Other SEC coaches fearing the rise of our proud program

SEC does not fear us yet, lets wait till we get in this season first. If we do alright, then we will become a threat because we will just get better the next year for sure. Still looking for that strong QB though.

Blah! Blah! Blah! It's almost football time in Tennessee! Even those of you who're roped into your chairs and tapping your sticky keyboards in ether-induced comas have GOT to be weary of all this off-season humdrum called speculation. All we know right now is...we don't know.:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

Fear? I’m mean I love what CBJ is doing but it’s not like the other coaches in the SEC are Coach Klein from the water boy and Butch is Coach Red Beaulieu

I'm not so sure any other SEC coaches fear Butch's rebuilding plan at UT, at least not yet. I do yearn for the day that every team in the SEC has great respect for the Vols once again.

As I watched numerous SEC coaches making their espn rounds, I couldn't help but notice some changes in their demeanor. Saban and Spurrier were markedly different from previous demeanor in the media. Forgive my orange glasses, but I truly believe they are adjusting as Butch's influence swells in the SEC. I'll provide a couple examples of what I'm referring to.

First, Saban has been far more positive in his interaction with media. My theory is that he has recognized Butch's positivity having an overwhelming impact on recruits and their families. In previous years, he seemed to have a my way or highway mentality. Now he's talking about treating the kids like family. Not to say that he never did before, but it has certainly increased this year. Butch's positivity is working and others are following suit.

Now for the old ball coach. This year Spurrier has routinely mentioned/plugged their recruiting rankings, namedropping players drafted, etc. We all know Butch uses these tactics in the media often to plant seeds with recruits. This is the first time I've ever seen Spurrier have anything but a dismissive attitude in interviews. In the past he was just itching to get to the nearest golf course and saw little value in the media appearance.

To sum up: Butch is having success by out working other coaches and they are taking notice and are adjusting to try and hold him off. To me that is the greatest verification that Butch's process IS working.

Granted much of this post is based in theory, but the adjustments other coaches are making is striking to me. You certainly don't have to agree, but I take it as a sign of great things to come for the Big Orange.

Go Vols! #believe

MUCH of the post is based on theory? Try 100% of it, and really not even theory, more like your hope.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think it's that farfetched to think that they see his demeanor and the results it's bringing and try to emulate it to get recruits they may not otherwise. CFB is an ever changing game, and these guys did not get to where they are by letting their tactics stagnate. What better place to learn a new way to do something than by doing what someone else has shown works?

I'm really having a hard time believing that Coach Saban would actually change his recruiting tactics until Coach Jones actually out recruits him at least once. The recruiting tactics that have secured top 5 classes for roughly the last 10 years he has coached in the SEC.

MUCH of the post is based on theory? Try 100% of it, and really not even theory, more like your hope.

I agree with you that my assertion for why some other coaches are adjusting their approach to media is 100% theoretical. However, the fact that Saban and Spurrier were markedly different in their approach is hard to deny. I noticed that the changes they made in their approaches are very Butchesque and I asserted that they may be adjusting in an effort to hold him off. And yes, I absolutely HOPE I am right.

TIFWIW. For many it's not worth much and that's cool with me. Just enjoy the sharing/exploration of ideas. At the end of the day, we are all Vols here. Except for the trolls.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm really having a hard time believing that Coach Saban would actually change his recruiting tactics until Coach Jones actually out recruits him at least once. The recruiting tactics that have secured top 5 classes for roughly the last 10 years he has coached in the SEC.

I would wager that Saban has had a number of recent recruits mention to him that UT has a lot to offer: immediate playing time, facility as nice as bama's, and family atmosphere. While he may not have lost any top targets to the Vols recently, he is likely sensing a far greater presence of the Vols on the recruiting trail. Just my hunch. Take it or leave it.

However, the fact that Saban and Spurrier were markedly different in their approach is hard to deny.

Actually, it's very easy to deny. I have absolutely no idea what you saw out of Saban or Spurrier that is different than how they've handled similar interviews in the past. And you've not actually pointed out any specific differences, so it's hard to get a grasp on whatever it is you think you noticed.

Reactions: 3 people
Actually, it's very easy to deny. I have absolutely no idea what you saw out of Saban or Spurrier that is different than how they've handled similar interviews in the past. And you've not actually pointed out any specific differences, so it's hard to get a grasp on whatever it is you think you noticed.

We'll agree to disagree. Peace.

Spurrier's interview on the Herd was far more promotional sale job than he's ever done. Feel free to find view the interview and see. I may try to hook ya up with a link, but I'm on mobile. Saban's differences were slightly more subtle, but noticeably more positive and made several references to treating kids like his family in SECMD presser and also on the Herd. I'm not saying Saban has never done this before, but more so than previous years.

I don't expect you to see my side on this bc it is my perspective/opinion. You don't have to agree with it. Nor do you need to get all bent out of shape over it. If everyone agreed, these threads were be far shorter and less entertaining.

Steve Spurrier Audio - ESPN

Visit the above address and scroll down to "full show 7/22". I think that was the episode I watched. Now I'm not claiming you will listen and "see the light." We would likely still disagree and that's cool. You just seem to think I based it on no actual source material. Here is a tidbit of the hours of coverage I watched of both coaches I'm referring to.

Steve Spurrier Audio - ESPN

Visit the above address and scroll down to "full show 7/22". I think that was the episode I watched. Now I'm not claiming you will listen and "see the light." We would likely still disagree and that's cool. You just seem to think I based it on no actual source material. Here is a tidbit of the hours of coverage I watched of both coaches I'm referring to.

Your "source" is the radio interview equivalent of an ink blot test. 100 people could observe the same thing and come to a different conclusion as to what they just saw...or in your case, what they heard...and the meaning behind it.

You have to admit its a stretch what you're suggesting.

Reactions: 3 people
Your "source" is the radio interview equivalent of an ink blot test. 100 people could observe the same thing and come to a different conclusion as to what they just saw...or in your case, what they heard...and the meaning behind it.

You have to admit its a stretch what you're suggesting.

I admit these are MY observations and wondered if anyone else agreed. That's really all I've been trying to say throughout the discussion. Meant no personal offense to those that disagree.

Over the last 7 years Alabama has played the 9th toughest schedule in the FBS. And we've had to do it without any assistance from you guys.

Bout time y'all tighten up.

Exactly where did you get that false information? From the Alabama PR Department that does not know how many National Championships they have won.

Exactly where did you get that false information? From the Alabama PR Department that does not know how many National Championships they have won.

It's not false. Alabama has the ninth toughest schedule in FBS over the past seven years according the Sagarin.

And UT fans should not throw stones when it comes to national title claims.

It's not false. Alabama has the ninth toughest schedule in FBS over the past seven years according the Sagarin.

And UT fans should not throw stones when it comes to national title claims.

Living in AL, I have to listen to Bama slanted radio consistently. Even slanted over Auburn and LSU which are both closer to the local shows than Tuscaloosa. Regardless, even the local sports radio hosts were talking about what a cupcake schedule Bama has this year. In fact , they have one of the weakest SOS this year. Tennessee is ranked 3rd, and Bama sits nice and cozy between Akron and Navy at...wait for it...95th.

2014 College Football Strength of Schedule - NCAA Method

Last edited:

VN Store

Back