When will we see teams refusing to play?

So you’re gonna leave out a team that beat Alabama at Alabama over a team that lost to Alabama on a neutral field?
At the end of year, you select the 4 best teams and Alabama was better than Texas. The -lay of their QB in the last half of the year made the difference. So, yes I do believe Alabama, today, is better than Texas.

At the end of year, you select the 4 best teams and Alabama was better than Texas. The -lay of their QB in the last half of the year made the difference. So, yes I do believe Alabama, today, is better than Texas.
So on field results don’t matter to you? Hell, why play the season then. Just picture who is best in Dec & go with it. Right?

Reactions: GoVols9800
You miss the point or do not understand how thte Championship Series is designed.
No they miss the point. On field results, how much you wish they were not, do count. Otherwise why keep score? Ga had one game to win and they choked. They could have gone 11-1, even 10-2, but beat Alabama & they’re in. They didn’t. Texas won THE big game on their schedule (it wasn’t OU). Ga didn’t.

Reactions: GoVols9800
Yada yada yada. Every team in America could be faced with this. Kids today DONT play for good ole State U. WTFU
They played for Georgia. They played for Mizzou. Iowa is going to have most of all of their team. All teams that developed their talent within.

They played for Georgia. They played for Mizzou. Iowa is going to have most of all of their team. All teams that developed their talent within.
Ga had over 10 transfer or opt out. They have the deepest roster in America thiu. Mizzou is also an exception. They’ve never won ****.

I said COULD. Count your blessings it doesn’t happen here but it could.

Ga had over 10 transfer or opt out. They have the deepest roster in America thiu. Mizzou is also an exception. They’ve never won ****.

I said COULD. Count your blessings it doesn’t happen here but it could.
Opting out to the transfer portal and opting out for the NFL are two different things.

Players who opt out normally are leaving becuase there isn't opportunity for that player or the staff is going in a different direction.
Players who opt out for the NFL are doing so as a business decision.

Most teams aren't having both happen to them. If you are, the culture and development must be bad. Georgia didn't have NFL opt outs, just transfers looking for more opportunity.

Even then, teams like Georgia and Florida State are in the playoffs under next year's structure, so they don't even really apply.

So which teams outside of the top 12 are having these problems that COULD happen to anyone?

Opting out to the transfer portal and opting out for the NFL are two different things.

Players who opt out normally are leaving becuase there isn't opportunity for that player or the staff is going in a different direction.
Players who opt out for the NFL are doing so as a business decision.

Most teams aren't having both happen to them. If you are, the culture and development must be bad. Georgia didn't have NFL opt outs, just transfers looking for more opportunity.

Even then, teams like Georgia and Florida State are in the playoffs under next year's structure, so they don't even really apply.

So which teams outside of the top 12 are having these problems that COULD happen to anyone?
Sorry but not playing is not playing. Your reason is irrelevant. You’re not playing. Period.

Texas A&M fielded a team without a lot of portal transfers. OSU lost a couple of both. Last year, Florida had the same. It can happen anywhere

Who can blame these kids for wanting to go into the nfl as healthy as possible. As an example, if Jalen Wright were to get an ankle twisted and then wasn’t 100% for the combine, it could mean the difference between getting drafted or being a free agent. That is s big pay check. By the way, Brock Bowers isn’t hurt. He opted out.

Sorry but not playing is not playing. Your reason is irrelevant. You’re not playing. Period.

Texas A&M fielded a team without a lot of portal transfers. OSU lost a couple of both. Last year, Florida had the same. It can happen anywhere
If you just blindly accept that all opt outs are the same becuase of the player not playing, why do you see Tennessee different?

Tennessee is, not could, missing 15 players for their bowl game:

• QB Joe Milton
  • RB Jaylen Wright
  • RB Jabari Small
  • DE Tyler Baron (Transfer)
  • Nickel Tamarion McDonald (Transfer)
  • S Wesley Walker (Transfer)
  • CB Doneiko Slaughter (Transfer)
  • CB Brandon Turnage (Transfer)
  • OL Addison Nichols (Transfer)
  • OL Javontez Spraggins (Injury)
  • LB Keenan Pili (Injury)
  • LB Arion Carter (Injury)
  • WR Bru McCoy (Injury)
  • WR Dont’e Thornton (Injury)
  • CB Kamal Hadden (Injury)

Serious question….when we see large number of athletes refusing to play because of money? For example we are seeing positions like QB, WR, DL making the high NIL dollar amounts. Will we ever see entire units like offensive linemen, kickers, etc. make a statement about the huge gap? They practice just as much, work as hard and don’t reap the benefits. If this has already been discussed frequently, please forgive me.
No. NIL is business, the players understand that.

…and for like the hundredth time, NIL is not tied to playing time, performance, or how hard you practice. It’s about how marketable a player is and how many followers he/she has on social media.

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
Players will need to understand (and I think they probably do) that some positions get paid more. Just like in the NFL positions like QB, OT and DE are getting rewarded the most in the NIL world. If a place kicker is upset he’s not making as much as the QB, he’s not paying attention to the way the football world works

And look at the female wage gap. Sexist scum. 🫣😉

No restrictions will ever hold up in court. You can’t restrict someone’s ability to earn money on the free market.
You can with a contract, between player and NIL group. Buyouts accepted

Just saw a July 2023 article, Texas had already spent $15.7M on athletes since NIL started. Basically over $7.5M per year. Fifteen sports with FB & BB getting $13.5M

OP, do you mean like a player strike for all the players that aren't making any money? That is an interesting concept.
Hard to know but what are the chances that some of this "camaraderie" doesn't already exist aka this played bowl season? Locker mates talk.

Lets hope things don't get to that level but I do agree that if some restrictions or changes, not a $ cap, are not put on the NIL program, getting out of control is a real possibility. Who knows what that means.
I personally would like to see the window's tightened up...and penalties for opting out, outside of the windows....like making them sit out for a year like they used to. No reason coaches should have to deal w/ portal crap when they are trying to prepare for a bowl/playoff game. So, I'd propose one portal window during season, maybe at halfway point, so you know where you have recruiting gaps and then after all games have been played thru NSD, and then window in summer...maybe June/July. I'm sure I have something off here, but they need to stop the constant churn and line portal up w/ HS recruiting to some degree so that coaches can build their rosters?

Universities will have to share tv revenue with players beyond scholarships, at some point.
And that will be a traumatic experience for ADs and coaches - they will suddenly have to cut millions from what they spend in order to pay the players.

I am 47 and have loved football since I was big enough to hold one. I lost interest in the NFL years ago. I'm starting to feel that way about college. I'm sure that isn't just happening to me. Is football a growing sport? I see soccer crap everywhere. If fans slow spending and viewership slumps, does that impact "student athletes"? I have no desire to buy another bowl game ticket or regular season ticket. I went to my last game in Neyland this year. I'm not a gloom and doom guy and I don't think football is dead before I am, but I am curious how this is impacting fan money coming in.

VN Store

Back