Why Was JHurd PLaying Safety in the First Place?

people have played both ways in high school for a long time.

some of the most famous recruiting gaffes of all time are from this problem.

all the major programs recruited marshall faulk to play defensive back.

marshall faulk decided to play halfback at san diego state.

joe paterno wanted jim kelly to play linebacker at penn state. jim kelly went to miami to play quarterback.

etc, etc, etc.

and one closer to home.. Jason Witten played DE/ TE, was recruited to play DE

Beech is 5A, not 7 on 7, right?

There were lots of guys on the sideline.

Oh, well, this opens the door for Butch to rush another 5* RB without fear of insulting JH.
That's Bama's mentality. Only one 5 * allowed on the team. Look where that they got them. :crazy:

Last edited:
First of all, he was hurt while playing running back, so you have no valid point here.

Second, at least 80% of our current roster played both ways in high school, including our QB. So if you think Hurd was the only one, then you know nothing about high school football.

I think the OP's comments have some validity in this context. When I played ( it's been a while ) our D1 running back who led the state of Tennessee in scoring his senior year - played safety the first two games of the year and only played on offense after that. Someone somewhere made the decision he wasn't needed on defense or that we were deep enough at safety that he didn't need to be in there. I would also guess that if you took a survey of the top 10 running backs in the country - most only play on offense. Everyone's responses to Mr. Owl are for the most part valid as well, but I think it was a fair question to ask.

I think the OP's comments have some validity in this context. When I played ( it's been a while ) our D1 running back who led the state of Tennessee in scoring his senior year - played safety the first two games of the year and only played on offense after that. Someone somewhere made the decision he wasn't needed on defense or that we were deep enough at safety that he didn't need to be in there. I would also guess that if you took a survey of the top 10 running backs in the country - most only play on offense. Everyone's responses to Mr. Owl are for the most part valid as well, but I think it was a fair question to ask.

I have seen very few players no matter how good they are play one way in HS. Maybe some of the bigger programs that have good depth do that, but it is rare. Josh Malone was also on the field at D and I dont seen anyone questioning that.

If we could cut through the bull here....

The main problem the op has is that a Tennessee recruit got hurt.

This thread was his way of placing blame on the high school coach for not shielding tennessee's prized recruit. That If the coach cared about the kid, this would not have happened.

No one plays big time players both ways in high school. The coach should be arrested and sentenced to life in prison.

That's really the deal here.

Reality is big time players playing both ways is common. Injuries happen. It sucks. It's no one's fault. Move on.

Reactions: 2 people
If we could cut through the bull here....

The main problem the op has is that a Tennessee recruit got hurt.

This thread was his way of placing blame on the high school coach for not shielding tennessee's prized recruit. That If the coach cared about the kid, this would not have happened.

No one plays big time players both ways in high school. The coach should be arrested and sentenced to life in prison.

That's really the deal here.

Reality is big time players playing both ways is common. Injuries happen. It sucks. It's no one's fault. Move on.

Bingo

Reactions: 1 person
More chances for injury. More fatigue, making him less effective at RB.

He wasn't going to play S in college or the NFL. What was the Beech coach thinking?

I'm glad he's in the dock till UT can get a hold of him...and that it's not a knee.

He was injured playing RB. No uncommon in HS ball for someone to play both ways.

Give Wise some credit though, he's figured out how to like his own posts lol. :good!:

Last edited:
More chances for injury. More fatigue, making him less effective at RB.

He wasn't going to play S in college or the NFL. What was the Beech coach thinking?

I'm glad he's in the dock till UT can get a hold of him...and that it's not a knee.

Because the Beech coach was more worried about getting a W than preserving Jalen. (Not saying he isnt concerned about his health and safety. Don't take that the wrong way) If you are lacking depth, and the kid can play put him in. Its not too uncommon.

Then don't tell people who criticize you to log off.

After the first few responders offered substantive support for the Beech coach's decision to play JH as S, many posters, without adding anything more that was substantive, jumped on the derision bandwagon to blame the OP for being stupid, wasting their time, and disagreeing with THEIR opinion. There was nothing more to be learned on the subject from these guys and it was past their bedtime [I live on the west coast].

He will most likely end up on defense at UT so what's the big deal. The kid is still growing, how many 6'5" or 6'6" - 240, 250 lbs running backs do see around the SEC?

In theory, you're correct. But in reality, most of these kids play both ways. I'm not embellishing when I say 80-90% of the current Tennessee roster played both ways in high school. It's just a fact. Maybe it's an "old way" of thinking, as teh OP put it later, but it's a fact.

We can (and have) debate the merits of playing both ways all day, but the problem most people have had with the OP and his follow up comments, is that he was unaware that most high-level players play both ways, and got defensive when that fact was pointed out. I enjoyed the discussion for the most part, but it's kind of a moot point.

Its called ironman football a lot of highschools do it. Because they don't have the depth players have to play both ways

I guess we shouldn't let AJ Johnson run the Beast package anymore either, right? This thread is pointless. I can count on one hand in local HS ball the number of players who DON'T play on both sides of the ball. Best players stay on the field, period.

VN Store

Back