Will the honeymoon be over

At some point our fan base has to grasp the concept that the players execute the gameplan. The coaches can only draw it up for them. When you have players quitting in the 3rd qtr and staying in the game regardless, lining up wrong several times in a game, too many men on the field late in the season etc... Those are cues of bad coaching. 2 penalties in 2 games , and dramatically improving after half time are indicators of a winning coach. Dude is human and will make calls that make us mouthbreathers piss and moan from time to time. I'm liking what I'm seeing from a coaching stand point.

Reactions: 6 people
I hope we can win but everyone knows that Bama and Oregon is in a league of their own. If we can be competive Tennessee will be lucky. I think this Oregon team could beat Florida by at least 21.

No, I will still be pulling for Butch and the team. I would like to see us score a few points though.

No. Despite perception many have, MOST informed fans have been realistic about expectations from coaches. Regardless of what Barbara Dooley says, fans were rather patient with Derek. The line for me was the UK loss, some made it until last season until wanting a change. However, that first year and a half, I never heard much negativity from fans regarding losing games they were supposed to lose. It's the unacceptable losses and especially the way games were lost that made fans give up on Dooley. His attitude and people skills didn't help matters. I think most fans expect 6-6 this season, and can't imagine a fan with college football knowledge, getting upset at losing at Oregon, even by a wide margin. If they come out and need a last minute rally to beat South Alabama (Dooleyesque) then that's a different story. I totally expect UT to win a game they are supposed to lose, and that does everything for fan moral. (see Kiffin's wins over USCjr and UGA)

Reactions: 1 person
Make no mistake about it, this is Volnation. If we don't win Saturday there will be some on here that claim CBJ can't coach, his coaching staff sucks and we will not win another game.
All you have to do is look at how this place almost melted down in the first half of this weeks game. What do you think will happen if we are getting out butts handed to us? Having said all this, I'm onboard and support CBJ 100% regardless of the outcome. GBO!

Reactions: 3 people
Make no mistake about it, this is Volnation. If we don't win Saturday there will be some on here that claim CBJ can't coach, his coaching staff sucks and we will not win another game.
All you have to do is look at how this place almost melted down in the first half of this weeks game. What do you think will happen if we are getting out butts handed to us? Having said all this, I'm onboard and support CBJ 100% regardless of the outcome. GBO!

Yep and most of them will be the ones saying we don't have a chance at winning!

I just want to see UT play hard, tough, and for 60 minutes. Then let the outcome fall where it may. Oregon has the talent and speed to win championships. But UT can show where they are mentally this week.

Reactions: 6 people
I hope they take Inky with them to give them a pre-game speech and half time speech. We need as much help as we can get!

I don't think we are in a honeymoon period. CBJ walked into a huge rebuilding project, that's the whole point of "brick by brick" and "rise to the top". CBJ has been a confidence builder for sure but I don't think that any fan with any sense of reality expects us to beat Oregon, USCjr, Georgia, florida, and Bama. Maybe an upset or two, but to dominate these teams? No way. OMG said it beast. The VOLS are not fully 1 deep with top SEC tallent yet. Let alone 2-3 deep like some of the other teams are.

I do think we can beat Auburn, KY, Vandy, and hopefully beat some of the big five I mentioned above.

Anything can happen. We all know that but the reality says that we are not winning the SEC or the NC this year or next.

What I do expect to see is a mental toughness, constant improvement, and a commitment to being better every single game.

Thanks!

Jim

If bUTch loses to oregon this weekend? Most of Volnation has been onboard with bUTch since breathing life into the football program. Will it be over Saturday with a loss?

It`s ok to hope we beat Oregon...But most of us know it aint gonna happen this year!

Yes, we will call for him to be fired after losing to the #2 team in the country on the road.

/sarcasm.

Personally I'm way more interested in how they play a Florida team that's shown some question marks the past couple of weeks.

No. Despite perception many have, MOST informed fans have been realistic about expectations from coaches. Regardless of what Barbara Dooley says, fans were rather patient with Derek. The line for me was the UK loss, some made it until last season until wanting a change. However, that first year and a half, I never heard much negativity from fans regarding losing games they were supposed to lose. It's the unacceptable losses and especially the way games were lost that made fans give up on Dooley. His attitude and people skills didn't help matters. I think most fans expect 6-6 this season, and can't imagine a fan with college football knowledge, getting upset at losing at Oregon, even by a wide margin. If they come out and need a last minute rally to beat South Alabama (Dooleyesque) then that's a different story. I totally expect UT to win a game they are supposed to lose, and that does everything for fan moral. (see Kiffin's wins over USCjr and UGA)

I would say overall, Vol fans were EXTREMELY patient with Dooley. The UK loss did it for a good portion, but I still think most were with him until the Missouri loss. After that I could hardly find anyone who thought he was going to make it here.

Had he won that first LSU game, I think that alone may have gotten him a 4th year, simply because it would have been proof he could win a big game we weren't supposed to.

Personally I'm way more interested in how they play a Florida team that's shown some question marks the past couple of weeks.

This. And I would hope if we got to choose one to win, the vast, overwhelming majority of Vol fans would choose beating Florida.

Depends on HOW we lose.

If we lose by 50 and look confused and helpless, **** gets serious fast.

If we lose by 2 TDs and it's a game at sometime at or past halftime, lots of optimism continues into the Florida game.

No. The FACT is, NOBODY knows for a FACT if we're going lose to Oregon or not. Chances are we do because they are the better team right now, but unless someone can see into the future, NOBODY knows for a FACT that we will

Last edited:
Only for the Dooley holdovers (both of them) and other assorted NegaVols. All other true Vol fans will take the game for what it is. Our young team will be better in the long run for having the experience of playing the #2 team on the road IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Honeymoon? Third game in? Seriously? This is a work in progress. Butch got this. Oregon is at a different level, but to be the best you got to run with them and hopefully beat them. For now lets run with them.

Reactions: 2 people
No. The FACT is, NOBODY knows for a FACT if we're going lose to Oregon or not. Chances are we do because they are the better team right now, but unless someone can see into the future, NOBODY knows for a FACT that we will

Awesome.

No. It won't. If Jones keeps it respectable then it will be more of a feather than a demerit. I'd like for him to shock the world... but this is a tough draw for him.

If bUTch loses to oregon this weekend? Most of Volnation has been onboard with bUTch since breathing life into the football program. Will it be over Saturday with a loss?

It will only be over for the trolls and the ignorance you see in some posters already.

VN Store

Back