Your HOF Ballot

The steroid issue has finally demonstrated how broken the whole notion is of a guy being "in" or "out" of the Hall of Fame, which after all is just an inconveniently located museum. Which contains plenty of exhibits about players who aren't "in" the Hall of Fame, making them Out even though they're really in. This arbitrary ex post facto crap is pointless.

Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, and Dale Murphy are not HOFs. They should never get in. It's called the Hall of Fame for a reason.

Has anyone every argued that the Hall was not a museum? I've now seen a few posts labeling a museum as if that takes away some of the luster for being voted into the exclusive club.

The steroid issue has finally demonstrated how broken the whole notion is of a guy being "in" or "out" of the Hall of Fame, which after all is just an inconveniently located museum. Which contains plenty of exhibits about players who aren't "in" the Hall of Fame, making them Out even though they're really in. This arbitrary ex post facto crap is pointless.

It's about exhibits? I thought it was about the title.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure why it isn't letting me quote but what does being famous have to do with getting in the HOF unless I am missing your point which is more than likely the case.

I would love to see the other 4 or 5 on your list. He might crack the top 50. Maybe.

Not sure why it isn't letting me quote but what does being famous have to do with getting in the HOF unless I am missing your point which is more than likely the case.

Why's it called the Hall of Fame then? What's the point of it?

We've reached the point where the arbitrary nature of it is just too swollen and obvious to deny. As I told ZJC, I really am to the point where I don't care at all anymore who gets in. The museum's a nice way to spend the day though.

Why's it called the Hall of Fame then? What's the point of it?

We've reached the point where the arbitrary nature of it is just too swollen and obvious to deny. As I told ZJC, I really am to the point where I don't care at all anymore who gets in. The museum's a nice way to spend the day though.

As someone pointed out above it's the meaning of it and the title of HOF that will always be associated with said player. Sure the museum is nice but the players are much more concerned about the title of HOF than having their jersey and plaque up on the walls...

Tim Raines should also not be in the HOF. Not even close.

Career Stolen Bases:

1. Rickey Henderson-1406
2. Lou Brock-938
3. Billy Hamilton-912
4. Ty Cobb-892
5. Tim Raines-808

2,605 Hits
1986 AL Batting Title

Not even close? Come on, man!

You are either 20 years old or don't know what the word "famous" means.

I witnessed the entire 18 months of Fernando Mania. There are 5 or 6 more famous pitchers in the last 30 years. Adding position players makes your assertion just plain silly.

I witnessed the entire 18 months of Fernando Mania. There are 5 or 6 more famous pitchers in the last 30 years. Adding position players makes your assertion just plain silly.

Vanishingly few baseball players break into the national consciousness where non-sports fans know who they are. Fernando did. I think you're wildly overestimating how well known even the best baseball players are in the wider culture.

My mom knew who Fernando was. I can't imagine she could name a single pitcher who's pitched since then. Roger Clemens, maybe, but only because of the crap since he retired. She wouldn't know who Greg Maddux or Pedro Martinez or Randy Johnson or Tom Glavine or any of those guys are. But Fernando was a cultural phenomenon for awhile.

Having slightly above average numbers and playing 2900 games is impressive, but not HOF worthy. Assuming we're dealing with Biggio here.

Jeter, Palmeiro, and Biggio are the only players with 3,000 hit that aren't in. Biggio doesn't carry the same baggage as Palmeiro. I understand not being a 1st ballot HOFer but you have to put Biggio in, IMO.

Vanishingly few baseball players break into the national consciousness where non-sports fans know who they are. Fernando did. I think you're wildly overestimating how well known even the best baseball players are in the wider culture.

My mom knew who Fernando was. I can't imagine she could name a single pitcher who's pitched since then. Roger Clemens, maybe, but only because of the crap since he retired. She wouldn't know who Greg Maddux or Pedro Martinez or Randy Johnson or Tom Glavine or any of those guys are. But Fernando was a cultural phenomenon for awhile.

Please post yo Mama's ballot...:)

Having slightly above average numbers and playing 2900 games is impressive, but not HOF worthy. Assuming we're dealing with Biggio here.

Slightly above average?

7 all-star appearances, 4 gold gloves, 5 silver sluggers and is like 20th in hits all time. Yeah... so many players have accomplished that. He also used to be a catcher and outfielder on top of being a 2nd basemen. No credit for being versatile I guess. Or standing in there to get by 285 pitches to set the modern day record.

You're faulting him for his .281 average. You're penalizing him because he can't consistently perform at the same level for 20 years. Not many people could. He would be a .300 hitter if he played 15 years instead of 20.

If he hit .300 for his career he still wouldn't be in the HOF. He had 3, maybe 4 "HOF Worthy" seasons, and quite a few good ones. But its not the Hall of Very Good.

As for HBP, I must've missed Ron Hunts plaque in Cooperstown.

VN Store

Back