Women's World Cup 2011

I have 2 comments about the game.

1) I am proud of our team.
2) First rule of soccer I learned when I was 6 years old was "do not center the ball in front of your own goal"

yea, that goal's what bothers me about the loss

You were a goalie, right? If your defender makes a clearance like that with the game on the line, do you take a swing at him?

I was and it would definitely be considered. Of course if you play the position long enough it's going to happen

Last edited:
She was on the ground and didn't have the time to look around, for all she knew, there was a forward approaching and ready to strike. The real error was the 2nd defender's attempt at a clearance. She couldve/shouldve seen the Japanese forward to her right and MOST CERTAINLY shouldve struck the ball with more conviction.....mental whiff
Posted via VolNation Mobile

it was a great shot and was hit perfectly. Her assist was also a very good one

Here's to hoping between the combined effort from the Men's NT and the Women's NT, the sport doesn't fall into obscurity as quickly as it has in the past. I certainly assume that we will all experience just a few more days of this being newsworthy, but maybe, just maybe, our National Teams have gained some momentum in the fight to obtain our attention. I believe Bob Ley said yesterday that the match just played "was a win for the sport". I'd argue that as we continued to advance though to the final, the sport bettered itself.

It'll never be the NFL, or NCAA Football, but I think its gaining ground. Like most of our national mentality, "win and they'll show up".

It was a fun WC. Good to talk Soccer a bit.

Here's to hoping between the combined effort from the Men's NT and the Women's NT, the sport doesn't fall into obscurity as quickly as it has in the past. I certainly assume that we will all experience just a few more days of this being newsworthy, but maybe, just maybe, our National Teams have gained some momentum in the fight to obtain our attention. I believe Bob Ley said yesterday that the match just played "was a win for the sport". I'd argue that as we continued to advance though to the final, the sport bettered itself.

It'll never be the NFL, or NCAA Football, but I think its gaining ground. Like most of our national mentality, "win and they'll show up".

It was a fun WC. Good to talk Soccer a bit.

Amen. :hi:

only knock I have on Solo is she did a poor job controlling her backs. Seeing Japan's player run up the right wing unmarked multiple times tells me she wasn't directing traffic very well at all.

only knock I have on Solo is she did a poor job controlling her backs. Seeing Japan's player run up the right wing unmarked multiple times tells me she wasn't directing traffic very well at all.

Agreed, there was alot of confusion in the back. Individuals players had mental lapses as well...several times US players where fighting each other for the ball about 10-15 yards out...bad place for that

They blew it. Can we show a little respect for women’s sports and for the U.S. World Cup soccer team by being honest, and not treating them like darlings?

“Couldn’t be prouder of the women of the #USWNT after a hard-fought game,” President Obama wrote.

Prouder? They were 22-0-3 against Japan all-time, and had gone 3-0 against them this year alone. They had the lead twice on Sunday in the World Cup Final. They were sloppy. They melted down in the shootout, with one kick going over the net entirely.

U.S. women's national team deserves serious criticism - - Sporting News

That's a big exaggeration. Teams blow leads and screw up shootouts all the time. No one had ever blown a 3-0 series lead.

Heard this game got a 8.5 on the neilsen. Too bad it was to watch us commit Seppaku
Posted via VolNation Mobile

To their credit, Japan probably played their best ball. Japan's best ball probably isn't good enough if the US women play well.

You fail to realize that Japan had beaten Germany and Sweden prior to beating the U.S. It wasn't a matter of Japan playing above their heads because they were on a roll and beating top teams. Secondly, Japan was winning for their country, not for themselves or for their coach. If you understand about their culture, national pride is of utmost importance and a very strong motivating force. When I saw two of our girls colliding into one another and taking each other out of play, I knew we were slowly giving the match away. There is no doubt that our women were dominating the match for nearly the whole game with ball possession, but we had no one to finish our attacks.

You fail to realize that Japan had beaten Germany and Sweden prior to beating the U.S. It wasn't a matter of Japan playing above their heads because they were on a roll and beating top teams. Secondly, Japan was winning for their country, not for themselves or for their coach. If you understand about their culture, national pride is of utmost importance and a very strong motivating force. When I saw two of our girls colliding into one another and taking each other out of play, I knew we were slowly giving the match away. There is no doubt that our women were dominating the match for nearly the whole game with ball possession, but we had no one to finish our attacks.

Bingo. I think we were playing so hard not to lose, that we strangled ourselves. We lost our free wheeling attitude

USA was 22-0-3 all time against Japan. They were 3-0 against them in the last year. USA was the #1 team in the world. They weren't supposed to lose to Japan. They surrendered what might be the most careless goal in WC Finals history. Japan does not get credit for that. Japan does not get credit for USA having 4 shots off the post. Japan played very well, they were lucky, and they still needed USA to play badly just to win by the skin of their teeth.

Last edited:
USA was 22-0-3 all time against Japan. They were 3-0 against them in the last year. USA was the #1 team in the world. They weren't supposed to lose to Japan. They surrendered what might be the most careless goal in WC Finals history. Japan does not get credit for that. Japan does not get credit for USA having 4 shots off the post. Japan played very well, they were lucky, and they still needed USA to play badly just to win by the skin of their teeth.

Again, you fail to realize that the US team was lucky too in their journey to the finals by coming back in the final moments in a previous match. It takes luck in getting to the finals and winning it all, and the US is not immune to that fact either. Past records against a team go down the drain when it comes to the finals. Being rated number one doesn't guarantee anything. The US dominated the game and played well but just couldn't finish their attacks. The particular careless goal you are referring to was a result of the ball bouncing off players and being available for a player who intelligently placed the ball in the corner of the net away from the goalie. You shouldn't take anything away from Japan on that goal where a player took advantage of a situation that became available. Just like in American football, the bounce of the ball can go either way for any team. As far as who gets credit for any goals is only determined by the final score. Soccer like many sports are a game of inches. Japan did play very well as did the Americans with their ball possession. One thing that the US could not do effectively and consistently was penetrate the Japanese defense, especially the back line. The reason was not poor play of the US, but good defensive play by the Japanese. You need to give credit where credit is due instead of using the excuse of the US playing poorly or the Japanese being lucky. Luck goes both ways as does good and poor play. Again, playing for ones country is a much more potent force than playing for your teammates or your coach and that is exactly what Japan was playing for, their country.

VN Store

Back