Worley

Worley played a pretty darn good game, it's the 2nd team offense and defense that lacked any focus and tenacity. Scoring only 3 points in the 2nd half against the worst team to ever play at Neyland Stadium is of great concern.

Taj Boyd can't play here!! Talk about a Butch Slap if Boyd were here.. Then Dooley might still be here too huh? Guess I'll shut up about Taj...

Worley played a pretty darn good game, it's the 2nd team offense and defense that lacked any focus and tenacity. Scoring only 3 points in the 2nd half against the worst team to ever play at Neyland Stadium is of great concern.

Seemed like our defense went into the 3rd string a bit and that's when it got really scary. I know at one point we had multiple walk-ons in the secondary.

Worley looked okay against possibly the worst team to play in Neyland in the last half a century. Performances like tonight will result in multiple picks in future games. I hope he improves.

Reactions: 1 person
Well darn ! I was expecting to see the second coming of Joe Montana out there today along with apparently the rest of you....I mean REALLY!!! REALLY!!!! He will be fine! So will our receivers. Honestly EVERYONE should be pretty happy with what we saw in the first half. Now before you start flaming. I was there and saw the throws that were late or the receivers out of time or what ever you want to call it , but come on people its not like Worley and his stable of receivers have had three years together to create all american like chemistry. Tonight was a good game for him and his teammates to measure themselves from,? as far as chemistry and timing. I have faith that Coach Jones will address these things and they WILL be cleaned up.
All in all I think it was a good performance from the ones. The twos on the other hand......well we only have a week till next game and it looks like we need about six months...whew..we might be a pretty good ball team if we just didn't have to sub anyone in. But it doesn't work that way. We are still thin as paper and its scary
With that being said come on guys enjoy the win and lets get ready to support our Vols next week. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Worley doesn't have to absolutely spectacular, he just needs to do enough to put is on a position to win some football games, and that's exactly what he did tonight. He managed the offense well, and sold the fakes well. I was pleased with his performance overall. Yes, he was a little inaccurate at times, but he was solid overall. Lane and Neal have to continue to carry the load, and help Worley as he continues to progress with our young, but talented receiving corps. I look for him to air it out a bit more next week.

Reactions: 3 people
Timing will improve
It was encouraging that our "young inexperienced" receivers were able to adjust and make some good catches

Loved play designed for Downs for the TD. It's been a while since we went to the Tight End with a purpose

Oh and two drops. One a for sure 40 yarder by north. But yep, he was the downer of the game.

That 40 yarder was.all Worley.....wouldve been a TD if he had arm strength.

Worley managed the game well and made good reads but he doesnt have great physical ability

Just me but I think Worley played fairly well he was what 11 of 13 for 3 touchdowns.

I think he more than showed why the coaching staff gave him the majority of the first team reps all camp! I think as he gets more time with the receivers some of the timing issues will get worked out but again he was 11 of 13 I have seen Quarterbacks not be that good against air!

Worley's throwing motion sort of reminds me of Tebow's sometimes. I dunno, just labored I guess.

Yes, Worley had great numbers. Against Austin Peay.

And yes, Austin Peay won two games last season. Against Tennesssee Tech and Culver-Stockton.

Also, the Govs lost their homecoming game against Southeast Missouri by three TDs.

Anything less than sparkling numbers would have qualified as a disappointment. Some throws were behind, certainly. It seems - if Peterman really is the best of the alternatives - Worley is the best choice to not lose us games, for now. I don't see him lasting the season, though. Eventually, things will go awry and we'll look to the future.

Good win today. Always feels good putting up a 45-point shutout.

Last edited:
Brick by brick and step by step in our total rebuilding process and it's going to take a few years to get our pathetic depth back up to the point where we have good players at every position on our depth chart for subs.

Very smart of bUTch to get so much playing time for so many of our younger guys so the coaches will have lots of film to work with to get mistakes correwcted, ect as fast as possible.

Now we get to see if our team makes progress by the next game and takes another small step in the right direction like they need to do.

Consistent progress week by week is what we really need to be seeing from our new coaching staff and I believe we will be seeing that progress as the season moves forward.

Our depth is in really bad shape but if bUTch can keep recruiting well for a few years then that will work itself out too and we'll climb back up to the top of the mountain like we need to do.

I hope some of the passes that were a little off target were from 1st game jitters but all in all our starting QB did a decent job against a team that should really never have to play our Vols.

I know we played mostly 2nd and 3rd team guys the entire 2nd half but I was hoping our depth was alot beter than we saw and that we would continue to score more against a team like APSU.

If our depth was good then our 2nd and 3rd team guys should be able to beat APSU easily.

I saw alot I liked that proved we have alot better coaching staff so it's just going to take a few years and consistently good recruiting and I believe we'll be fine in time.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

No it`s not. I would think that with a 42 point lead scoring more points was not on CBJ`s mind. I think all that was on his mind was to get as many players as he could some game experience. I admit the 2nd half was boring but the 2nd and 3rd teams won`t get any better sitting on the bench. The conservative play calling shows CBJ was not worried about scoring more points.

Worley showed good poise, good command of the offense. Efficient. No penalties--no matter the competition--is a great illustration of an offense that understands its job and is comfortable with its QB. He seemed to make the right reads and didn't panic when someone got to o him. He isn't Peyton, but he seemed to be a good solid leader of the O. I think he easily passed he first test.

I personally don't see him being able to handle the solid teams. Previous posters accurately stated his passing performance in the first half. When he does run the ball, he can't beat anyone in the open field. On the good side, he seems to be making all the right decisions - just missing the athleticism to be a difference maker.

I do not comment much on these boards but when a person gets on here: he should have to take somewhat of an IQ test on knowledge of football. If not, questions only, not statements

Lesson 1:BUTCH IS LOOKING FOR A QB TO MAKE 1. GOOD READS 2. GET HIM 5-6 YARDS. HE NEVER SAID HE WANTED THE QB TO TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE.

So, Please get off this board if you keep thinking this way. Your IQ level is pissing me off. Your one that spats out the mouth like you know something about football just to impress your peers......I am not impressed.

Lesson 2: this offense is not about homerun football. It is actually small ball with speed. we like quick outs, quick slants, finding small holes and grinding out 3-4 yards. Please don't make statements to piss me off anymore. Please!!!!

Lesson on in game QB:
ON Worley: game is always faster....always...and yes, that is from experience. He will be fine....beat ORegon, Alabama fine...no ....but we will compete this year!!!

Peterman: has some learning to do on reading the play. He had one good read but didn't on many others.

Shane-o out!

Worley was 11 for 13 with two drops....one was a deep ball which was catchable....but thrown behind. I thought Peterman behind the second team OL had some jitters. I like the combo of North, Howard and downs. I am pretty darn happy with that. Peterman still has to work on his command. Wanted to see him run more in the read option.

Happier with the way Worley handled the read option. Looked a lot better than I expected.

Here's a thought... What if our young and talented receivers came out of their breaks a little early and Worley was throwing those timing routes to spots on the field where they should've been?

The passing game works both ways. Deep routes less so, but crossing routes, posts, slants and hitches depend on the receiver coming out of his breaks where and when he's supposed to. I'm not saying Worley was perfect but all us armchairs need to think about that too.

Anyone remember Bryce Petty? (He is the other qb that lane told to go elsewhere). He threw for 312 yards and 2 tds for Baylor yesterday.

VN Store

Back