Which of the 5 big dogs do we have a shot at?

South Carolina or Georgia is probably our best shot at beating IMO.

When will you people get it through your heads that the QBs are working with green receivers who CBJ has said often drop balls. That the O&W game had the frontline receivers out of play. That the team is learning a new scheme and as much progress as they're making, they have yet to master it. We will end up being better than you think this year. But you're right about 2014. So many holes to fill will likely mean a drop in on field performance.Depends on CBJ recruiting strategy. Quality HS graduates only as OL and DL guys or the right mix of JUCO DL and OL guys
to play alongside them.

Yes, the receivers are green but so are the qb's and not that great to begin with unfortunately.

I think people give oregon too much credit, if they are in the SEC they would be a 7-9 win team at best.
the only thing about them is we have to play them so early and away. But we can still beat them, they are not a sure loss. In fact nobody on our schedule is a sure loss not even alabama.

I think all those teams are going to over look us this year and that could be good for us.

We usually give scar a good game. Since its at home maybe we can at least keep it close.

South Carolina and Georgia are always possibilities for us. I don't see us beating Oregon there unless our defense is dramatically better than last year. This is likely a 6-6 or 7-5 team. Anything more would be a great coaching job by this staff.

South Carolina or Georgia... But I would trade wins against them for wins against Florida or Alabama

We play Carolina after our bye and late enough in the season where hopefully we have the QB situation figured out.

Also that is in the middle of a 3 game SEC road stretch for them and they generally play like donkie crap on the road.

I think they are 100% our best shot for an upset this year.

I think people give oregon too much credit, if they are in the SEC they would be a 7-9 win team at best.
the only thing about them is we have to play them so early and away. But we can still beat them, they are not a sure loss. In fact nobody on our schedule is a sure loss not even alabama.

I think all those teams are going to over look us this year and that could be good for us.

Where does this thinking come from?

I don't consider South Carolina or Georgia a "big dog."

You can say that USC isn't a big dog anyday, but saying that Georgia isn't too? They were a play away from the SEC championship last year, plus their all-american running back is returning. Georgia is a damn good football team.

Last edited:
Where does this thinking come from?

well don't get me wrong I think oregon is a good football team, they are a fast well coached team in a conference full of slow teams. This makes them seem better than they really are. I think if they where in the SEC they would be a solid team but not a dominating team. They are all offense and mediocre defense. This wins games but it doesn't win championships.

people on this forum have bought into the hype though and think Oregon is some kind of super team and we have no chance against them. I don't believe this at all. In fact I think they are a team we have a really good chance at beating, I think we are going to be able to run the ball on them very well. I just wish we had them a couple games later in the schedule.

SC will be our best shot. That said, I don't think UT will beat any of those teams and I kind of doubt that any of them will even be all that close. People need to brace themselves for the Oregon game because I think there's a good chance we give the school record for most lopsided loss a run for its money in that one. Jones is doing pretty good on the recruiting trail so far, but we're at least a year away from seeing any progress from a W/L standpoint. This fall is going to be a long one.

well don't get me wrong I think oregon is a good football team, they are a fast well coached team in a conference full of slow teams. This makes them seem better than they really are. I think if they where in the SEC they would be a solid team but not a dominating team. They are all offense and mediocre defense. This wins games but it doesn't win championships.

people on this forum have bought into the hype though and think Oregon is some kind of super team and we have no chance against them. I don't believe this at all. In fact I think they are a team we have a really good chance at beating, I think we are going to be able to run the ball on them very well. I just wish we had them a couple games later in the schedule.

We may not play in the PAC 12, but this fits the description of our defense perfectly. Did you even watch any of our games last year?

well, here's what i am thinking.

oregon's a team that goes to bcs bowls regularly in the last few years. in those games, they have played very well. i can't remember the last time oregon got hammered by anyone.

when they played auburn in the bcs title game, their defense throttled auburn better than any opponent all season.

when you win double digit games every year and donkey stomp most of your competition, you are pretty damn good.

my school finished 11-2 last season and i would be afraid of getting blown out traveling to oregon. so, it amazes me that fans of a school that hasn't produced a winning season since 2009 look at oregon as a game where they can really push the opponent.

and in general, i find it somewhat humorous to read from so many that georgia isn't that good. south carolina isn't that good. florida isn't that good. oregon isn't that good. i've heard notre dame sucks. ohio state isn't that great either. etc, etc, etc.

seriously?

if all those teams are not good, who is? is alabama the only good football team in the country?

well, here's what i am thinking.

oregon's a team that goes to bcs bowls regularly in the last few years. in those games, they have played very well. i can't remember the last time oregon got hammered by anyone.

when they played auburn in the bcs title game, their defense throttled auburn better than any opponent all season.

when you win double digit games every year and donkey stomp most of your competition, you are pretty damn good.

my school finished 11-2 last season and i would be afraid of getting blown out traveling to oregon. so, it amazes me that fans of a school that hasn't produced a winning season since 2009 look at oregon as a game where they can really push the opponent.

and in general, i find it somewhat humorous to read from so many that georgia isn't that good. south carolina isn't that good. florida isn't that good. oregon isn't that good. i've heard notre dame sucks. ohio state isn't that great either. etc, etc, etc.

seriously?

if all those teams are not good, who is? is alabama the only good football team in the country?

you never saw me post anywhere that I don't think georgia,florida and SC are not good.

its just my personal opinion that oregon is not that good, so whats your beef with that ? I believe that of all our games against those teams oregon is the one we have the best chance at surprising.

Also whether or not we have had a winning season since 2009 has no bearing on what we may be capable of this year.

you asked me why I thought the way I did and I explained to you and you come back and blast me for having a opinion that you asked for.

Bama is the only team that I would say we just can't beat if you asked me right now. The rest.........

all of them!! Go Vols!!

haha, but seriously...Georgia, Bama, and maybe Florida (close game) will beat us

We play 5 top 10 teams. Bammer,Fla,Ore,USCe,and Uga. Which team(s) do we match up best against? Who has the weakest rushing D among t4he 5? I say Oregon. We will have a darn good running game-we better. I could perceive no other strengths from 12 or the O&W game. Which of these teams can we realistically upset? My rankings and odds- 1 Ore 39% chance we win. 2 SCar 36%. 3 Fla 30%. 4 Uga 27%. 5 Bammer 7%. What say y`all,VolNation? A more researched thread or corrections ar3e welcome. Go Vols!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

IMO, Georgia. In Neyland. If we can play a game with very, very few mistakes and they come in a little flat, excellent chance to knock them off. They have been known to come in with more talent and we get them.. IMO, they are the best chance we have

We will lose to all of them. We need another solid year of recruiting and a year of QB experience before we can seriously compete with any of those teams.

This. 100% this.

UT will not beat any of those. They may scare one or two. Maybe. But in no way does UT have the talent to beat these established teams.

What I hope is that they look like they belong in the big games.

I think we'll pull off one upset, either against South Carolina or Georgia.

Oregon and Bama will be difficult. Florida is early in the season, and I think it will take a while for the players to get adjusted to the new systems.

Though, I will say that the best sign of progress (aside from an upset) is that we give a team like Bama, Florida, or Oregon a tough game.

VN Store

Back