Worst team UT has ever played?

stephenk24

Back after a long nap
Are Austin Peay the worst team we have ever played? Or have we played some division 3 team in the past?

Also, has a division 2 side ever beaten an FBS school?

Actually they're FCS or what used to be 1-AA. 1-AA schools have beated division 1-A schools before including Appalachian St. over Michigian a few years ago.

They're probably up there with the worst teams we've played.

Are Austin Peay the worst team we have ever played? Or have we played some division 3 team in the past?

Also, has a division 2 side ever beaten an FBS school?

they are FCS and not D2. A D2 team might not make it an entire game vs an FBS school

WKU, UT-Martin and Ga State were on the same level

they are FCS and not D2. A D2 team might not make it an entire game vs an FBS school

WKU, UT-Martin and Ga State were on the same level

I thought FCS and D2 was the same thing? My bad - I know literally nothing about any college sports under the top level, and to be honest why would I, I can't watch any of it?

I think we once played a barber college from right here in Tennessee back in the 60's. Surely, they were worse than this year's Austin Peay team.

I thought FCS and D2 was the same thing? My bad - I know literally nothing about any college sports under the top level, and to be honest why would I, I can't watch any of it?

FBS (1A), FCS (1AA), D-2, D-3, NAIA

ESPN shows quite a few FCS games if you can get them.

Don't worry we hardly get to watch any of it here in the states either, its just not on TV very often unless its local channels.

FBS (1A), FCS (1AA), D-2, D-3, NAIA

ESPN shows quite a few FCS games if you can get them.

Our ESPN isn't the same as yours... It's just a normal sports channel with Soccer/Rugby/Cricket that shows a bit of college and MLB.

Even the ESPN college pass I pay for (Internet based subscription service for Europeans - like MLB TV) only gives me FBS games...

Taken from Unversity of California-Davis website: Differences Between NCAA Divisions I-A, I-AA and I-AAA - UC Davis Official Athletic Site

The Differences Between Division I-A, I-AA and I-AAA Athletic Programs

There are 325 NCAA Division I institutions divided into three subdivisions:

Division I-A:
(117 member institutions) - new membership requirements start 8/1/04
* Must sponsor 16 varsity sports for men and women.
* Must play at least five home games against other I-A opponents.
* Must average annually at least 15,000 in actual attendance for all home games.
* Must provide an average of 90% of the permissible maximum number of football grants per year (85) over a rolling two year period
* There is an annual limit of 85 student-athletes who can receive athletic aid.
* Must offer a minimum of 200 athletic grants or expend at least $4 million on grants to all student-athletes.
* Permitted to hire ten full-time coaches and two graduate assistant coaches.

Division I-AA:
(123 member institutions) - a cost containment football classification
* Can sponsor two fewer (14) varsity sports for men and women.
* Can offer no athletic aid in football or up to 63 full grants.
* Athletic aid in football (maximum of 63 full grants) can be awarded in varying amounts to 85 student-athletes annually.
* Limited to seven full-time coaches and four "restricted" coaches.

Division I-AAA:
(85 member institutions) - includes the Big West Conference
* 85 institutions that do not sponsor football at the intercollegiate level.
* Athletics programs are focused on the sport of basketball.
* 41 of the 85 Division I-AAA institutions are small private colleges or universities.

Then, below these guys, you have Division-II and Division-III schools, and somewhere down in the cellar you have the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics).

Probably not the worst ever, since I'm sure we played some pretty awful teams back in the 20's and 50's. For instance, check out our thwapping of Tennessee Tech in 1951.

But I'd say it's possible that they are the worst team we've played in the last 30 years. At the very least, they are in the top five, and Georgia State (last year) is also up there.

VN Store

Back