SLB) Maggitt 4*, Sapp2*
MLB) Johnson 4*, Fugate 3*
WLB) Brewer 4*, Harris 3*
CB) Coleman 4*, Gordon 4*
CB) R Jones 3*, Oliver 4*
FS) Randolph 3*, Orta 3*
SS) Moore 4*, McNeil 4*
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The problem is that our 2-3* players are at the worst possible positions for a talent disadvantage....QB, WR, and DB.

So you think there are only 4 schools in the league with a less talented roster than us? Totally disagree. UK, Vandy, Mizzou, Ole Miss, MSU, and Arky all have less talented rosters than we do.

I disagree. We have some really good talent on offense, but QB, WR, and TE positions are up in the air because of lack of experience. We will know by mid season about the offense. On defense, we have some talent and experience, but almost no SEC caliber back up players. If we avoid injuries, we will be in good shape. I think the team will play with more heart, and determination than our teams in the recent past. By 2015, we will be much closer tho the top of the SEC talent pool.

We have good talent if we weren't in the SEC we would be a tough team to handle. We have to play 1, 3, 4,5 in the pre-season top ten and also number 13. Four of those games are SEC games. I think if this class continues as it has started in a couple of years you will see us in that top ten pre-season.

This comment is not intended to imply that we have the talent that is needed to compete, but let's not forget that we were essentially one play away from beating South Carolina and Georgia last year. A different coaching staff and I think we have two more wins last year. While I don't expect us to have a very good upcoming season, I expect these coaches to get us those couple of extra wins this season. . .

. . .because Butch gets it.

I think if the defense is any good we will pull at least one upset. Thinking about last years defense is still scary they were really bad. A lot of these guys are the same players so we will see if coaching can make the difference. Even with the losses on offense I think we'll score defense is still the major concern with the team.

This comment is not intended to imply that we have the talent that is needed to compete, but let's not forget that we were essentially one play away from beating South Carolina and Georgia last year. A different coaching staff and I think we have two more wins last year. While I don't expect us to have a very good upcoming season, I expect these coaches to get us those couple of extra wins this season. . .

I have heard before that "Butch get's it" but the real question is what will he do with it, once he does?????

There is no reason we won't take bama this year. I see three loses coming to bama this year...that's enough for me.

I don't want to be completely negative.

But, it's going to take a different group of guys.

So far, butch's recruiting is a whole lot better than what has been signed recently.

But, the class he is working on and the next one will need time to grow up

It's not a good idea to lump all the starters together and then try to declare whether they're good or not. E.g., UT's OL might be the best in the SEC and UF's OL would be in the bottom half. UF has a great DL - maybe the best in the SEC? - while UT's is largely unproven due to last year's 3-4 scheme so I might put them initially in the bottom half.

Bottom line, it's going to come down to the most important position again and I have no confidence yet in our QB's (though the talent is certainly there, the experience is not). UF's QB can be a world beater one day (he had a career day against us!) and 'out to lunch' the next.

those are from high school. anyone that has been on campus for two years should be rerated. most do not measure up to that ranking, IMO

example, a senior like Neal who has only started 8 games to this point, is not a 4 star player. 2.5 to a 3 star..

Neal averaged 4.5 yds a clip last year in the SEC - has he lived up to his rating - maybe not, but a lot of players don't until their senior years and a lot of players don't when playing for poor coaches

most 4 star kids aren't CP where the athleticism is so obvious it shines through in any situation

also that poster could have easily put Bowles/North at the 3rd WR spot and had 2 more 4 stars in that 2 deep as opposed to putting in carter/blanc

Fyp

Three wins...you forgot Mizzou...Dooley snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory on that one

Reactions: 4 people
also that poster could have easily put Bowles/North at the 3rd WR spot and had 2 more 4 stars in that 2 deep as opposed to putting in carter/blanc
I used the projected 2 deep according to Football Time, with the exception of Daniel Gray who is no longer with the team. Obviously it can all change after fall camp.

Fyp

Add Missouri to that GA SC list also !
No way we would lose that game with a coach who had a clue!

I used the projected 2 deep according to Football Time, with the exception of Daniel Gray who is no longer with the team. Obviously it can all change after fall camp.

gotcha - the whole WR situation is up in the air - so wasnt a criticism of what you used as much as just noting that it could look far better from a "star" standpoint

We have a lot of talent that was vastly under develop. I don't believe that it's that huge of a gap when it comes to raw talent we just need coaches who can coach some players up

The problem is that our 2-3* players are at the worst possible positions for a talent disadvantage....QB, WR, and DB.

The REAL PROBLEM has been coaching. A GOOD coach has the ability to make a good player better ie a 3* play like a 4* …etc.

For reference see Johnny Majors. IMO one of the best coaches at taking a mediocre team and making them play like a really good team. See also '84 cold

Last edited:
I think there is talent on the roster though not to the Bama or Georgia levels. I certainly think a well-coached roster can squeeze out a few more wins with this team. I started this thread because a few posters believe we have the same talent level as Oregon and while I'm a huge Tennessee fan I tend to disagree. Thoughts?

NO NO NO we dont have the talent as the Ducks.:no:Now that dont mean we cant give them a run for the money, with good coaching and a few turnovers who knows.

I think we have similar talent to Oregon. The difference is their talent has been coached by one of the top 5 coaches in the nation. Our talent was coached by Dooley and his 79 assistants who stopped by Knoxville for a cup of coffee. They've had a winning attitude drilled into them. Our fans and players have had a defeatist attitude. But don't think for one second Oregon wouldn't get that azz tapped multiple times per season in the SEC. Their talent would be mid pack , about like ours is.

As for where we stand in the SEC....yes we need work to get on the level of Bama, LSU, etc.

That, and the drop off from our 1s to our 2s at LB and DT is alarming.

and OL also. why the staff is focusing a lot on JC for those groups.. may not find what they need and have to take high school but they definitely want immediate help for those 3 groups in 2014

VN Store

Back