please be right. If you are correct, me and the rest of VN are in for one hell of a great fall. I can't wait for that first big upset.

No. Beating Vandy would most definitely be considered an upset right now. Things may be different bye the end of the season based on how each team performs... Bright now it would definitely be an upset

So I'm taking Vandy

I think this years UT vs Vandy game will be the biggest in years! I can't wait!

VN Store

Back