Wyoming Punter announcing transfer to Tennessee

One can make a defensible argument that Ron was the greatest all-round athlete to ever play at UT. For you young whipper snappers, Widby was an All-American punter in 1966 and then achieved the same honor in basketball after leading the Vols to an SEC title in 1967. Furthermore, he lettered "in football, basketball, baseball and golf for Tennessee. In all, Widby won eight varsity letters at Tennessee" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football).

Reactions: 1 person
Put another shrimp on the barbie

tumblr_mdza4rljFs1r2zq3h.jpg

Wyoming altitude could be a reason for that average.

Away games were: U.T.jr. in Austin, Texas.

U of Idaho in Moscow Idaho (played in a dome),

U of Nevada, Reno Nevada,

Fresno State, played in Fresno California,

U. of New Mexico, played in Albuquerque,
New Mexico, and

U.N.L.V. played in Las Vegas.

One can make a defensible argument that Ron was the greatest all-round athlete to ever play at UT. For you young whipper snappers, Widby was an All-American punter in 1966 and then achieved the same honor in basketball after leading the Vols to an SEC title in 1967. Furthermore, he lettered "in football, basketball, baseball and golf for Tennessee. In all, Widby won eight varsity letters at Tennessee" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football).

We used to go watch warm-ups before the games, sit on the top row at the stadium (before the upper deck) and Ron's punts would consistently come to eye-level or higher. Unreal hang times. Great guy, also.

Gleeson will spend his year off hitting the weights, improving his punts and getting into FG kicking. His video shows some consistency at 30-35 yds. He's green as can be but all will be well. ;)

Tim Gleeson received quite the introduction.

The freshman Wyoming punter had never played a game of American football before. His punting skills were newly acquired, helped some from a decade of playing the Australian-rules version of the sport in Melbourne, Australia.

Those games back home, they were played in front of 200, 300 people.

What Gleeson saw Sept. 1 was different. “It was my first football game ever,” Gleeson said. “100,000 people at Texas.”

Wyoming punter Gleeson settles in after rough start : Wyoming

They were ragging on him pretty bad in their forum. Saying he was flunking out of school and would not have been eligible, liked the drugs, which I presumed meant weed, and to top it off were questioning sexual proclivity. :loco:

He was not in Wyoming when he did all of those punts.

Remember, he had away games!!!!

Rudy, you are, of course, quite correct. Given the conference he played in, the Mountain West Conference, he almost certainly played one of the highest per-game altitude schedules in the country. Here are the elevations (roughly) of the stadiums he played in last year. Some figures are cited specifically for the stadium, while other represent "university" elevations.

University of Wyoming (War Memorial Stadium: 7,220ft.)

University of Texas (Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium: ca. 500 ft.)

University of Idaho (William H. Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center, more commonly known as the Kibbie Dome: 2,610 ft.)

University of Nevada (Mackay Stadium: 4,564 ft.)

Fresno State University (Bulldog Stadium: 338 ft.)

University of New Mexico (University Stadium: 5,174 ft.)

UNLV (Sam Boyd Stadium: 1,600 ft.)

If you check his per-game stats (see p. 7 of http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/stats/season_stats.pdf), as a reflection of team per-game punting stats (taking into account that he accounted for all but one punt), he had two subpar games, one against Texas on the road (37.6 ave.) and the last game of the season at home vs. San Diego State (35.2 ave.). According to this webpage (San Diego State 42, Wyoming 28 - San Diego State University Official Athletic Site), the wind was blowing from the west at 28 mph during the latter game, which detrimentally affected both punters.

What does all of this data mean? Hopefully nothing significant but it does have to be taken into consideration in projecting how well his performance will translate at Knoxville's altitude and humidity.

Texas and Fresno State most closely approximate conditions in Neyland and two interesting stats emerge from those games. First of all, if you combine the stats for those two games, you come out with almost exactly a 40-yd. average (15 for 598 yds.), which does not sound like too much of a drop off coming down from 7,200 ft. Against Texas, however, he nailed two punts over 50 yds., including a 54-yarder, so I wonder if that overall average reflects a bad shank.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Karl Kremser, Ricky Townsend from late 60's , mid-70's? I think they were rugby-style placekickers and they were great. Loved to watch their follow-thru.

The freshman Wyoming punter had never played a game of American football before. His punting skills were newly acquired, helped some from a decade of playing the Australian-rules version of the sport in Melbourne, Australia.

What Gleeson saw Sept. 1 was different. “It was my first football game ever,” Gleeson said. “100,000 people at Texas.”

I've always thought Aussie rules football players would be a gold mine for football teams.

For one thing, they can punt the f*** out of the ball. Second, they're ridiculous athletes. I could see a center half forward or full forward getting recruited as a punter or tight end (you need good hands to play those positions).

Check out the punt at the 3:30 mark. He quick step rugby punts it 48 yards. Most of his punts come after stepping across the field a bit to give coverage time to get down field, which seems to work. Looks like he did a couple like that at the end for 55 yards.

Last edited:

Thanks for that link. So, in his first game, played on the road in a hostile environment, he shanked his first two punts, 19- and 20-yd. efforts, respectively, which means that his other three punts were good for 149 yds (49.67 ave.). And they were delivered in Knoxville-like climatic conditions. Quite impressive for a true freshman; I believe that it is not unrealistic to expect his overall leg strength to increase somewhat over the course of his career.

FWIW, two of Gleeson's best performances came in lower-elevation stadiums: UNLV (47.5 avg. on 4 punts) and Idaho (48.6 avg. on 5 punts). For the season he averaged 42.0 yards per punt at home, 43.6 yards on the road.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Karl Kremser, Ricky Townsend from late 60's , mid-70's? I think they were rugby-style placekickers and they were great. Loved to watch their follow-thru.
Townsend was also bare-footed but he had trouble with FG b/c he hooked the ball so much. This is the issue with rugby style kickers.

If I remember correctly he was a soccer player and one of the first to be recruited off the pitch.

Last edited:
Palardy is a pretty good punter. He will also be gone by the time this guy will be eligible to play so great pick up. Hopefully will be ready to step right in and boom some.

VN Store

Back