Will the honeymoon be over

It won't be over if A. We don't give up... B. We play disciplined... and C. The QB situation shows signs of improvement

we will give him 3 years like everybody else, the trick is to keep the recruiting class we got going in tact, the quacks are damn good they are one of the few teams in america other than a NFL team that could beat bama or give them a good game we are not ready for prime time, so if they beat us by 50 we still got to stay behind the team and coach for the future of Tennessee football not for the present but for the future.:rock:

Reactions: 2 people
Honeymoon? Third game in? Seriously? This is a work in progress. Butch got this. Oregon is at a different level, but to be the best you got to run with them and hopefully beat them. For now lets run with them.

we got to crawl first.:)

Nope. Will reserve judgement until end of year. 7-8 wins exceeds expectations. 6 wins and he has done an ok job with the schedule.

I don't think Oregon or Bama are winnable. I do think, USCe, UF have potential. UGa defense is suspect. Mizzou, Vandy, Auburn, Kentucky are all winnable. Of douse South Alabama is a win.

If we do beat them... hooo boy this board will explode with national championship predictions.

Along with a lot of posters coming in and complaining about the defense or missed passes or "should have played Peterman and we could have won by XX points!"

Folks got to find something to complain about.

I don't expect a victory, but I also think it won't be as bad as people are expecting it to be.

ETA: In a year of the upsets so far, I'm going to go out on a limb and say each and every game of ours is winnable.

Last edited:
I don't care if they beat us 63-14 or something like that. I care that we beat the teams we realistically can be expected to beat, and that Butch keeps getting guys for the future so that eventually, we never again have to speak of teams that might beat us 63-14.

If bUTch loses to oregon this weekend? Most of Volnation has been onboard with bUTch since breathing life into the football program. Will it be over Saturday with a loss?

Not for me. It will be tarnished if we lose to Candy, KY Jelly, AU, MO or South Alabama State Tech A&M College. I just want them to show up for the other 5 and have a good attitude and play 60 mins.

Not for me.

I think Butch Jones is certainly going to get us back to respectability. SEC champions? I don't know about that yet, but I do think we're going to get back to looking at bowl games as automatic and not doing things like sweating games against the likes of Western Kentucky.

But it's not going to be this year and it's not going to be next year. That's okay. After the last five or six years, I've learned more about the virtues of patience. I'll wait. We've got the right guy IMO.

If only the rest of the "short attention span" audience could say the same.

The OP's question is kinda like asking if your new wife doesn't get pregnant in the first month do you punt her. The obvious answer is no, sometimes it takes a couple of years.

No, there is no shame in getting crushed by Oregon. Butch appears to be the right man for the job, but this roster leaves a lot to be desired. Give him a few years to fairly judge, as he at least seems competent, unlike Dooley.

Now, if he doesn't win one out of UF/UGA/USCjr, some may start to waiver . . .

No, there is no shame in getting crushed by Oregon. Butch appears to be the right man for the job, but this roster leaves a lot to be desired. Give him a few years to fairly judge, as he at least seems competent, unlike Dooley.

Even then, it would be silly to start questioning too much; if we get run out of the stadium for all 3, I can see some discussion but I don't think it's unreasonable that we lose every game this year to teams we're not "supposed" to beat.

Sadly, we already have some fans starting to waver over WINS against the teams we've played so far.

While the Maxims are great football rules to win games by, they do not demand perfection. Unfortunately some of our own "fans" are not happy unless they have said perfection and it's truly embarrassing to see.

Of course the most vocal whiners so far have never put on an orange jersey and gone out and played four quarters in Neyland either.

Make no mistake about it, this is Volnation. If we don't win Saturday there will be some on here that claim CBJ can't coach, his coaching staff sucks and we will not win another game.
All you have to do is look at how this place almost melted down in the first half of this weeks game. What do you think will happen if we are getting out butts handed to us? Having said all this, I'm onboard and support CBJ 100% regardless of the outcome. GBO!

So you don't recognize the difference between WKU and OU?

I frankly don't really care how Butch does as far as W/L this season, as long as he doesn't show a Doolz-like level of ineptitude.

UT's roster needs to be upgraded over time and so far Butch has done a good job. If he holds onto this class and continues to recruit well over the next few years, UT will reap the dividends. That is what matters, not beating WKU by 32 or perceived "disrespect" from ESPN.

I would say overall, Vol fans were EXTREMELY patient with Dooley. The UK loss did it for a good portion, but I still think most were with him until the Missouri loss. After that I could hardly find anyone who thought he was going to make it here.

Had he won that first LSU game, I think that alone may have gotten him a 4th year, simply because it would have been proof he could win a big game we weren't supposed to.

He lost me with Akron.....

Only for the Dooley holdovers (both of them) and other assorted NegaVols. All other true Vol fans will take the game for what it is. Our young team will be better in the long run for having the experience of playing the #2 team on the road IMO.

It's the one's that are being realistic that are being called negavols.

Sadly, we already have some fans starting to waver over WINS against the teams we've played so far.

While the Maxims are great football rules to win games by, they do not demand perfection. Unfortunately some of our own "fans" are not happy unless they have said perfection and it's truly embarrassing to see.

Of course the most vocal whiners so far have never put on an orange jersey and gone out and played four quarters in Neyland either.

From an offensive standpoint the first half of the game Saturday SUCKED ASS. You need to get off your crack wagon and realize that not everyone thinks that beating a halfassed DII school 52-20 is an awesome feat after having 84 total yards in the first half.

butch losing to the number 2 ranked team with a team thats had three losing seasons is not anything i didnt expect. i will still believe in butch just as much as i always have. everybody that has a clue about CFB knows the two programs are in two completely different phases right now.

Reactions: 1 person
Most knowledgable Vol fans know the next 2-3 years are rebuilding years and have realistic expectations. The honeymoon as you describe it is not what seasoned Vol fans call a honeymoon, we've played 2 OOC games with 2 unranked teams and won, that's all. The real season starts next week and it definately will not be considered a honeymoon....I only wish

Personally I'd be happy if we keep it within 2 tds. But make no mistake, if we lose, there will be at least 2 threads saying butch isn't the guy.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Oregon will have to work much harder for this win than they have all year so far.

UT is better this year than Nichols State and Virginia. IMO

I will be cheering and supporting my Vols for a big upset this week.

If we dont win, all im hoping for is that they make Oregon work hard for every bit of it.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back