Worst team UT has ever played?

101-0 is pretty close if that is the same team Ga Tech beat 225-0.

I believe it is the same team.Cumberland dropped it's football team that year before they realized they had contracts for games with several schools. So they but a team together at the last minute with volunteers from the student body to avoid paying the financial penalty for not fielding a team.

Nope. FCS is/was division I-AA. D2 is still D2. UT plays in what was D I-A. I know it's a bit redundant but they are all D-I schools.:peace2:

Still not even close to the same level. There's a HUGE difference between FBS and FCS(formerly 1-A and 1-AA)

I believe it is the same team.Cumberland dropped it's football team that year before they realized they had contracts for games with several schools. So they but a team together at the last minute with volunteers from the student body to avoid paying the financial penalty for not fielding a team.

Same team, but not the same year. Your other details, however, are absolutely correct:

"Cumberland College, a school in Lebanon, Tennessee, had discontinued its football program before the season but was not allowed to cancel its game against the Engineers. The fact that Cumberland's baseball team had crushed Georgia Tech earlier that year 22–0 (amidst allegations that Cumberland used professionals as ringers) probably accounted for Georgia Tech coach John Heisman's running up the score on the Bulldogs, Heisman also being the Engineers' baseball coach. He insisted on the schools' scheduling agreement, which required Cumberland to pay $3,000 ($63,294 in inflation-adjusted terms) to Tech if its football team failed to show. So, George E. Allen (who was elected to serve as Cumberland's football team student manager after first serving as the baseball team student manager) put together a team of 14 men to travel to Atlanta as Cumberland's football team" (1916 Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech football game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

I played intramural football when I was at Belmont in the early 90's......pretty sure my team could have put up 21 points against Sal's D last year.

How about overmatched instead of worst....we beat Cumberland 101-0.

Don't forget American Temperance U, located in Harriman, whom we beat 104-0 on October 7, 1905 (the school itself closed in 1908). Our Vols probably weren't very good that year either, because Sewanee beat us 11-6.

I'm quite worried, I don't know if I want to research that game...

It was the week that they announced Fulmer was getting fired. You could tell the team wasn't interested in playing the game, and there was only about 30-40 thousand fans at the game. Sadly that was my wife's first game at Neyland.

Still not even close to the same level. There's a HUGE difference between FBS and FCS(formerly 1-A and 1-AA)

Haha! Michigan might disagree! But yes, there is a significant difference. There are many pro players from FCS though:peace2:

Agree, and I took the OP's question to mean 1-AA rather than Division 2 since Austin Peay is also a Division 1-AA school.

Have any Division 1 schools ever played Division 2 schools? (In the modern era of college football)

Don't forget American Temperance U, located in Harriman, whom we beat 104-0 on October 7, 1905 (the school itself closed in 1908). Our Vols probably weren't very good that year either, because Sewanee beat us 11-6.

Don't forget that Sewanee truly was a regional power at the turn of the twentieth century. Their 1899 team was 12-0, outscoring the opposition 322-10, including shutout victories over Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, LSU and Texas.

"The 1899 Iron Men team's most notable accomplishment was a six-day period from November 9 to 14 which is arguably the greatest road trip in college football history. Manager Luke Lea put together an improbable schedule of playing five big name opponents in six days, outscoring them for a total of 91-0, including Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss. Sewanee played and shut out them all while traveling by train for 2500 miles. This feat, barring fundamental changes in modern-day football, can never be equaled" (1899 Sewanee Tigers football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Are Austin Peay the worst team we have ever played? Or have we played some division 3 team in the past?

Also, has a division 2 side ever beaten an FBS school?

It might have already been said in this thread, but they're not division 2; they're FCS (what used to be referred to as Division I-AA)

A game against a Division 2 team wouldn't be allowed to count towards bowl eligibility, I don't think.

Agree, and I took the OP's question to mean 1-AA rather than Division 2 since Austin Peay is also a Division 1-AA school.

Have any Division 1 schools ever played Division 2 schools? (In the modern era of college football)

Probably doubtful. I think it might follow the same rule that it does in basketball (in basketball, a win over a division 2 team doesn't count towards tournament eligibility; I'm guessing in football, it would work the same way towards bowl eligibility)

It was the week that they announced Fulmer was getting fired. You could tell the team wasn't interested in playing the game, and there was only about 30-40 thousand fans at the game. Sadly that was my wife's first game at Neyland.

Yeah, I thought it was that week. The announcement came during the week before the game, didn't it?

VN Store

Back