Who are the richest NIL programs?

It is my understanding that these “valuations” ARE NOT based on the actual deals players are making. These “valuations” are based mostly on the number of social media followers the player has. At least that is what I read at ON3 a few months ago.).

An average player with a high social media following will have a higher “valuation” than a very good player with a low social media following. (But I am sure the collectives will be spending their money on the higher rated player). For the most part it is hush hush how much players are actually receiving so some sites come up with formulas to come up with a number and then get clicks and interest in their websites.
I think that's correct about valuations.

If accurate, the actual amount paid out to the 10 highest is shown in the link below:

Reactions: Raebo
Keep in mind there is also a risk here - 5* athlete connected to company XYZ, then does something very illegal - that ends up reflecting on company XYZ. And that company decides it is not worth it to them.
Spyre isn't a corporation that does anything other than buy talent though are they?

I think that's correct about valuations.

If accurate, the actual amount paid out to the 10 highest is shown in the link below:

Yah, and these valuations by ON3 and others have always struck me as missing the point.

NIL collectives, like Spyre for us, don't decide how much to pay a kid based on his social media exposure. They don't care about his social media reach. They don't care how many people show up for his meet & greets, or autograph sessions. Even if that's what they are ostensibly paying him to do, by contract.

No, they really value the player based on his football-playing talents (or more accurately, by how highly the university's coaches evaluate his talent), and are really paying him to put those talents on the field for a particular team (they just can't--yet--be explicit about all this...but we all know).

Don't get me wrong...there are some businesses who approach their small-$$ NIL deals that way. The cookie company in Knoxville that gives out free cookies when their contracted player intercepts a ball or runs for a touchdown, they're the kind of NIL-deal-maker who cares about social media reach. They might make an offer to Alontae over Jeremy, or Bru over Ramel, because of social media exposure.

But the big money, the vast majority of NIL $$ being spent, it is coming through companies like Spyre, and deep-pocket boosters, and what they care about is getting the kid into an orange uniform and playing well on Saturdays. Which has nothing to do with social media reach.

So ON3 and others who count up a guy's facebook and twitter following and "value" him that way are mostly missing the point. They're assessing a kid's potential for the $10,000 contracts well, but totally missing the boat on the $1,000,000 contracts.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
We have always been advertised as one of the absolute best in the country. Jury is still out on how good we are at using it.....

You're correct, having it and spending it correctly are two entirely different things. If it's staying at the Four Seasons and jetting across the country taking youngsters to the local best boom boom room,. then there's better ways to spend those dollars.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
No we didn't, he turned down a multi million $ deal to go to Colorado and it wasn't about money, they didn't offer more.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. I guess that’s why Travis Hunter committed to Deion. Yeah it had nothing to do with money 😂😂😂.

Nah. I just think this staff has a different approach to the portal. Don't think they're after 1 year mercs who might not be the best cultural fit. Looks like solid kids with multiple years is what we're after. Not a wrong approach just different....at least that's my hope.
Agree to disagree.

We haven't gotten more than 1 5 star in each of Heupel's classes and we are NOT in the top 5 in recruiting in any poll the past 2 years as well. I would say Spyre needs to set it up.

The first big miss they had was Francis Mauigoa. We desperately needed great offensive linemen and he has already looked solid at Miami. We can't outbid the ACC?
Dang, Can't and Won't are two different things. If another school is willing to spend more than our market value assessment then so be it. It is possible that in some kids minds our bid would have to be bigger than the winners due to other economic or even non economic factors and crosses our eval limits. Those trying to make CONVENIENT black and white judgements on these situations are a bit short of reason and logic.

Reactions: Raebo
It sure feels like it is leaning that way. We have struggled closing in high school recruiting. If we swing and miss on some of these big time portal guys.... 😬 yikes!!

Latest I heard was we might be missing on Juice Wells because of money...how???
How much is he requiring and how much is our max value calculation on him? Maybe we can retain BRU with some of this money and add some more since this available money is still in the bank. Too many folks jumping up on the bridge railing with each players decision. Sad display and putting our trailer trash fanbase image back in play. The every fanbase has them defense can only carry us so far in these kids livingrooms.

How much is he requiring and how much is our max value calculation on him? Maybe we can retain BRU with some of this money and add some more since this available money is still in the bank. Too many folks jumping up on the bridge railing with each players decision. Sad display and putting our trailer trash fanbase image back in play. The every fanbase has them defense can only carry us so far in these kids livingrooms.
hahahahaha running out of guys in the portal that are worth a dang. Who would you like to add? Tulane WR would be nice but has a ton of offers and might be a tough pull for us. Some really good looking DBs available but doesn't seem like we are much of a player....

hahahahaha running out of guys in the portal that are worth a dang. Who would you like to add? Tulane WR would be nice but has a ton of offers and might be a tough pull for us. Some really good looking DBs available but doesn't seem like we are much of a player....
NOPE, I think there will be some serious NEW portal entries between now and early window close in early Jan. Wanted to play in bowls with their teammates and THEN take care of themselves. Not as many new entries but fewer culls and more production probable guys. ESD finalizes the HS inbound and inbound portal guys change the dynamics in EVERY teams rooms. Love to target some guys with 2-3 years left where we have a clearer shot to the field than where they are in peer programs, and a shot at the bigtime for quality misses playing in lower level programs.

ONCE AGAIN, NIL will impact RETENTION, HS signing DAYS, and PORTAL net changes. We are two signing days and two portal entry deadlines away from knowing our entire NET Roster Managment grade for this year. Will be real interesting to see how many of last years NIL HS victories turn out to be one year rentals as well as how many QUALITY players exit a program due to ONE NIL addition this year. One starter and one new HS or portal addition might motivate a young 4 star to look around rather than risk sitting another year on the depth chart. Just a small NIL offer might do the trick. Gotta let this ALL play out. This whole new world is for sure CHESS not CHECKERS. Any fan declaring a total roster management loss (the only thing that really matters) before fall rosters are set are either intellignence or emotionally challenged.

NOPE, I think there will be some serious NEW portal entries between now and early window close in early Jan. Wanted to play in bowls with their teammates and THEN take care of themselves. Not as many new entries but fewer culls and more production probable guys. ESD finalizes the HS inbound and inbound portal guys change the dynamics in EVERY teams rooms. Love to target some guys with 2-3 years left where we have a clearer shot to the field than where they are in peer programs, and a shot at the bigtime for quality misses playing in lower level programs.

ONCE AGAIN, NIL will impact RETENTION, HS signing DAYS, and PORTAL net changes. We are two signing days and two portal entry deadlines away from knowing our entire NET Roster Managment grade for this year. Will be real interesting to see how many of last years NIL HS victories turn out to be one year rentals as well as how many QUALITY players exit a program due to ONE NIL addition this year. One starter and one new HS or portal addition might motivate a young 4 star to look around rather than risk sitting another year on the depth chart. Just a small NIL offer might do the trick. Gotta let this ALL play out. This whole new world is for sure CHESS not CHECKERS. Any fan declaring a total roster management loss (the only thing that really matters) before fall rosters are set are either intellignence or emotionally challenged.
I can't predict the future. Maybe more good players enter that we get in on...maybe not. All I know is what is in front of us right now. A bit of a struggle so far. Definitely plenty of time for that to change before kickoff against UTC though

Dang, Can't and Won't are two different things. If another school is willing to spend more than our market value assessment then so be it. It is possible that in some kids minds our bid would have to be bigger than the winners due to other economic or even non economic factors and crosses our eval limits. Those trying to make CONVENIENT black and white judgements on these situations are a bit short of reason and logic.

The argument is we have the best NIL. If we do, we shouldn't be losing those bids against other teams, especially non-B1G/SEC teams like losing 5 star linemen to Miami.

The argument is we have the best NIL. If we do, we shouldn't be losing those bids against other teams, especially non-B1G/SEC teams like losing 5 star linemen to Miami.
That is dumb. We offer up to our maximum calculated value and if we lose we lose and use the money elsewhere. Regardless of what our competitions offers are. I once turned down a toy on ebay after striking out at ToysRus. Gotta have a budget. Even moreso now that transfers after the first year are getting TOOOOOOOOO common. Check out this years QB top guns. We are keeping ours..... BUT

He reached out to our staff, expressed real interest, got a massive NIL deal, and ended up somewhere else.

It’s been rumored some kids were using us for NIL leverage, so I’m guessing our offers are pretty good
Probably would be a waste of money to get players like this....

That is dumb. We offer up to our maximum calculated value and if we lose we lose and use the money elsewhere. Regardless of what our competitions offers are. I once turned down a toy on ebay after striking out at ToysRus. Gotta have a budget. Even moreso now that transfers after the first year are getting TOOOOOOOOO common. Check out this years QB top guns. We are keeping ours..... BUT
according to you it’s dumb. We won’t overpay. Your posts are full of assumptions. You question people who question our NIL. Why? Some of us just don’t think Spyre is very good. And why do you think they are so good?

Reactions: volbound1700
according to you it’s dumb. We won’t overpay. Your posts are full of assumptions. You question people who question our NIL. Why? Some of us just don’t think Spyre is very good. And why do you think they are so good?
Given this, since GA has the best recruiting class, your assumption is they have the best NIL? Do you believe that's entirely how to rate how well a school's NIL works: who has the highest ranking class at the end of the year?

I'm doubtful that's the whole picture.

VN Store

Back